1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Massive X, Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Recreating a Synth?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by caseyleesharp, Mar 24, 2020.

1. caseyleesharp

caseyleesharp NI Product Owner

Hi everyone,

So a couple years back I created a synth in Reason. I used a combinator to blend 3 custom patches to create 1 cohesive patch. I'm trying to move away from Reason now, for several reasons.

I'm now revisiting the song I created the original synth for because it was only ever an idea. Well, I'm ready to record it all and finish it, but I don't want to use Reason. And I don't want to use Rewire either.

I'm attempting to recreate the synth. I know I will never achieve this 100%, but I'm just looking to make it about 80% to be satisfied with it. But, I'm having a world of struggle. I've been trying to use FM8, but after many hours, I'm not even close, lol. I may try to use Massive.

But anyway, my question for you all is - have you ever attempted to do this? What were your results? What are some tips you can give me?

2. ShelLuser

ShelLuser NI Product Owner

I've done this a few times indeed. Not necessarily re-creating synths but I've tried to re-create some of the Reason effects (like Alligator) within Ableton Live using Max for Live (= programming language). The results we're mixed, it was an interesting experience but I ended up using Alligator anyway ;)

With synths it's a different story... its not exactly easy (and in some cases plain out impossible) to recreate something, depending on the device or the sound type of course (and that's ignoring a possible specific engine). Which is why I ended up combining everything together... these days my studio setup consists of Live (which sits at the center) combined with Reason and backed by Maschine combined with Komplete ultimate. Over the years I've had much more results with including rather than excluding.

3. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

I was inspired by HG Fortune's synth. But never tries to clone it. The keyword is Reaktor. I never used reason.