Rename Kontakt 4 dll's for convenience?

Discussion in 'Technical Issues - KOMPLETE (Archive)' started by troyt, Aug 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. troyt

troyt New Member

Can someone let me know if this is possible with Kontakt 4:

I use the EWQL Symphonic Orch. Gold library which uses a custom version of the Kontakt engine. When I was using the custom Kontakt engine I was able to copy and rename the VST dll for convenience. I would call them "SO Strings", "SO Brass", "SO Winds", etc. This made it easier when adding new tracks and assigning them to the appropriate VST instrument, instead of having to remember which of the 5 or 6 instances of the same plug-in I was assigning strings to, it was actually called that.

For a few reasons, like memory allocation and ease of reading the patch names, I've been using K4 to play these libraries and have been very happy. The only thing I'd like to do now is copy and rename the K4 dll files like I did before, but when I try I get all sorts of varying results. The main thing is that Cubase 5 only ever sees 3 instances of K4... one reg, one 8 out, and one 16 out. I've tried different naming schemes but nothing works.

Am I out of luck, or is there another way?

Thanks

P.S. I know I can buy a newer version of the library, but that isn't an option at the moment...

2. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

EWQLSO uses Kompakt natively, not Kontakt. You can load it in Kontakt, tough.

I advise you not to rename the Kontakt 4 DLLs, because Kontakt 4 is not limited in the way Kompakt Player was (where you had one Kompakt Player per orchestra section, in EWQLSO Platinum). Simply rename the instance of the loaded Kontakt 4 plugin in Cubase AFTER you load it, I am fairly sure you can do it, and then you will know where you have your strings, your brass, your woodwinds, etc., loaded.

3. troyt

troyt New Member

I appreciate your response. I've tried to rename the plug-in instance, but I'm not sure you actually can do that in Cubase.

If anyone knows how to do this it would be a big help. I'm using Cubase 5.5.0 on Windows 7 64-bit.

4. kb123

kb123 NI Product Owner

If you create a VST instrument and then create a track for it rather than creating a track and putting a VST instrument on it, it should be possible to then rename the VST instrument to whatever you want

5. troyt

troyt New Member

If I read you right, then what you would actually be doing is renaming the new MIDI Track that you just put into the project window. You would still have to assign that MIDI track to your VSTi through the Output Routing drop-down menu and select a VSTi that you loaded in the VST Instruments panel (F11).

My problem is that say I have 64 MIDI tracks and 7 instances of Kontakt loaded. (This may seem like an excessive amount, but it's a bit modest for a full score with all of the articulations.) When I need to add a new track for say a Timpani, I have to either remember which instance of Kontakt I'm putting my Perc. into, or open a few up until I find it. I'd like to rename the instances to they reflect my usage in the VSTi drop-down.

I'm probably out of luck, so maybe I'll just have to use Post-It notes on my monitor... oh well.

6. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

Does Cubase have track track templates of some kind? Meaning - you load your Kontakt instances with your whole template, and then you select all tracks and save as template, then when you open up a new project, you just load the template?

Also, it honestly sounds weird that Cubase doesn't allow assigning alias names to VST instances you load.

Reaper can do all that :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.