Reaktor for real time game audio synthesis

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by soundmania, Aug 14, 2019.

1. soundmania

soundmania New Member

Hi,
    I'm investigating if I can use Reaktor for real time audio generation in games.
    I would like to be able to define a lot of audio generators with trigger inputs, control parameters input and audio signal outputs. After having test them I want to use them in my game engine. I want the trigger and parameters to be directly controlled by the game engine software and I want to route the audio output to a external 3D audio SDK. I'm willing to write some software to make this possible.
    My question is if this is possible.
    Can this be done with Reaktor and does the user get the possibility to write the software to make this happen. Does Reaktor for instance come with a SDK to make this possible?

Thanks in advance for answering to this question.

2. Jon Watte

Jon Watte New Member

You can do this by writing a VST host inside your game (there are some libraries that can help there,) and to license and ship a copy of Reaktor Player with each copy of your game (you'd need to talk to Native Instruments business development people for that.)
    I highly recommend you get something working and demo-able before you contact NI, though. You should be able to create a VST host, build the patch for your game, and then try to load it in Reaktor Player and see how it works on your machine; once that all works, is when you should contact them for ideas about co-marketing and bundling and such.

3. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

If you're game has a vst host load Reaktor vst there. So do don't need to contact NI.
    If it works with Reaktor Player I don't know. My is the full version.

4. Laureano Lopez

Laureano Lopez NI Product Owner

the problem would be distribution i think. anyway, even if it were possible it doesn't sound like a very good idea to me. there would be some needless layers before the audio engine itself, which is not particularly efficient. for pd, you have libpd.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Can't you use it like a daw?

6. Laureano Lopez

you mean pd? i don't think so. i meant that for embedding pd patches in code, there's an api (libpd). i guess that's the most ready-made option now. for supercollider you could invoke the audio server (scsynth), but it would run as a separate process, and i don't know if the language (sclang) is accessible like that. also sc has a gpl license, which may be problematic -pd is bsd.

7. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

I've got some Java progs based on Supercollider. One is Eisenkraut audio editor by the same author of F-Scape Hans-Holger Ruzz

8. Laureano Lopez

it seems to connect to scsynth through osc. i think it's the only way.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Martin Blasko

Martin Blasko New Member

I would go for libpd as well. There's quite substantial community, it's free and lightweight, plays well with c++ and other programming languages. I had a brief encounter with this during work on one project, but audio was replaced with internal audio engine due to lack of time.
    Quite easy to use, as you essentially can prototype/develop sound while your main code (game) is running and then just reload patches on the go after some tweaking.

• Informative Informative x 1