recommended controller for VSTi

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by The Sarge, Jan 1, 2015.

1. The Sarge

The Sarge NI Product Owner

Hello everyone,

1st I want to apologize for my bad english, but I´m german :oops:

I wanna buy from the Xmas-extramoney a controller for all my lovely VSTi from Steinberg, u-he, NI, Arturia, RobPapen and Korg
    but most important is, that I´m able to control the macroknobs from NI-Massive
    what I don´t really like was AutoMap from Novation, ´cause sometimes it let crash my Cubase6.0.7 and made problems with deactivating it :(

I´ve read so much reviews and reduced the choices to those 4 here in no special order:

1) NI Kontrol S61
    2) Akai MPK 261
    3) Nektar P1
    4) Arturia Keylab61

so please can you recommend one, hopefully used by yourself - or are all 4 nothing good and you have THE choice for me?

or should I use my NI-Maschine in Cubase for this scheme? an excisting Yamaha QS300 can be used as keyboard ;)

thanks in advance and a happy new year everyone,
    The Sarge!

2. Bertotti

Bertotti NI Product Owner

To bad about automap it seems fairly stable on my mac with Logic. I don't think the NI Kontrol has enough controls, I know a few people who likes their MPK and just as many who hated it, The Nektar to me looks promising and I have never had anything to do with the Keylab.

Question, do you have to have keys with it? There are some featured controllers out there with plenty of knobs or fades but no keys.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jonsolo

jonsolo Member

If you intend on using Cubase 7.5 or higher, nothing beats the Nektar. It controls a huge number of VSTi's as well as Cubase itself. I have the P6 and along with Maschine Mk2, can do anything I want without hardly looking at the screen.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bertotti

Jonsolo how is the keyed on the Nektar? I really like the looks of its integration with so many things.

5. The Sarge

thank you guys, but hope more will write their suggestions ;)

@Bertotti:
    no, it not really needs keys because I can use the Yamah QS300 (61-keys) and I looooove them playing
    so which controller you recommend then?

@jonsolo: from me too, are the kays good? I tried back some time the first Nektar just a little bit playing, but didn´t liked it, feeled like cheapest of cheap - but could have changed it was the 1st row-delivery
    yes, I´ve bought update to 8Pro too, but not used till today (so 7.5 is there too)

6. Bertotti

Wow that will open up a lot of possibilities. Negates controller without keys is I think having some mappings already which may be a plus if you don't want to map yourself. I am very interested in Behrngers X32 line but is is also a digital mixer and will map as a controller but for just some good controller their old BCR and BCF line is great and very mappable and the replacement the X touch line has me GASing. With looking into and reading some reviews. The Xtouch are more in line with the price range you have for the items you listed above.

• Like Like x 1
  7. The Sarge

@Bertotti: do you have a controller beside Maschine?

8. Bertotti

I have the Slmk2 49 key. I will have an x32 at some point but that is probably a year or so away. Damn thing isn't cheap, and it depend on if I give in an buy an xtouch which can be connected to the x32 if you ever add one. I am no pro though and only play around with music for my enjoyment. If you need real world experience wait for one of the gigging guys/gals to toss out their two cents. I hope I gave you some ideas though!

• Like Like x 1
  9. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

i have the mkIIsl 61 with automap and it does more than i wanted as all i wanted in a keyboard was a keyboard with basic program change capacity like program and velocity.. etc... so although it is great: solid and functional, i am disappointed in it as in retrospect i would rather have 2 devices, a keyboard for playing and a synth shaped one for vsti control... so now i look at the basic roland keyboard a88 ( http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1243 ) one to use with something like this; http://www.waveidea.com/en/products/bitstream_3x/

the novation x-staion is also a good compact controller/synth/sound card if you can still find one.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jonsolo

jonsolo Member

At first I did not like the keybed, but I was coming from a Kronos 88 (which I still have). I wanted good fast synth action. I also have I Triton Extreme 61, which I love the way the keys feel.

After about two days, however, I realized I could really move fast on the keys and it was smooth and not spongy. The only weird thing is the aftertouch; there is something strange about pushing the keys down into the keybed to get the aftertouch effects. I would definitely try it before making the plunge.

• Like Like x 1
  11. The Sarge

Aftertouch seems to a big problem for nearly every controller in this pricerange: M-Audio -> press it down that the keys make dying-noises, Alesis Vi -> different AT over the 5 octaves from total normal behavior to not coming over value 35 o_O and so on...

12. Bertotti

Welcome to the hunt, you can see why I am going the controller only route. To hard to find keys and controls combined just the way you want them. I use my Sl or the Kronos 61 or a QuNexus for keys and extra pads.

Have you looked at any small sythns to see if they would implement they way you would like? I guess that would mess up the price range though.

• Like Like x 1
  13. djwaxxy

djwaxxy NI Product Owner

I have both the arturia keylab and just bought an alesis vi49 and too be honest I wouldn't recommend either too anyone.
    the arturias casing is built like a tank but the actual keys are very thin and in most cases suffer from bumper breakages which is were there plastic bumpers under the keys snap and then they key is no longer bouncing like it should instead it flops about in the keybed..it happened too me and ill give arturia there dews they sent a courier too pick it up and got me a replacement (I didn't get mine back though I got another one and it took nearly 6 weeks ) and the alesis are suffering similar issues concerning the keybeds ive only had mine about 3 weeks but a few days ago one of my keys started too squeak very loudley and it resets itself everytime I turn it off which means I have too use the midi editor eachtime I want too use the vi49.
    the vi series also suffer from little to no tech support ive had loads of issues with mine over the past few weeks and they offer no help and take ages too reply too anything and when they do they just say its a known fault were trying too work on a fix..its gutting.
    were my squeaky key is concerned I got a message today saying someone will contact me next week too arrange a pick up because the spring in the keybed has either broke or come unglued but said Its a fault they have to fix.

if I had the money I would have bought the nectar out of your list.

the akai is under the same brand as alesis now and ive already returned one of there mpks a few months ago that too had a broken key it broke 1 day after I bought it (and its not my fault I don't play hard) I got told all akai /alesis keyboards are getting made in the same place in china and the quality has gone down hill bigtime over the past few months :(

the native instrument one has a brilliant fatar keybed and feels amazing but its really only made too be mapped with native instrument products so for other products it doesn't map as well.

the novation keyboards are very very good I have a novation remote sl2 25 and its keys are brilliant and strong.automap did work when it first came out and worked ok up until version 2 then for some reason novation funked it up and now its buggy as hell.i don't use it anymore and I suggest most people have given up on it too but i do recommend there keyboard controllers and if alesis will give me my money back ill be buying a Novation Impulse

• Like Like x 1