Reaktor FX in Cubase 8.5 - where is Audio-In Block

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by x700700, Sep 30, 2016.

1. colB

colB NI Product Owner

/me makes mental note: next time this guy asks for help, best to ignore...

2. x700700

x700700 NI Product Owner

No you didn't. You provided an article which shows that multiple MIDI tracks can be sent to a VST. That's what I'm talking about, you don't even know what you were sending.

And colB. Considering you don't have anything valuable to say currently, why would you have in the future... ^_^

3. colB

colB NI Product Owner

Confirmed that this is doable in Reaper.

Drum track, synth track, and third track with a Reaktor envelope follower with two sets of stereo inputs.
    Test was using the envelope follower to apply the envelope of the drum track to the audio from the synth track - similar to a compressor side-chain... seemed to work, but hey, I'm really a non professional, so what would I know!

Maybe Cubase can do this, maybe it can't. Ask on Cubase forum, might be some real professionals there...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  4. x700700

x700700 NI Product Owner

Thanks!

Funny comment about Cubase forum...
    Sorry I lost my temper.
    It was just that along several hours I was misled. And it took me quite a while to understand that.
    I lost it when I saw I'm being mistaken by guys who don't really speak out of experience, but still speak.
    Well, hope you can understand. Pretty sure that if the shoe was on the other foot you were lost your senses as well...

5. LBH

LBH NI Product Owner

Just like when you use FX channels for other effects, then you can insert reaktorFX on a FX channel and send to it from multiple normal channels. Try and do it.
    It's like using any other effect you have. How the result will be depend on what you try and do.
    Just remember that onle Reaktor ensembles that accept audio input will work.

(In reaktor and thus in ReaktorFX it self you can create ensembles that connect to each other if that's needed.)

Try and set up Reaktor either as a insert effect or as a FX channel you can send audio to.
    If you need further instructions also to use vocoders, then search how to set up Razor vocoder in Cubase on the web. There are info about that out there. Also in this forum i think.
    As i said, then when using some vocoders and other effects that need you also play the effects, then you also need to have a track where you select the ReaktorFX or other FX with the effect plugin. I can do that by creating a instrument track and select the FX plugin in a dropdown menu on the track.

I answer as i understand your question.

Some DAWs use sidechain features and perhaps other features to route audio into a plugin, and those DAWs don't require a speciel FX version of the plugin to do so.

EDIT: In a quick search i found UltimateOutsider that also is in NI forums have made some articles. Perhaps you can see what i mean in here: http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/07/setting-up-vocoders-in-cubase-part-6.html

6. x700700

x700700 NI Product Owner

Brett, it's all fine, thanks for the effort..!
    I can see now it's a confusing territory.

LBH, thanks, I see what I need to do,
    And via Cubase forum I know now how it can be done,
    However, still, for some reason, not yet known, it's not working -
    Inputs 3-4 still don't get any signal.

Appranetly Cubase doesn't have the elaborated routing capabilities
    Reaper and StudioOne have.

7. Novik

Novik New Member

But you use the Reaktor FX Surround Plugin right?
    Once you created the Quadro Group and assigned 2 child busses and than use the Reaktor FX Surround plugin you should be fine. Works for me here. And of course the 2 Audiotracks you want to route into reaktor must be routet to the different child busses you created
    Tried this even with a 6.0 Setup and 3 child busses so that you can route 3 audiotrack on it. Works!!

And if you set all Child busses as mono in the 6.0 configuration you can actually route 6 mono tracks into reaktor.

8. LBH

LBH NI Product Owner

Great.
    Notice i have edited my last post and added a link that might help you, if you need more info.

I can't tell more specific about cubase. Perhaps Novik assist there.
    In my DAW i don't think i can send more than a stereo signal (two channels). So if the effect in ReaktorFX has more than a stereo audio input, then i think i can only use two.
    But by using a FXchannel more sources can send to those two inputs just like when using other effects on a FXchannel..

9. x700700

x700700 NI Product Owner

I used the ReaktorFX no surround version,
    since it's Reaktor 6 which has only one FX version.

However after you mentioned it,
    then I tried the Reaktor 5 surround,
    but still no signal from inputs 3-4.

I attached a screenshot showing my minimal configuration.

Attached Files:

10. colB

colB NI Product Owner

That's the one that worked for me in Reaper.

It was something of a fiddle to set up in there as well. The two source tracks were set to send to the track with the FX on, and I set the inputs to use in their dialogs, then muted their main send channels... might be similar in Cubase...

Also, for testing, use a simplified Reaktor fx with 4 inputs, and two outputs, switch to edit mode, and connect the inputs directly to one set of outs, test, then connect the ins to the other outs manually and test, that way you know that the problem is not in the Reaktor code.
    Difficult to look at that pic without getting a headache because the details are too small/blurry

11. LBH

LBH NI Product Owner

If i understand you correct.
    To use multiple audio inputs in reaktor, Cubase must have a feature to route to those specific inputs. For instance a dropdown menu to select the inputs you wan't to use, just like i think you can do when selecting output channels from VSTs that have multiple out channels.
    But that's a cubase feature/ issue if so. It's not a Reaktor issue. (Reaktor/ the ensemble shall make the inputs availble for such a DAW feature.)
    I don't know if Cubase have this feature. My DAW don't but it has been requested.

If not cubase has this feature, then the work around is to use multiple instances of ReaktorFX, Perhaps spiltiing up ensembles if they do have multiple audio inputs that uses different parts of the ensembles. Perhaps other things. There is a way i suppose.
    And then add a feature request to Steinberg for the possibilty to route audio ro various places and specific audio inputs.

12. Novik

Novik New Member

Like i allready responded on the steinberg forum. You have to use a 6.0 music Surround Group Bus instead of a Quadro Bus. the Quadro Bus for some unknown reason doesn't work with Reaktor and Surround.

Multiple instances are not an option here. As i understand this correctly x700700 wants to use a vocoder inside Reaktor. A Vocoder always needs a carrier and modulator signal. Thats why i quess he needs to route multiple sources into one reaktor instance.

13. LBH

LBH NI Product Owner

That's fine Novik.

The link i provided in post #31 in this thread provide a guide to use Vocoder. The article show what i have tried to explain.
    I don't think that need multiple audio inputs in Cubase to use a vocoder in Reaktor. I can use vocoders only using a stereo audio input and a MIDI like i have explained. That's why it's needed to add a track for the Reaktor FX as you need to be able to play the vocoder to create harmonics if that's the issue.

But what ever that'll work is fine.
    And maybe there is reasons to wan't multiple audio inputs anyway.

14. x700700

x700700 NI Product Owner

OK, Finally made it work.

However,
    only with Reaktor-5-Suround version.
    with this plugin I get the right signals to all my four inputs.

With Reaktor-6-FX I still get no signal on inputs 3-4.

So it seems now that it's no longer a Cubase issue, as it's routed properly.

Any idea regarding why Reaktor-6 inputs don't behave like Reaktor-5-Surround?
    Thanks!

15. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

NI replaced the different versions of the plugin with one version. that version has multiple inputs and outputs.

i can't help you with Cubase, but routing works for me in Ableton.

to clarify, in Ableton the Reaktor inputs are seen on other tracks as choices:

Screen Shot 2016-10-04 at 09.40.13.png

sowari

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  16. x700700

x700700 NI Product Owner

The thing is that Cubase works as expected using Reaktor 5.
    So the required routing in Cubase is eventually fine.

However the same routing exactly doesnt work for Reaktor 6.

In ableton, did you roure something differently when using Reaktor 6 in compare to 5?

17. sowari

no - with Reaktor 5 i used the same routing but would have used the 16 x 16 FX version.

sowari

18. x700700

x700700 NI Product Owner

That's a real enigma...

19. sowari

maybe you should contact Tech Support?

i got a bit lost reading through they thread, but I presume you are creating additional Inputs for your Reaktor Ensemble?

the other thing to remember is that Ableton is one of the best DAWs for routing Audio (and MIDI) and that most other DAWs don't have so much flexibility. I also have Logic and Pro Tools and they are frustrating and lack certain abilities compared with Ableton.

sowari

20. x700700

x700700 NI Product Owner

Out of curiosity, when do you prefer Protools over Ableton, considering Ableton features and user experience are so rich and innovative?