Release - Beta v0.8.1 - Traktor S4 MK3 Screen Mod

Discussion in 'KONTROL S2 / KONTROL S4' started by Joe121, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Joe121

Joe121 NI Product Owner

Thanks for your feedback, it is much appreciated! I will change the speed that the loop box flashes. The reason for the bpm never being green is that Traktor isn’t auto-setting the master tempo to the playing track. If you click the ‘auto’ button next to the master clock bpm at the top of Traktor it should sort this issue (unless you need to use the master clock for another reason).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Joe121

Joe121 NI Product Owner

I am looking to release another update soon which puts the title and artist on the same line and has the text scrolling. This has been completed already but I am having a small bug when displaying track names that fit inside the box (and don’t need to scroll) as they are sometimes off screen. Once this bug is sorted I will be adding the beat counter (similar to a Pioneer CDJ) and will be pushing a new release. From there I will be adding toggling of Camelot key and adding a preferences file for the user so certain features can be modified easily.

Are there any other features that people would like?

3. Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh NI Product Owner

Well, if you are adding the beat counter then a switch to 'beats to cue' would also be a very handy thing to have. Maybe both as two seperate alternatives to 'time remaining' to be set in preferences.

4. Joe121

Joe121 NI Product Owner

I was looking to add it under/above the phase meter, the design would be like so (single line only, for now, possibility to change the phase meter to the master’s beat counter in future):

[​IMG]

The beat counter on the right would make the layout look skew so I could implement this into another section. I do potentially have room for another box between the loop and time remaining boxes so it could possibly go there without losing the time remaining box.

5. Sûlherokhh

Off the bat and as a user i would say put the counter between the time and loop boxes and leave the phase meter the only other full-width element on top of the wave display.
    As a modder i would say: experiment with all possible variations. I will definitely check out the files with npp as soon as i can reserve a weekend to figure out how the stuff works and what commands and values you played around with. :)

6. Joe121

Joe121 NI Product Owner

I have to agree with both haha. I’m just trying to get as much done as possible at the moment to check the capabilities of the screens, there’s always time to streamline everything afterwards.

Feel free to check it out with npp, I use it for pretty much all my coding (mostly web stuff). Would be nice to see other people’s progress with the screens, would love to have the browser on there but i have no experience with qml files apart from this project. If you still have the original screen files you should be able to compare easily the differences. The majority of the changes are done on the TrackDeck.qml file, the waveform colour was changed with the colors.qml file and there have been a few variables added to DeckInfo.qml

Edit: And also DeckHeader.qml for the title box

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  7. Sûlherokhh

Thanks for the pointers i'd have compared all the files otherwise.
    The s8 puts the browser on screen, right? There might be something useful in the files like how to check for the condition 'only browser on' and how to read and display the traktor tags. i'd be surprised it the two controllers used a different set of functions.

8. Sûlherokhh

If it's possible to add minute markers inside the wave form display you could maybe remove the remaining time counter.

9. Tijn71

Tijn71 NI Product Owner

Why let the artist and track name scroll? Right now you can see artist and trackname in one blink of your eye. When you have them scrolling in one line it takes time to read it. Don't make it too hard for yourself. Maybe as an option then ;).
    Thanks again for the effort. I tried to look into these files but do not understand them enough to make changes myself. But will have a go again with npp (just found out about this program).

10. Joe121

Joe121 NI Product Owner

Looking at the S8 files the browser is done using an overlay, I will need to figure out how these work though, will be further down the line. Minute markers could also be added to the waveform, good idea. I hope to have a moving waveform in future so this feature may end up being redundant.

11. Joe121

Joe121 NI Product Owner

I’m taking the artist line out because more room was needed to make the phase meter and the waveform a little bigger, also you will generally know the artist as you have just loaded the track. I have just this second managed to get the scrolling working perfectly on the same line... I have also just managed to toggle between the title and artist by holding shift, which would you prefer?

12. Sûlherokhh

i need to see both
    I need to see both variants in action before saying anything about them apart from this general opinion. The fewer moving elements the better.
    I would also prefer the loop blinking to be a bit less frequent and maybe pulsing between two distinct shades of green instead of two very contrasting colours. In the club every LED or screen element that is too bright or hectic tends to focus (maybe even a bit too much) the DJ's attention, making everything else a bit less easy to fucus on. I have once worked with closed eyes because my eyes got tired of bright blinking LED's. :)

As a modder i would definitely like to see the moving titles and wave, maybe as a side WiP for the curious. :)

13. Joe121

Joe121 NI Product Owner

Currently tired of bugs with the scrolling text so I have allowed the ability to toggle by holding the shift button.

14. Tijn71

Tijn71 NI Product Owner

I'm a fan of less is more. And agree with Sûlherokhh that fewer moving parts is better. For a detailed view you need to look at your computer screen anyway. I see the little screens as a summary.
    In my line of business blinking lights mean direct action needed. So every moving or blinking part will take my attention away from the current action at that time (like fx or fader handling). And if I have to make a choice between artist name or tiltle it would be tiltle. But a toggle option is nice.

15. OscarD

OscarD NI Product Owner

Joe, any success making the key lock indicator any more visible? I'm loving your v0.3 but find at gigs that i have to take an extra second and concentrate to see if the keylock is on (heaven forbid that I actually wear my glasses during a gig! :) ) Thanks!

16. Joe121

Joe121 NI Product Owner

Turns out the scrolling/marquee text isn’t working properly because the string length apparently doesn’t change when loading a new song. No clue why this is but for now I have just got toggling via the shift button.

17. Joe121

Joe121 NI Product Owner

It is something that I’m thinking of improving but due to the size and multiple possible background colours, it’s hard to find something that doesn’t take up too much space and also contrasts to all key colours.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Joe121

Joe121 NI Product Owner

Beta v0.4 is out now!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Revan

Revan NI Product Owner

Super Clean.

Love it.

Attached Files:

20. Revan

Revan NI Product Owner

Hey dude,

Love the latest release.

I guess a small one from me would be perchance a choice of colour options, as i have said in the past the stock 'blue' that ships with the S4 for the stripe was boring and difficult to read, and your orangey [word] variant makes it easier to see what's happening within the track.

just a small consideration.