RC24 and RC48 installer defaults for incorrect system with error message

Discussion in 'STUDIO FX' started by ntula, Jan 16, 2014.

1. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

Screen shot 2014-01-15 at 1.55.39 PM.png

RC24 and RC48 installer defaults for incorrect system with error message

as part of K9U, these both are supposed to be supported on OS 10.6, but the installer gives an error message saying it requires OS 10.7.

after manually installing, which i have had to do for several NI products lately, including the maschine expansion packs for 1.82 which also is supported under OS 10.6.

to install them, one has to unpack the installers using an app called Pacifist or manually on the terminal using sudo xar -x -f. both methods preserve the permissions. after unpacking (expanding), place the plug-ins or packs in their respective locations ( /library/audio/plug-ins/vst or /library/audio/plug-ins/components, for libraries or packs to /users/shared. then from the service center folder of the place the RC24.xml and RC.xml ( the same xml files from any extracted pack ) to /Library/Application Support/Native Instruments/Service Center. in you /Library/Preferences folder there should be 2 files called RC24.plist and RC48.plist already (k9u) installs these, if not you can make them from an existing plist files by duplicating correcting the info respectively: for the lines Content Directory, just edit the product name to RC24 or RC48. for the install directory, for the same ( it will read like this: yourdrivename:Applications:Native Instruments:RC 24: . if you are duplicating one, remove the sn, key and system lines so the service center can create these when you authorize it. save the file with the name of the product, product.plist.

this method will work with any supposed supported or unsupported NI product in OS 10.6. so far, everything, even machine 2.0 will run in os 10.6, though maschine 2 is more difficult to get running as it is not compatible with the 10.6 NI hardware drivers and requires you to reconfig system files and maschine 2.

i am not sure why this is done, "pulling an apple", and creating the unnecessary need to force a computer ungrade, which in the case of an apple product can be quite expensive and take resources that might be spent on other NI products. all NI products will run on any intel mac running os 10.5 it they are not flagged to prevent installs or run. it does not make any sense that you would make a product run on a single core slow macbook air but not run on a 12 core xeon. it is recommended to run all audio as 32 bit at this time unless you are using insanely long samples that take days to play through. 64 bit just permits one to exceed the 4G memory limitation but takes more cpu power due to the increase of data, meaning a hotter cpu and slower bus speeds.

we do not need more computer waste in the land fills, while the very nature of capitalism requires, like a pyramid scheme, an ever expanding base to support the gold top, this system of self interest can only fail when the resources are no longer available to support the population growth and the golden top grows too heavy and the lower bricks of sand collapse. it is time for a change, and to do so does not just require that of ecology, but as well that of economics and politics. be part of it.

2. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

Screen shot 2014-01-16 at 12.36.30 PM.png

maschine 2 running on a macbook pro under 10.6.8 in 32bit.

3. jackn2mpu

jackn2mpu NI Product Owner

You have several areas where you have bad info. First off K9 any version has specified OSX 10.7 or 10.8 per this page: http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/bundles/komplete-9/specifications/

Another misfact is when you state any NI product will run on any Intel Mac running OSX 10.5; not true.

Yet another is 64 bit and being able to address more than 4 gig of ram takes more cpu power and results in hotter cpu's and slower bus speeds. Amount of ram addressable has no effect on cpu power. What takes more cpu power are programs that require more processing power like convolution reverbs - they are huge cpu hogs.

Another iffy statement is where you assert that NI makes product that will run on a slow MacBook Air but not a 12 core MacPro. Care to share how you come by that? There are no single core Airs; they are all Core 2 Duo's or better.

edit for additional;
    The RC reverbs also have required OSX versions the same as Komplete 9 OSX 10.7 or 10.8 latest updates. See this page: http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/effects/reverb-classics/

You had best get your facts straight before posting stuff like you did.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  4. jackn2mpu

This does not show that you are running in 32 bit; 10.6.8 runs quite happily as 64 bit as I use a Mac Mini like that for my Photoshop and web work.

5. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

the duo core i ran that on is 32 bit only, though plenty fast and still useful for audio and graphic work, m1, live 9 and photoshop run perfectly.. it cannot be upgrade to 10.7.

6. jackn2mpu

You can't boot in 64 bit mode? Exactly what model Mac do you have? You might be surprised at what it can do. You may even be able too upgrade to 10.7 but you don't need that for 64 bit.

7. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

no cannot install 10.7 on it... the apple specs and installer will not permit it... even though as you say, it would probably run.. the core 2 duos are next to get the ax.

8. jackn2mpu

You're not answering the questions I asked you:
    What exact model Mac do you have? Core 2 duo is not the model, just the cpu in it.
    You can't boot into 64 bit mode?
    You do not - repeat do not - need to install 10.7 to use 64 bit mode.

The reason I keep asking these questions is you had so much misinformation in your first post that without answers to what I asked is necessary to give a straight answer. A quick look through MacTracker and every MacBook/MacBook Pro with the exception of the first models are 64 bit architecture and support 10.7.5; all MacBook Air's support at least 10.7.5. This is why knowing the exact model Mac you have is necessary.

9. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

duo core 2.16 macbook pro. apple will not let me install 10.7 on it because the laptop does not support 64 bit architecture, even though i can run 10.6 on it and 1.4 - 10.8 use the same core services with the addition of 64 bit in the 10.6 and on. i am not sure if i can run it, i have not tried to install 10.7 using another computer on an external. core 2 duo with 64 bit architecture is the cut off for apple. the only thing that stops it from running is a hidden file apple put in the OS, it is here: /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist . all you do is sudo in and add your model to it or as the article says, delete the file.

http://jeremyjbowman.wordpress.com/2011/07/29/install-mac-osx-10-7-lion-on-unsupported-processors/

i did not bother to do this as i did not care about running 10.7 until m2 came out. i decided i will just use live instead on that laptop and use the money i saved to purchase push. bad business plan decision for NI. i already installed k9u on it fine so i am all set and have m1 and kore if i need those. since k9u has battery and battery can load m2 samples, i need not m2. i can also build projects using m1 sounds, including the expansion packs, in live's drum racks and use push with maschine's sounds since i own the license for them as well as m2.

apple will not answer if you ask them why it will not run, just it is not supported.. which seems to translate to " our business model is based on obsolescence, users are expected to purchase a new computer every 3 years - we control the software." apple puts pressure on it's developers to follow the same support pattern.

though according to an apple tech, the specs they list are not always true as if you have any xeon mac pro you can run any mac OS up to the latest. i just go a new mac book pro so i can run os 10.9. though i still like my "obsolete" one better as i an swap the battery, access the ram and hard drive, and has the power to run any audio app with as many effects as i need in a mobile solution. only large layered kore and multi instances reaktor can peak the processor, and until now only used one core. what get me a little angry is now that maschine supports multi cores, they wrote it to give an error message if you try to install or run it on 10.6, even though the laptop has more than enough power to and you can modify the system settings to make it run, but then you have to unmodify it after you launch it..

10. jackn2mpu

Why do you keep avoiding the question I'm asking: what EXACT Mac do you have? Year, size, etc.? Duo core 2.16 MacBook Pro isn't enough as there are multiple MacBook Pros that use that cpu. That's critical to finding out what version of OSX you can run.

11. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

they only made duo core beginning june 2006 with os 10.5. i got it maxed with top of the line. i would expect a nearly $4k computer to be still supported in 2010 when lion, 10.7, went to developers and was announced with supported models. now the macbook pros are cheaper in cost and make, soldered in battery, ram, and flash "hard drive" so apple cut me off in 3.5 years.

12. jackn2mpu

Finally - thank you for this but still not enough. And again you are wrong with your info which calls into suspect the rest of what you type. There are three MacBook Pro models with the 2.16 GHz cpu. MacBook Pro 17 inch produced from April 2006 to October 2006; MacBook Pro 15 inch glossy screen produced from October 2006 to June 2007 and the MacBook Pro 15 inch core 2 duo produced from October 2006 to June 2007. Which of these do you have? If you have the latter than you can install 10.7.x as that has 64 bit architecture; the first two only have 32 bit architecture.

All this being said you still are in error with what you wrote in your first post about RC24 and RC48 and Komplete 9. They were, if you actually looked at the pages I linked to, not usable in 10.6.x

As to your $4000 computer still being supported when Lion came out - sure that would be nice but there are times with what's done in hardware that it can't support future software. It's nigh on impossible to have future proof computer hardware that will work with future operating systems. Get over it and live with - some hardware just can't cut it with future software.

Soldered in battery, ram and drives didn't happen in the 3.5 years figure you are talking about. This didn't happen until the MacBook Pro Retina models when Apple sealed those machines. Up until that time end users were able to open up the computers and add as they wanted and was possible. First MBP Retina was 2012. Get MacTracker (it's a free app) and you'll have the same info I have.

BTW - I wasn't going to mention this but it's getting on my nerves - have you ever learned the use of capitals in writing? Makes what you type even harder to read.

13. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

those dates are wrong, i got it in july and it came straight from the factory in china. i got of the first ones released via a special connection. when k9u came out, it was for 10.6, they changed it recently to not install. no, all ni products will run on any intel mac if the installed and app flags permit it. the apps have settings in them to check the os, you can trick it by, um..
    no it will not run 10.7, it does not have a core 2 duo and the processor is soldered on the board. the soldered macs are considered disposable.

14. jackn2mpu

Wrong again. Komplete 9 was never meant to go on anything less than what was shown on the pages I linked to. If you think the dates are wrong then correspond with the people who do MacTracker as I'm sure they would want to know their material is wrong from someone as knowledgeable as you :p You say the install flag can be tricked by something but trail off at that point - what's the matter doesn't someone as knowledgeable as you with this know what that trick is (if it even exists)?
    No one gets Apple computers straight from the factory in China. They are made in China but not distributed direct to the end user from there. Special connection - yeah right.
    And you STILL won't for some reason give the EXACT model you have. It has to be one of the three I mentioned. Is it a 1,1 1,2 or 2,2?

15. nielsdolieslager

nielsdolieslager NI Product Owner

Jack, you're not listening and start discrediting Ntula, why? Ntula may not have all his facts straight but neither have you. Komplete 9 worked fine on 10.6 before NI changed the installers. http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/851152-komplete-9-anyone-using-osx-10-6-8-a.html
    And you do have the dates wrong:
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook_pro_2.16.html
    And it's true, many programs will work on older systems when you know the workaround (trick the install flag).

And the point of the story is that it's bad business to make things look incompatible that technically still work together and to force customers to upgrade from stuff that still works perfectly and has advantages over the present products (and these advantages are often many). The current marketing system is sick and tricks us to buy stuff we don't need. I'm happy for you you run a 3.4Ghz i7 iMac with 32GB ram and have more music equipment than you can shake a pick at, but other people are not in that position.

For example, the only reason I bought a 3 yr old MBP is that the internet is growing incompatible with the browser versions on my good-as-new 2006 iBook and the browsers cannot be updated. I didn't really have money for that but I needed a Mac laptop that could work with internet. My iBook, with Logic 7 and half of Komplete 7, is a great tool, fits in anything when I go on the plane and even the CD burner still works. I doubt my MBP will live that long.

If Lion officially, or hacked, works on Ntula's core duo doesn't really matter. Later operating systems on slower computers are no fun, when I have the money for a newer iMac I'm returning my 2008 iMac to 10.6.8, I really miss it, 10.8.5 keeps crashing it and slows it down so much. And who needs Lion? 10.6.8 is backwards compatible and a perfected intel-only version of Leopard, Lion is just an unfinished product.

16. jackn2mpu

First off these are not my dates but they come straight from MacTracker latest version. Why not contact the people that do MacTracker and advise them they have their dates wrong?

I never go to Gearslutz - more noise than signal.

As to OSX 10.8.5 crashing your 2008 iMac - that shouldn't happen. Exactly how is it crashing? Under what conditions.

You also state there's a way to trick the install flag but won't post it. Care to tell how that is done or provide a link that's not GS?

This whole thread has gotten out of hand as ntula should have known right off the bat what could and couldn't be installed on what version of OSX. Doesn't matter what earlier versions of software could do but what the software that's in one's hands can do. I really don't care about using hacks to get things to work as they are more prone to failure when updates happen.

17. nielsdolieslager

Another thing that's bad business: every replaced product should be replaced with something that's an overall improvement and can fully replace the previous product. Why does NI remove options and products that customers want to keep using? Waves is much smarter, they keep older products, cover updates for a year and if after a few years you need it updated to work with new operating systems you pay a small fee for another year.

18. nielsdolieslager

Why would we? They'll sort it out in time, it's not important. EveryMac says the 1.1 was available when Ntula says he bought it.

You don't have to, you can just google "Komplete 9 on 10.6.8" or something like it. It was the second hit I got.

I can't tell, yesterday it was after it woke up from sleep with Kore 2, Safari, Logic 9 and Sibelius 6 open.

I think the trick could be used to install software someone didn't buy so it could be against forum rules, so, no, sorry :)

It doesn't really matter what you think Ntula "should". To me it's perfectly understandable that he wants to work with 10.6.8 and that he calls foul play, because the programs work on 10.6.8, it's the installers that trick you to believe they won't.

19. jackn2mpu

To me it's not understandable that ntula wants to use programs that are not meant to work on OSX 10.6.8 and there's no foul play involved on the part of NI.

So now you're copping out and won't give a link to the trick for the installers? Pure BS.

As to your iMac crashing after it woke up from sleep - that's your answer right there. Never, ever let a computer sleep that's being used for daw work. Particularly with the software still open - that's sheer stupidity. That's a given and if you can't understand that then you're the one with the problem that can't be blamed on anyone but you.

With your response here you've lost all credibility in my eyes. And so has ntula.

20. nielsdolieslager

Sure, keep drinking the cool-aid from companies that want you to believe you need the latest, biggest and fastest :) You're right the reverb classics are not written for 10.6.8 but they work alright.

I heard about sleep causing crashes, but it didn't happen on 10.6.8. Will try it on my MBP.

* opening Logic 9 with a 9 hour long project, Kore 2, grand piano, Kontakt 5, grand piano, leaving Firefox & Safari open and puts MBP to sleep *