1. IMPORTANT:
    We launched a new online community and this space is now closed. This community will be available as a read-only resources until further notice.
    JOIN US HERE

[RELEASE] 3rd Party VST NKS Preset Libraries for Komplete \ Maschine

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL SERIES' started by JesterMgee, Jan 16, 2017.

1. JesterMgee

JesterMgee Well-Known Member

yes

2. JesterMgee

Now Available: Spectrasonics Omnisphere Sonic Extensions!

[​IMG]

https://freelancesoundlabs.com/nks/sonicextensions

All 4 currently released sonic extension libraries for Omnisphere are now NKS ready.

Firstly, let me say that this was one of the most time consuming and laborious conversions I have done in 6 years to the point I actually complained about the terrible way Spectrasonics approached making these custom controls but to their absolute credit, I had a phone conversation with one of the guys to discuss the issues and he agreed that in some workflows (anyone wishing to map to a MIDI hardware controller.... IE everyone) it could be an issue when switching between presets but their "vision" is that people will find a sound and get into it sonically with the custom controls instead of "preset flipping" so much, that is marketing "BS" I have seen from the promo videos Eric has said, seemingly to cover this kind of complaint especially from users using integrated and supported hardware controllers which also do not have instant mapped access to the custom controls either....

Sonic Expansions are actually great, there are dedicated custom controls for every sound which help to quickly shape things for that sound specifically without any real in-depth synth knowledge. The sounds are the quality you expect from Spectrasonics and it is a lot of fun.... However...

Every preset has different controls but this is not the issue, the issue is that while each preset is different the control ID numbers completely change from one preset to the next.

upload_2021-11-28_11-9-36.png

For instance, every preset has the lower 6 controls (these differ in function) but it would be logical to think that these 6 controls would share the same ID number between presets so switching means if you map a control to LEVEL it will again be mapped to LEVEL (or whatever parameter appears in that position) on the next preset. However in this preset I enable Host Automation, map a control to my controller and it is controlled no problem. Then I change to the next preset:

upload_2021-11-28_11-24-37.png

While the controls change, they are in the same positions but now what was controlling Level is now controlling "Stereo" for the Tail section.

It just does not make sense how they made these and it kind of feels a bit lazy in how it has been done, certainly does not take into consideration anyone that uses any hardware controller.

This means that for anyone trying to even make a simple template or map to MIDI in a DAW will have things completely jump around when switching presets. They also do not offer "Hardware Control" for these because of this issue too.

So needless to say, to make these NKS compatible required every single parameter between every single (1200) presets to be hand mapped from scratch and labelled cleanly. A lot of work but I did manage to make a helper script that could do some work that I was able to script out, but still needed to load and map things by hand mostly.

The benefit of all this work now is that loading a preset using NKS has every parameter mapped and ready to automate so NKS makes this a non-issue and makes these enjoyable to use. There is one small problem when loading an NKS preset, the custom controls screen is not displayed and the "main" screen displays instead. I discussed this with Spectrasonics and showed a video (same thing happens in Live when saving as an instrument rack so not a NKS specific issue) and they have confirmed this as a bug which will be fixed in the next Omnisphere update.

Given the huge amount of work and the hundreds of hours this took it will highly depend on how popular these are for users if future Sonic Expansions will be processed. Hope these prove to be popular and useful as this will definitely guide my decision to tackle any future Sonic Expansions if they develop anything. I have been assured that every effort on Spectrasonics part will go into trying to make the Automation IDs sit in the same positions where possible to avoid the control mapping problem so much.

Also, since a lot of manual work went into these I am sure there will be an issue or missed control here or there so if you find any problem, let me know and I will update as they are found.

3. Elguapito

Elguapito New Member

w-o-w, that's insane. thanks for this,
    Everyone in this community appreciates your hard work, so don't stop doing what you do best: creating nks packs for us! This is especially beneficial to us as people with visual disabilities, since yes, as I said, I am one of those people and, therefore, I also appreciate the laborious work you do so that we can use these plugins in our projects.
    Really, thank you very much and keep it up!

4. JesterMgee

Yeah thanks, no danger at the moment of me stopping, I was merely saying that these Sonic Extensions are very time consuming to convert to NKS and I was more shocked at the poor design of them from a company that prides itself on hardware roots, these basically cannot be controlled by hardware easily.

Most plugins I am able to find a way to automate the NKS creation including saving out files, exporting tag data and analysing some of the parameters to generate things like character tags etc. But almost every plugin out there is a "static" set of controls or at the very least is mostly easy to update mappings between presets for modular plugins automatically in some way. UVI is close to also being painful with some libraries like World Suite where presets are all different and often host automation is lost between presets so you need to remap again.

Simply because of both the time it took to make these (estimate about 120 hours in total) and the sheer monotony of processing 1200 presets mostly by hand it very much depends on how popular these are if future releases will be processed and something tells me this is Spectrasonics new cash cow to keep milking Omnisphere for a few more years yet.

5. Elguapito

Elguapito New Member

Hy friends, are there any plans for making nks files for the following initial audio heatup expansion packs?:
    heatup 3: hybrid.
    heatup3: VVS.
    Heatup3: vintage hip hop.
    Thanks and I'll wait for your answer

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  6. Thomas S.

Thomas S. New Member

Any news about the VPS Avenger expansions? I have quite a few of them, so having just the factory library in NKS is not ideal.

7. JesterMgee

They are just too expensive, IMO a complete ripoff. In aud it costs me I think $110 per expansion. I contacted the dev some time ago to ask about a bundle deal and his offer was he would sell for half price the expansions on the condition I hand over all my work so he could include it himself. Pretty **** deal and the way he spoke was rather rude so I scrapped any future work for this plug-in. Won’t be doing the expansions any time soon.

8. tempsperdu

tempsperdu Well-Known Member

Methinks this guy is on his own planet and I can't for the life of me understand why you have to keep re-registering Vengeance every few months.

9. JesterMgee

Now Available:
    Newfangled Audio Pendulate
    [​IMG]
    Newfangled Audio Generate
    [​IMG]
    Both the free Pendulate and the full version Generate from Newfangled Audio are now available with NKS support.

Both versions have full controller support with all available controls mapped out (except modulation routing) allowing control even over the display of cables and waveform from the hardware. Sound previews and artwork all included, banks for all the artist content and all presets have been painstakingly tagged with detailed attribute tagging.

Please ensure you have updated your versions to 1.3.1 or above for these to load correctly.

https://freelancesoundlabs.com/inde...-packs/itemlist/category/130-newfangled-audio

10. JesterMgee

Spectrasonics Sonic Extension Custom Control Page Fix
    I reported thru to Spectrasonics an issue which affected the loading of Sonic Extensions from NKS files where the custom control page was not being displayed after loading a preset, the main page was instead. This was not isolated to Komplete Kontrol but also affected Ableton Live when saved as an instrument rack too.

Spectrasonics were quick to confirm this issue and there is now a fix available using the usual Spectrasonics updater. Omnisphere v2.8.2c fixes this issue and will now always show the custom control page when loading sonic extensions using NKS presets

11. Elguapito

Elguapito New Member

hello jester, happy New Year!
    I was just stopping by to see if you had any way to offer me a bundled discount by private message ... of course, if you want. I'm not saying that the prices are high, but in my country ... well, let's not go into details about that.
    the libraries that I want to buy are:
    korg triton.
    korg m1.
    sylenth1.
    well, that's it for now, I will wait for your answer and thank you for your hard work.
    edit: Sorry, i don't need the avenger library anymore... I changed my mind... sorry

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
  12. JesterMgee

13. Elguapito

Elguapito New Member

ok friend, I already sent you the mail, I hope it has arrived. if not, just let me know to re-send it to you.