Recommendations for a step-sequencer to use with Monark and Super 8

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by krisbg, Dec 19, 2019.

1. krisbg

krisbg New Member

Hello,

I have zero experience with Reaktor, and I need a recommendation for a simple step-sequencer Reaktor 6 ensemble which I could use with Monark and Super 8. Should I jump on Spiral, or there is some other popular, but simpler ensemble? Polyphonic sequencer is not a must in my case.

2. Moujik

Moujik NI Product Owner

The Bento blocks sequencers are simple but powerful, you'll need to do a bit of wiring to get them to work with non-Blocks ensembles though.

3. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

4. Michael Morris

Michael Morris New Member

If you have Ableton Live, theres some nice free m4L sequencers from MaxForlive.com one of my faves Rozzer2, and of course it comes with loads of sequencers, the free probability pack etc...just pop it at the beginning for the chain, before Reaktor synth you've picked. If your Daw not Live then Plugin Boutique has loads of sequencers, I think some free, check the free page.

5. colB

colB NI Product Owner

I posted a sequuencer years ago to the forum that might be useful - if it still works. I might even update it with some of the more recent Reaktor features :)
    It's here if you're interested.

bon sequitur.PNG

This is an attempt at a midi version, so you would have to set up Monark to recieve midi from it. I think earlier in that thread, there are non MIDI versions.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Michael Morris

Looks interesting will give it a shot. I never say no to a new sequencer :) Cheers!

7. Eric-(

Eric-( NI Product Owner

Regarding connecting Monark to an arp, I've read that I should use 2 instances of Reaktor on 2 different midi channels :
    - one instance for Reaktor as a sequencer, on a first channel
    - the other one with Monark being fed with midi input from the 1rst instance

But isn't there a way to create one single ensemble containing 2 instruments: one instrument being the sequencer, and the other instrument being Monark and wire them up together?

8. colB

colB NI Product Owner

Give it a few days and I'll have an update done.
    Think it's a pretty good sequencer, but the MIDI part went down a blind alley, so needs an overhaul, and the non midi part got disconnected while hacking in the MIDI stuff. I also need to update a few things that were always intended, but not possible at the time.

So far the update is about half way done.

Originally I based there MIDI glide functionality on some stuff in there MIDI spec that was designed to allow glide to work even in a polyphonic context, unfortunately, it turned out that this was an approach that is not widely supported, so I need to switch to sending out overlapping notes where there should be portamento.

I'm going to set up mouse over on the row knobs so you don't need to move them to see them value updated, also improve their display to incorporate numeric values and note names. This is almost done.

Thinking also about groove/shuffle. Not sure about that yet though.

Other possible maybes are turning it into a Block, updating the graphics, and who knows what else... not sure if reverse, ping pong, random can be an option due to the way the engine is designed to support skip and stop functions... yeah, that would be something of a total re-write so maybe not :).

• Like Like x 1
  9. colB

colB NI Product Owner

You don't wire them up, but you should be able to use Reaktor's internal MIDI routing. Set it up in the connection tab in properties for both instruments

• Like Like x 1
  10. Eric-(

Eric-( NI Product Owner

Ok so if I understand, within the same ensemble I configure a midi out in the sequencer to Monark, and I configure a midi in, in Monark by selecting the sequencer, right ? (I'm new to Reaktor and today I'm not at home to check out directly in Reaktor...)

11. colB

colB NI Product Owner

Yep

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jan Ola @ NI

Jan Ola @ NI NI Team NI Team

You can use any Blocks sequencer with the MIDI Out Block to send MIDI to another Instrument in an Ensemble. This way, you can also use things like LFO+Quantizer to generate sequences.

By the way, you don’t need to set both MIDI output and input in the Properties, either is fine.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Michael Morris

So was playing with this its nice, does it do midi out, would like to try it with externals plugins? You were saying the midi thing isn't quite there?

14. colB

colB NI Product Owner

Yes it does midi out, but the current version doesn't do glide in a way that is widely supported.

15. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Colin, do you mean like that?
    upload_2020-1-1_0-10-11.png

16. colB

colB NI Product Owner

No, I mean it will play a monophonic tune on a Midi synth that is connected to it.

17. Eric-(

Eric-( NI Product Owner

sorry guys but I really can't make heads or tails. I've downloaded ColB's sequencer, which is an ensemble. Monark is also an ensemble. Loading up an ensemble causes the previous ensemble to be replaced by the new one. So how can I handle 2 ensembles in one new ensemble (sequencer + Synthesizer)? Or do they need to be converted into "instruments" before. Additionally, are there any video tutorial that clearly explains clarify how to connect them?

18. Michael Morris

Depending on your DAW, you may have to use 2 tracks, one with the sequencer midi out configured to the 2nd track holding your Reaktor instrument. If you want recreate a new ensemble using say such and such reactor seq with Reaktor synth you will need to develop a new ensemble. To be honest if you are just wanting a Sequencer to play such and such Reaktor ensemble there is likely a better option for the sequencer prt in your DAW, or other plugins, expansions etc.

• Like Like x 1
  19. colB

colB NI Product Owner

Sorry about that.
    Its in an ensemble to demonstrate. You would have to save the sequencer as a separate instrument and load it into an ensemble with Monark. Or copy it at instrument level with CTRL+C, load the ensemble with Monark, then Paste with CTRL+V.

I can't help there because I don't have Monark, and posting it would break the licencing agreements anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  20. colB

colB NI Product Owner

Hmm yes 'better' options... As I've explained this needs fixing to get glide working. However in terms of functionality, there aren't many analog style virtual step sequencers with per step toggle based skip and repeat functions. See if you can find one in the Reaktor user library? or as a function in your daw? Maybe you have built one? ;)

(FWIW, I try not to build things that are readily available - that would be a waste of time, so you'll probably find some unique feature or combination of features. Although sometimes that feature is that it's not been done in Reaktor before :))

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020