Real-time pitch scaling / time streching slices (SP404 inspired)

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by estebanbdn, Jul 31, 2020.

1. estebanbdn

estebanbdn New Member

Hi everybody,

Hope you are all keeping well. I have a couple of questions. I managed to change the pitch and tempo in real-time of manually created slices. I've made a quick video:

With this method, I can play around until I am happy enough with an idea then I can resample it using an external metronome, exactly like I do with my SP404 :) In fact, if I start with a just a pad containing the sample and I duplicate it, change the start of the sample (repeat many times lol)... I have the Sp404 workflow.
    If I don't want to resample I can always go back to the Sampler and time-stretch every slice manually. So, the questions are:

1. Can I apply an Edit function in the Sampler in Multi pad mode? If I have 16 slices I have to go one by one which is a bit tedious even after knowing the final speed and pitch I like applying the previously seen method.

2. The reason I have to resample with an "external metronome" is because I am using the Audio module at that particular moment in time and when I press play/record the sound stops. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance

2. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

If this works for you then great but this is not technically RT Time-stretch, what you're doing is using the Edit preview Menu in RT and destructively resampling what you're previewing.
    Real-Time = No destructive edit + samples auto stretch if you change the BPM.

1 - No. Sampler settings can be tweaked on multiple pads at once, (tune, polyphony, etc...) but not destructive edits.

2 - You might be misunderstanding a couple of things about the Audio Plugin, take into account that it's designed for Loop's.
    If you press record and press a Pad it will enable that Audio Loop and your 'Slice' will loop continuously, this is the same as double-clicking the waveform on the software, it's either on or off. I have no idea why/how the sound stops over there.

"Loop" can be turned to "Gate", where the Audio module will only play when there is a note (like the way your previewing it in the Edit Menu) but this does not fix the issue that you cant freely place the 'slice' where you want, it will still loop in the background until there's a note.

[​IMG]

On your video example is the 154BPM that you settle towards the end the BPM of the beat you're going to make or is it just a random number to get the 'slice' to the correct length? That's also a reason for the external metronome right?

Attached Files:

3. estebanbdn

estebanbdn New Member

Hi D-One,

Thanks for your reply, really appreciate it. That's a pity that we can't change multiple pads at once for the Sampler Edits. I guess that if that didn't change over the last years it will remain the same in the future :) The reason I was using the external metronome is because I can't record slices (when using the Audio plug-in) when I press play and record. It would be very handy to have Retrigger playback mode or something like that. I will keep using an external VST to pitch scale everything for the moment then...

4. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

No problem. Yeah, I dont have high hopes of it changing anytime soon.

Have you tried loading your full sample in the Audio module, have it loop correctly and then resampling it to another pad and slicing? It seems a lot more practical to me but it doesn't fit all workflows.
    As luneytunes mentioned in the other thread Serato Sample is the most practical and flexible 'workaround' for now although it's annoying having resort to external samplers and it lacks many of the Maschine Sampler features. Some people also use Kontakt.