Reaktor will not start on Surface Pro 7

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by robusto_tony, Oct 28, 2019.

1. XLR23

XLR23 New Member

2. robusto_tony

robusto_tony New Member

So far NI is claiming it’s an internal sound card issue, but I really think it’s a cpu issue. I may just return the SP7 and pick up something with 8/9th gen cpu.

3. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

It could very well be internal audio interface issue, NOT a CPU issue! Kontakt 6 for example doesn't want to work on my SP4 under WASAPI - it doesn't crash but it also doesn't produce any sound. So I have to use ASIO4ALL or FL Studio's ASIO driver, etc.

Maybe try installing A4A and see if it opens then. If it doesn't, go to registry editor, then to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Native Instruments\Reaktor 6, and edit the key AB2 AudioDevice to say "ASIO ASIO4ALL v2", then try starting Reaktor again.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Pete

Pete NI Product Owner

Good idea ED - will try that later - though would it explain why the x64 plugin fails and the x86 doesn’t - ie do you know if they have separate registry entries?
    I’ve certainly had equally no success starting R6 with my ASIO soundcard attached (though realise the default for the standalone could be WASAPI).

5. Pete

Pete NI Product Owner

My latest from support is that a team are going to look at this next week. Am reluctant to consider returning the SP7 as the rest of it is fantastic, but R6 plus all the instruments based on it would be *a lot* of NI stuff not working...!

• Like Like x 1
  6. EvilDragon

AFAIK no, they share the registry entry. But there might be some differences in how they talk to the audio driver, who knows...

I would say hold on to your SP7, it's a great piece of hardware :)

Also - I wonder if you hook up an external audio interface (if you have one) to it through USB and use its ASIO driver, would it actually work.

• Like Like x 1
  7. robusto_tony

robusto_tony New Member

I tried that too. I have an Komplete Audio 6 which I use as the default audio interface. That didn't work. I just tried the option that EvilDragon suggestion, but no dice. I like the hardware, but it is useless if the reason for it was to drive Reaktor :(..The pain of being an early adopter

8. Pete

Pete NI Product Owner

Interestingly, I don't have any of those registry keys for Reaktor 6 (though it is installed). However when I look at (for example) Kontakt there about a dozen related keys (AudioDevice, MidiDevice, OutputChannel etc). I guess this may be because the standalone has failed to run yet. Am slightly reluctant to copy and paste the keys from a different standalone but might risk it if support don't come up with anything at the start of the week. Thanks for trying to help everyone :)

9. EvilDragon

Yeah you can try copying those keys from Kontakt.

10. robinv2

robinv2 New Member

Same issue here on SP7 i5 8GB.
    I don't believe it's an audio system issue. If i run Komplete Kontrol and attempt to load a Reaktor preset it says "plug-in not found". Reason 11 crashed when it was scanning Reaktor and other DAWs just blacklist it and move on. I'm running the same OS version on a SP6 with no issues. Looking forward to a resolution :D

11. EvilDragon

OK at this point I'm curious about Reaktor 6.dll. Mine is 57119352 bytes (not size on disk, just what is reported under "Size" in file properties). MD5 checksum is cbb49d4cacd9995d1a7ecc5704c52993

Yours?

12. Pete

Pete NI Product Owner

MD5 is the same,
    Size: 54.4 MB (57,119,352 bytes)
    Size on disk: 54.4 MB (57,122,816 bytes)
    cbb49d4cacd9995d1a7ecc5704c52993 (same as yours, to save you the eyestrain!)
    Good thought but not the culprit... thanks all the same.

13. Pete

Pete NI Product Owner

Robin Vincent!! You are a Surface Pro Audio legend sir :) Glad to have you on board!

I have the same crashing activity with Live scanning the plugins. Komplete Kontrol is blacklisting it too I think (Reaktor 6 and Reaktor 6FX appear in the scan at startup but not in the list of plugins in the prefs, and I get the same plugin not found error loading library sounds)

14. robinv2

robinv2 New Member

Ha! Thanks. It's not given me magical powers on this issue though. Making a video today on showing the initial problems on the SP7 so sadly Reaktor is going to get some criticism. But hopefully we'll find a way through because at the moment everything is clicking :D

15. jhorology

jhorology NI Product Owner

Google take me here. I'm in exactlly same situation with Dell XPS13 2-in-1(10th gen i7). I confirmed it was OK when installed in September. I think it may be related to rececnt windows update and also 10th gen CPU.

16. EvilDragon

OK if it doesn't happen only on SP7, it is indeed a lot more plausible that it could be something related to 10th gen Intel CPUs...

I wonder if trying a W10 version prior to 1903 would maybe make it work?

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Pete

Pete NI Product Owner

That's an interesting question ED - thanks again - but shipping build on SP7 (and recovery image) is 1903.
    Beyond my skills I think - hopefully not beyond NI Support's!

18. EvilDragon

I suppose doing a full format then installing 1809 from USB device might work... but yeah it's maybe a bit risky. But also maybe not really because you have the recovery image.

• Like Like x 1
  19. StirHouse

StirHouse New Member

I have the same issue on a SP7, just submitted a ticket

20. hail toka

hail toka New Member

Same issue here. Find original installer and update it to 7.0.2 through legacy updates. Nothing after that version works. 7.0.3 etc launches but fails to load ensemble. 7.1 and so on fails altogether. Don’t think it’s asio4all or hardware issue. I might be wrong. Good luck.