Relationship Between Traktor Library & iTunes

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by Viktor Nacht, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Viktor Nacht

Viktor Nacht New Member

As a new user (who has read the manual), it's still entirely unclear to me how to manage the relationship between Traktor & iTunes. I prefer to use iTunes to actually manage the files themselves (it's on DJ music, no personal music). When Traktor imports a file, does it leave it in iTunes? Why import it at all? Why use a Traktor playlist instead of an iTunes playlist?

To be honest, these questions are really just the start. Are there any more in-depth resources on how the Trakor Library works and how it interfaces with iTunes?

Thanks!

V

2. MixMasterG

MixMasterG NI Product Owner

Hey Viktor,

I'm MacOS only but a lot of what I do you can mimmic on Windows if needed. The whole iTunes/Traktor (or any other DJ software) integration can be a bit of confusing. I try to make it more clear in my tutorials.

My workflow is:

- All media files stored on an AppleShare file server (=external HFS formatted drive) so all Macs in my network access the same track files. This is easy to backup and even when I'm on location all I need is a (carbon copy) clone of the server on a drive and I'm good to go.

- Itunes for collection management (=id3 tagging and playlist/folder creation)

- Traktor for DJ preparation with the aid of Mixed in Key for basic cues and keys

- Conversion to Pioneer's Rekordbox, Denon's Prime platform and Algoriddim djay Pro on both iOS and MacOS

To make sure there is no duplicate labor in this workflow I've developed some apps.
    You can see my entire workflow including the explanation at:

feel free to ask any questions on YT or here.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Vinyl Tap

Vinyl Tap NI Product Owner

iTunes is the way to go. I love it. I only use the iTunes node for browsing.

I also do my playlist prep in iTunes. You can, if you like, create an empty playlist in Traktor, and click drag the playlist from the iTunes node to Traktor.

Once you’ve played a song once from the iTunes node, it is imported to the Traktor Collection. You’ll see that the entry in the browser (in the iTunes node) changes from grey text to white text to indicate that that song exists in the Traktor Collection.

I use iTunes just for managing .mp3’s and their ID3 tags. I disable everything in iTunes that I don’t need, and I absolutely don’t allow iTunes to move ANYTHING.

I add tunes to the iTunes library a folder at a time. Sometimes it’s once a week, sometimes it’s once a month.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Vinyl Tap

I’d love to get deeper into this, there’s not a huge amount of info on this online, and it’s all pretty widely spread about.

The info on smart playlists is woefully inadequate. The articles are super basic, and don’t do the feature justice. SmartPlaylists are just awesome.

If anyone’s got any advanced info on SmartPlaylists, I’d love to hear it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Viktor Nacht

Viktor Nacht New Member

Wow, thank you! Life took me away from the subject for awhile, but I'm back with a vengeance! I learned a lot from your video, and as programmer, I can appreciate the urge to do anything to automate repetitive tasks.

Question: I impressed by the way you used Mixed in Key to analyze the tracks and get some basic cue points, but I'd like to store the key text in OpenKey. Is that possible with your utility and/or mixed in key?

Thanks!

V

6. MixMasterG

Thanks for your kind words Viktor and glad my videos are helpful. I based all my tools (and my own collection) on the Camelot key notation. There is no easy way to add another notation to it.

7. Viktor Nacht

Viktor Nacht New Member

Turns out I was asking an ignorant question. I just realized/learned the Traktor's Key Column and the Key Text Column can be different, so I can have both, which is great.

In your video you didn't spend much time on beatgridding. Did you find that once you set the first beat the Traktor does a good job of setting everything?

8. MixMasterG

Usually I'm ok with a first beat marker and the bpm as analyzed by Traktor.

9. Viktor Nacht

Viktor Nacht New Member

Thank you, I've been watching you're other videos and they are also very helpful.

I noticed you manage your music the way most articles suggest, organizing it by the year you purchased/downloaded the file, etc. If you were doing a throwback set - for example my girl and I are planning a 90s/2K dance show - how would you organize those files into your collection, given how many different years it spans and the face the current year is so different than the tracks?

Thanks!

V

10. MixMasterG

Sounds like you've really studied my videos Viktor :)
    I also got a necessities folder which are genre specific and span basically any year from the 60's 'till today

But for a specific gig like you mention I would create a dedicated playlist, sort my 90s'/00's folders and let the star ratings guide me to fill that dedicated folder.

11. Viktor Nacht

Viktor Nacht New Member

Yes, I learn best by example. :)

I purchased your Traktor tool, and I can appreciate all of the effort that went into it. :)

Can any of your tools sync Traktor from machine to machine? I want to prep all of my stuff on my Mac Pro and then put it on my laptop. I imagine abusing the conversion tool to make to it happen, haha. :)

Best Regards,

V

12. MixMasterG

glad you like them. But unless your MacOS account name is the same on both computers or your tracks are store on an external device that is not that easy.
    the filepath to your track files is going to be the problem see this video for a brief expalantion
    https://youtu.be/m96k3rMCn3s

13. Vinyl Tap

MixMasterG Any advice on using a NAS system to have one Traktor Collection (and iTunes Library) available on 2 machines on a home network?

14. MixMasterG

My workflow says it all. The trick is to keep the filepath to your tracks the same see also https://youtu.be/m96k3rMCn3s . I like to keep the collection data local, I've got one "main" studio computer and I clone it to all others.

15. Vinyl Tap

Thanks for the response - but cloning between separate machines is the opposite of what I want to achieve with NAS.

16. MixMasterG

I know, but if you don't Traktor will get really (like 20 minutes) slow to start up. and loading indivual tracks in the deck get sluggish to

17. Vinyl Tap

Now that’s information I can work with.

Is there anyway, beside using an external HDD and moving it between computers, to have 1 collection shared between computers?

I need to be able to update tags while I’m playing in Traktor, and also have those tagged files available on my other computer (Playlist prep, making edits, remixes, etc...).

I’d really hoped NAS was the way - but if a ~70GB collection results in a long start-up time, that makes it unusable for me. ☹️

18. MixMasterG

70 Gb is worth trying, should not be too bad startup wise.

19. Vinyl Tap

This is why I’m trying to speak w/people that already have a NAS set-up.

It’s an expensive thing to buy “hoping” it’ll work...

20. MixMasterG

given you have a fairly fast (wired!) network the performance of a NAS should be close to that of an external harddrive.