RC24 and RC48 installer defaults for incorrect system with error message

Discussion in 'STUDIO FX' started by ntula, Jan 16, 2014.

1. nielsdolieslager

nielsdolieslager NI Product Owner

Nope, no crash. Want me to try again? :)

* sleep, close, open, wake up *

Still no crash. Not even a delay and Logic doesn't need to think as usual. Everything works as fast as my iMac used to be with 10.6.8.

I even have Kontakt 4 and Kore 2 open. Both of them are not "meant to work" in Mountain Lion.

But it's your opinion I shouldn't have tried to use those either?

2. jackn2mpu

jackn2mpu NI Product Owner

You got lucky this time but it will step up and bite you in the arse. Pro Tools is just one of many that says to never let a computer sleep when using it as it causes all kinds of problems. Just because something works for you in this instance doesn't mean it will work for anyone else nor do you have a right to expect it to work for someone else. Go outside the bounds of what supports a program and you are on your own.
    Never said not to use any program just because it wasn't meant to not work in a particular operating system. Just said that you shouldn't complain when it doesn't work if you're using some kind of hack and an updates causes the hack to no longer work. Most companies are good like that and plug holes when one crops up. Go out of bounds and when it doesn't work don't come on here and complain about it. Or take someone else's side on using some supposed hack that all of a sudden you won't provide evidence that it exists like a web link. If you're worries that it isn't kosher are keeping you from posting it here then why are you even exposing yourself by talking about it like you used it?

Unlike you and ntula when I make a claim about something like this hack and I have a link for it I'll post it. Like they say about ufo's: extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence.

3. nielsdolieslager

Who's complaining it doesn't work? The whole point of this thread is that all current NI software does work on 10.6.8. Ntula even took the time to write a guide.

The complaint is that the installers are made incompatible with Snow Leopard, leading consumers to believe they need Mountain Lion or Mavericks which in many cases means a new computer. But obviously you don't see any harm in that.

4. jackn2mpu

Ntula wrote a guide? Care to put up a link to it? Put up or shut up. If you can't or won't put it up here then what can I say that hasn't been said already. You're scared to link to it here.

Again poor reading comprehension in this thread on your part. As I said before software companies are good at closing holes like this hack so don't complain when it no longer works. That's where the complaining comes in.

And again more misinformation. You don't necessarily need a new computer to run Mountain Lion - a lot of older Macs can do so; you just have to know which ones. There comes a time when old computers just can't or won't run new software.

5. nielsdolieslager

Poor reading comprehension? The pot calls the kettle black. The guide is in the first post. But maybe you expected there's more to it.

If you think it's fun to run Mountain Lion on older macs you should try it.

We'll have to agree to disagree, I believe consumers have every right to complain and call foul play when software companies make products incompatible on purpose.

6. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

thank you. i specifically asked NI when i purchased komplete 9 if it was compatible with 10.6.8, which they said it was, as the spec of the included items were still listed as being so but in some of merchant listings it said as the komplete collection it was, and in other is said 10.7.
    i just picked up a new macbook pro and i like my old duo core better in many ways. it feels more solid and i can swap the battery, ram, and hard drive. it is not disposable like the new ones, which apple expects you to toss in the garbage after 3 years like a disposable razor when the battery fails.. how is that thinking different.... the OS has one nice new feature, the menu bars in multi monitors.. but every time i install and app it asks me if i want to share my contacts with the maker. the notifications.. beware of this, i can see ads running in this in the future. once i open an app like maschine or kontact, i notice no performance improvement except the new one can open apps and boot faster.. big deal.. how often do i boot up or open apps.. i can leave them open and sleep it.. over all, i like 10.6 better, i still have rosetta and more gui control over the os so i don't have to try to find hidden files or use the terminal to configure it sys admin style. it is funny that one of the new features of maschine 2 is being able to run using less processing resources and have multicore capacity: it ran fine on with only one core accessed in 10.68.. so let me get this straight..my computer is too slow because the app now runs more efficient than it did and can access the second core, and i can install windows 7 on the same computer and run it fine, but just not the mac os it is said to require. it does run on 10.6, but some reason NI made it such a PIA it is not worth it as you have to keep changing the system info and i decided to use only ableton live suite 9 on it with push instead and use the drum sounds i paid for in maschine, i did authorize the computer when i hacked it to install mashine 2, into the live drum racks. so when i perform, people will only see ableton hardware.. usage in the best advertisement. yes, it is a game, some of the new macs are actually lesser computers than previous models.

yes lion is unfinished, just like leopard was to snow leopard.. they left a ton of bugs in it and moved on to the next os. to run mountain lion, i have to upgrade something in my graphic card or get another one.. i am not sure what, i did not want to install it anyway... and why would apple not include support for a stock apple oem card in an os that came out about 4 years later.. i mean we are not talking $299 pcs here.

mavericks seems to be some sort of interim OS, the interest is no longer in professional use, but creating an elite household convenience smart TV. maybe it is time to go to the dark side and get a PC..

7. nielsdolieslager

The famous quote from Fight Club: we buy stuff we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like.

Consumers need to keep companies in check because real value is more important then money and companies easily forget about that. Every purchase translates as a vote; either for value or for delusion.

8. mattyess

mattyess New Member

Wow. Super impressed. I can't believe what a scam it is that NI will not allow apps and updates that are proven to work perfectly under 10.6.8 to not be installed.

9. mattyess

mattyess New Member

Hackintosh. Best of both worlds, if its a pain running and managing the OS and the updates, then I'll just fall back on to windows. At least I'll make sure that that the machine has kick-ass specs, and I'll get to choose my hardware.

10. nielsdolieslager

You can fall back on Windows on a Mac too :)
    But I'm thinking about a Hackintosh too. Or a 2011 iMac, they still have a superdrive and you can upgrade RAM yourself. A Hackintosh with good specs, keyboard, SSD, optical drive and a nice screen is going to cost more then a 21,5 inch 2011 iMac.

11. jackn2mpu

I have the particular iMac you're talking about and while it's a great piece of kit I have to warn about the SuperDrive. It's very picky as to what discs it will take for burning. It will play anything except BluRay (which Apple never did) but burning is another, especially if you're talking dvd's. I've had too many dvd coasters burnt with mine.

12. nielsdolieslager

Already? it took my current superdrive 5 years before it became picky :(
    Need to check out how the one in my iBook performs, just learned on Everymac that it can burn dvds too. Always thought it was a CD-burner/DVD reader like the 12 inch, lol.

13. jackn2mpu

Mine can burn dvd's it's just that it's picky as to brand and won't burn dual/double layer dvd's. My mid-2010 Mac Mini's SuperDrive went totally bad after 18 months. I have an HP external drive I can shuttle between the machines when necessary so I'm not totally screwed. I have to wonder if the problems are due to dirty lens's? I have yet to find a lens cleaner that works in a slot load drive.

14. nielsdolieslager

Dirt might be the cause, never tried a cleaner either, just got a €30 external burner from Samsung.

15. mattyess

mattyess New Member

Except that the Hackintosh will blow the Mac out of the water in terms of raw processing power and speed

16. nielsdolieslager

True, but time and money matter more right now then specs. 2011 quad i5 iMacs go for €800 over here. Building a Hackintosh with similar specs, screen, keyboard, trackpad etc will cost the same amount of money in parts. But who's going to pay for the hours I spend on buying the right parts online, assembly, installing and troubleshooting? Me :)

17. nielsdolieslager

Decisions, decisions… I realised that if I want to keep my 2008 iMac available in my home studio setup and buy a 2011 one, I'll have 3 screens of which 2 have built-in computers, it's smarter to have screens that can switch between computers. Maybe first rebuild my desk to integrate my MBP (too crowded right now), get a nice extra screen and in time look into a Hackintosh. Anyone experience with Synergy? http://synergy-foss.org

18. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

perhaps look into a 2008+ mac pro. any mac the has 64bit efi and is 64bit will work for a while. avoid the ones with 32bit efi unless you are sticking to pre 10.7. it is odd that apple would put 32bit efi, the efi is just for loading the OS, with 64 bit firmware/architecture unless they were planning on creating a method to make a computer obsolete, and they did, instead of releasing a firmware update or writing that into the installer to install either a 64bit efi to the system for emulation or to write the installer to detect and install per hardware. since the system only needs 1G of ram at the most, there is no reason for this. synergy looks interesting but 0S 10.9 lets you have multi monitors with multi menu bars and it looks like you have to have them all next to each other like you would if you were running a cluster of servers. i am looking at the last gen of mac pros before the new garbage can or a building a rack mount pc. i already have a nice middle atlantic rack case for it. just need the main board and processors.

19. nielsdolieslager

Looked into it yesterday, the 2008+ models start around €1000, I don't feel like spending over €1000 for a five year old computer.
    Found out aluminium 20inch Cinema screens go for around €150/200, with or without PowerMac G5s with software like Final Cut Pro xD
    Now we're talking.

20. jackn2mpu

Have you looked at the refurb section of the Apple Store? That's how I got my current iMac system. Saved some bucks off a new system and got full AppleCare to boot.