1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Recording quality in Traktor

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR SCRATCH' started by simeonrw, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simeonrw

simeonrw NI Product Owner

Hello All, This might be a question for the moderators or even an engineer over at Native Instruments. I really think Traktor Scratch is a great program and I especially like the built in recording function. But Ive noticed that the quality of my recordings havent been as clean as Id like them to be. My question is how is the recorded signal processed from my mixer. Does it use the computer's A/D convertor or is it using the Audio 8 convertor? Being that it records at 16 bit 44.1 wav I assumed that it uses the computers sound card to convert the analog signal from the mixer. Im looking for a way to make cleaner recordings without any audio processing so might look to external recorder if this is the case. If anyone can tell me more about this I'd greatly appreciate, Thanks in advance!

2. djquartz

djquartz NI Product Owner

What kind of quality problems are you experiencing with the built-in recorder?

3. kourampies

kourampies Forum Member

I dont know about the a/d converters, but the recording quality heavily depends on the mixer rec out.

I work in 2 places, in the first one we have an allen heath xone 92, and the recordings are crystal clear, even when recording from mix 2 instead of rec out.

In the second place we have a pioneer djm600, and the quality is awful whatever i do. And i never play at more than +5db (hate the pioneer gain system) :p

4. DJ_AS

DJ_AS NI Product Owner

Err, maybe try not going above +0dB?

Have you tried all the output options on the Pio DJM600? Although I have never used a Pio mixer, I know that on my Gemini UMX-7, the 'rec-out' signal is too hot and results in distortion whereas the 'zone-out' produces decent results.

5. kourampies

kourampies Forum Member

If you work with a pioneer djm 600 or 500 you will notice that is impossible... with the gain at 12 o clock you get+6 or +7 :S

but the rec out is around 15db lower, its not distortion and clipping, but noise and not so good build quality :p

6. DJ_AS

DJ_AS NI Product Owner

I'd still try limiting the output on each channel to +0dB. The Rec out may well 15dB lower, but that could be 15dB lower of a signal already clipped by 5/6/7dB from what you're saying.

As an aside, I've heard that Pio mixers don't have the best sound quality but I found that hard to believe considering their popularity. I agree that Allen and Heath are lovely :)

7. Soop 1979

Soop 1979 New Member

My quality experiences!

I have found the internal audio rec function within Traktor to be superior to either rec with a seperate program, (ie Sound forge), or externally.
    As long as you make sure you are not relying on Traktor's LIMITER functions and overdriving your mix, leading to lost quality and digital headroom! CHECK YOUR LEVELS!

Switching between 44100Hz and 48000Hz in the sound card settings, to me, makes really no difference in the quality of the recordings or the Master outputs!
    I think in theory it is best to keep at 44100Hz seeing as most MP3s/Wavs are of that quality. Why waste oversampling to just reproduce something that doesn't have the scalability in the 1st place?

My set up involves the much troubled Xone 3D.
    I have had to use the external routing functions to allow my mixer to act as a 6 channel output sound card, (at 44100Hz), routed through the analogue stages of the mixer.
    The mix out is then routed back into the sound card's remaining 2 inputs and recorded through Sound Forge.

This is the point where I don't understand why.
    Sound Forge recording at 44100Hz 24 Bit will yield a lower quality recording than if done through Traktors recorder!
    It took me much testing but I realized it was PROBABLY something to do with the sound card clock settings and the sample rate being offset causing ALIASING.
    My solution was to set Sound Forge to OVERSAMPLE at 192000Hz! The soundcard in the Xone 3D doesn't support this but Microsoft Sound Mapper does! For some reason it got rid of the aliasing producing a crisp quality recording of my mixes.

Like I said the Xone 3D is not all it was mean't to be. The Xone 4D is now on the market with a much higher quality sound card, fixed MIDI controller issues, sound to noise issues and Windows drivers that work!
    But for the life in me ALWAYS TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!
    XONE 3D ONE THOUSAND AND FIVE HUNDRED POUNDS! LOL

8. simeonrw

simeonrw NI Product Owner

Thanks to all for the replies. I am actually using a DJM-700 mixer. The problem Im having is that Im noticing a general affect on sound quality. Im not running my mixer into the red but my gains are set pretty high in Traktor but not clipping. And Im not using the limiter because I can definitely hear that working. I know my mixer has the same ADDA as the DJm800. I figured what I hear coming out of the speaker is what my recordings should sound like. It just sounds like some of the dynamics in my tracks have lost that "shine" Like its being compressed.

9. asthma

asthma New Member

What about 24 bit resolution?

Ok so i record my mix using traktor recorder. When i check mix after and do mastering all wav files are done in 16bit resolution . How to record in 24bit resolution or traktor can only record in 16bit? thanks for reply

10. hipnotikk

hipnotikk NI Product Owner

in my own, and others that i know of, experiences with Traktor, the limiter is usually the culprit of dampened sound quality. turning this off and readjusting the gains may give you a boost in quality.

11. asthma

asthma New Member

:lol: pionner sucks! Allen and Heath or Ecler :) are great

12. rainerh

rainerh NI Product Owner

Traktor always records in 16 bit. The only thiing that is configurable is the sampling rate. Sample rate of the recording is always identical to sample rate selected in Prefs/Audio Setup

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jhon Connor

Jhon Connor NI Product Owner

just a curious thing that i would like to mention... I was ripping vynil thru a firewire connection from my mixer to traktor recording then i recorded with audacity from the master out of my mixer to my mbp. The same files that were 130 or 120 mb on the traktor recorder files were 65 or 60 mb for the audacity ones, both wavs by the way. Is this normal?
    Strangely, I d prefered the audacity files

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.