1. Download 190+ FREE loops and one-shots, build a track and stand to win highly limited edition MASCHINE or KOMPLETE KONTROL customised hardware in the SKETCHES remix competition over on MetaPop!

CLICK HERE!

Reaktor Builders Macros - modulators

Discussion in 'Building With Reaktor' started by arachnaut, Aug 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arachnaut

arachnaut NI Product Owner

Great, I have been busy looking through things for other modulators and I'm putting together some possibilities.

Reaktor 5.5 stuff and now Komplete 7 play-time is going on for me for a little while longer.

I have started a small demo on event smoothers - it takes a random LFO and passes it through various types of smoothers:
    standard Audio Smoothers, Control Rate Ramps, Slew Rate limiters, etc., and compares them with scope displays. I think it will be very helpful to see how these things actually work - there are subtle differences.

2. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

here is a demo of the FM4 Macro.

i have also included a Geiger Env.

sowari

Attached Files:

3. arachnaut

Thanks, Phil, I will check it out and I might have some questions.

Here is a preliminary version of an Event Smoother demo.

I am beginning to think that there may be several small ensembles in the modulators package instead of just one big evaluator.

The purpose of the Event Smoother demo is to show visually and demonstrate audibly the effect of various ways of smoothing audio (or event streams).

I have shown the effects of these primary modules and macros:
    Audio smoothers (5, 20 and 50 ms)
    Control Rate Ramp (a commonly-used macro)
    Slew Rate limiter (not so common)
    1 pole LP filter

There are plenty of adjustment knobs to see the effects more dramatically.

Can anyone think of anything else to add, or any way to improve this little demo?

I found it rather informative. It is interesting to see the shapes and listen to the effect. My eyes may choose one shape, but my ears may choose another.

Attached Files:

4. arachnaut

One thing I tried to do in the Event Smoother demo in the last post was to trigger the scope at startup.

Right now it has a trigger button.

I tried a bunch of merges/step filters/triggers/stuff, but was not successful.

I'm sure it is easy, but I don't know how to generate a single trigger at startup - can someone help out?

What I want is the following:
    While running, the scope displays nothing new until the trigger button is pressed, then the display is updated.
    Initially, a single trigger is executed to start the scope display.

5. arachnaut

Still trying to make my trigger-on-init work.

This time I connect the Event Watcher (Chris List's v4) which I believe is up-to-date.

However, when I connect it, my real trigger does not work. The trigger button sends a 1 but no 0. When the Event Watcher is not there, it works.

Any idea what I am doing wrong? It must be something pretty stupid, this should be easy.

Attached Files:

6. salamanderanagram

salamanderanagram NI Product Owner

wait, are you looking for a macro that sends an event after loading an ensemble?

7. arachnaut

Yes, but more generally after a power on (or any time the display gets cleared by something).

I have found some weird stuff that I don't understand. For example -

The button is set to be a trigger - which means send a 0 then 1 or perhaps 1 then 0 - but two events.

However if I follow the knob with a Merge, I only see 1 event. It's always 1.

Let me explain the original problem.

When I have 8 oscilloscope tracks showing the data, it is too hard to evaluate in real-time and sometimes the displays show different trigger points.

So I made a simple trigger to just show the display once when the trigger is pushed.

This works fine as long as the hold time is properly set up so I can get a full screen shot of the data.

However, when I load the module, the screens are blank and I want to populate the display at that time.

I have tried a number of simple-minded things that didn't work, and so I brought in the event watcher, but I can't get that to work either.

So now I am totally confused and must have this whole thing wrongly understood.

I am more interested in discovering what I misunderstand that how to do it, because anytime I get into event handling I make a mess of things.

8. salamanderanagram

salamanderanagram NI Product Owner

Howdy, yeah, i've confirmed that the trigger only sends an event on the on value, but not an off.
    When you connect one to a numeric, the numeric will drop back to 0 immediately, but if you try to get 2 events out of it doesn't work.

I'm gonna upload a macro called loadbang (you'll appreciate the name if you've worked with max/msp before) that i made, see if it works to initialize everything on loading an ensemble... it sends one event at startup and that's it.

Attached Files:

9. arachnaut

Thank you, that worked fine.

A little bit peculiar under the hood design, but it seems to work.

I still need to be careful with the Merge, though.

If I merge the knob first then this I get one thing, but if I merge this followed by the knob I get something else.

I'd call that a bug, but who can tell for sure?

10. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

here is a set of Smoothers that i have collected over the years.

and an Init Bang

sowari

Attached Files:

11. arachnaut

Thanks, Phil

I'll add those smoothers to the ensemble.

I think I see how those initialization things work. The iterator isn't started until all initialization is finished, so we just make it generate a single event.

12. Jorgren

Jorgren New Member

Hi guys - I remember the rachMiel incarnation of RBF, and I contributed some items. I lost interest when the evaluation process became overly cumbersome. I just wanted to contribute something to the community. Anyway, I'm glad to see you're firing it up again and I'll pop in from time to time with a contribution - but I may not track its fate very closely, if you know what i mean.

13. arachnaut

Great Jorgren, all help is appreciated.

14. herw

herw NI Product Owner

you have to set the off-value to 1 and the on-value to 0, if you want to get an initial trigger.

set initial trigger.jpg

BTW a simple init-bang-macro is only a trigger which is set with on-value and off-value to 1!

ciao herw

15. arachnaut

Thanks herw.

Trigger is initially on and then off.

Hmm.. I have a severe dyslexia problem. Up and down, left and right, opposites - they all confuse me to no end and cause constant grief. But this just doesn't seem right! It goes against all my electronic hobbyist instincts. However, you can't argue with a machine or software, you just need to get inside its head and predict how it will think.

Like a poker game.

16. arachnaut

This is an update.

I have not abandoned this project!

Earlier in the year I worked on OMega and later I tried to digest some purchases (Komplete, Omnisphere, etc.).

I have a lot of stuff to add to what we have accumulated on the modulators.

I want to work on some personal project through the year end and I'll pick up again when I finish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.