1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Request for an "S1 expansion deck"

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by KLH, Mar 21, 2012.

1. KLH

KLH NI Product Owner

In the spirit of the F1 and X1, I hope that NI releases a S1 deck that represents ONE DECK of the S2/S4. With the S1, you can control the Deck C or Deck D decks without having to use the layer/deck switch buttons. The S1 would be MIDI or HID.

You'd have a platter, FX controls, cue points, and a pitch slider.

Check out a mockup (attached).

-KLH

Attached Files:

2. Audio Slave

Audio Slave NI Product Owner

If they release this type of controller, i would buy 2.This is really the type of interface that I'm waiting for. Maybe with some more fonctionality like a real reverse mode, a cup button and the bend buttons and more like a S4 deck part.

3. tomazzzi

tomazzzi New Member

I would also buy 2 immediatly !

4. Audio Slave

With the release of the cdj 2000 NXS, it's time for NI to release a great controller. Let's go NI. We are waiting....

5. vincelin

vincelin Forum Member

Totally, NI would be stupid not to release a high quality controller w/ jogs, loop controls, etc.

There really isn't anything that is worthy on the market right now and CDJs are really overpriced and will be obselete simply because the CD function will rarely be used in the future.

6. gmint

gmint NI Product Owner

I would probably be down with these as well. Personally, I love my S4 and I don't want to have to carry around something the size of two (or worse, four) CDJ-2000s, but I do feel like one of the weak points of the S4 is the jog wheels. Certainly would be nice to have something more akin to the jogs on the CDJs...

7. Audio Slave

S4/S2 are great but I want to use my mixer so they are not for me. X1 has no jog and I'am not fan of timecode cd (but Vinyl timecode is a great). For the price of 2 cdj 2000 NXS, you can buy a very good laptop, a mixer, Traktor pro and 2 'S1' type controller.
    NI, you can take lot of part on the market cause pioneer is really overpriced.

8. NReek

NReek NI Product Owner

Count me in!

9. malzfreund

malzfreund NI Product Owner

10. Audio Slave

8 pre-sized loops buttons (+ in/out buttons)
    8 cues buttons
    flux mode button
    Reverse mode
    Start/stop timing control (not via a fx)
    Surely with a new version of Traktor.
    and....a BIG JOG for a BIG JOY
    Just a dream....

11. carmomi

carmomi NI Product Owner

and decent browsing of the tree, playlists and tracks... :)

12. Audio Slave

13. Rotor4444

Rotor4444 New Member

+1
    same idea! that's just what I'm looking for! =)

Attached Files:

14. Ghost_On_Da_Maschine

Ghost_On_Da_Maschine NI Product Owner

Seems like you should want NI to come up with a new design for a single deck instead of just chopping the deck off the S4.

15. frankle

frankle NI Product Owner

Late last year I was talking to Martin Froehlich when he was in Australia, and he asked what I'd like to see ... And what I described to him was basically the unit in this thread but the size of the CDJ2000.

Nice big platter, and a screen with HID information feedback so you you don't always have to turn to the laptop screen.

And it should be the size (length/width/height) of the 1000/2000 so that it's basically a slot in replacement for existing players in clubs and console cases. I understand that it could be as flat as the S4, and if you've ever opened up a CDJ it's bottom half is air and a CD mech so it's possible, but my personal preference is to have players (and controllers) at mixer height.

Built in soundcard, not important or needed.

Built in USB hub, yes please! Either for daisy-chaining a second/third S1, or adding in X1 and/or F1.

Top right corner, backlit buttons for A/B/C/D deck select. Something that using a CDJ2000 in HID mode lacks, an easy way to change the deck you're controlling.

And probably a few other things that I've forgotten since he was here December last year :)

I would certainly buy 2 straight away, and probably a third for S&G's :D

16. Audio Slave

Sorry but who is Martin Froehlich?

But I want 2 of this controllers too.:)

17. frankle

frankle NI Product Owner

He's one of the main sales and marketing guys from NI Germany.

Oh yeah, I forgot about one of the most important things ...

It absolutely MUST have an INTERNAL power supply.

To make it the most painless swap-out for CDJ's it needs to use a basic "figure-8" power cord with 110-240v internal PSU. No plug packs. I'd pay an extra $50-$100 per unit just for this feature.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  18. Notanon

Notanon NI Product Owner

Two of these with a display to see the track data and waveform without needing to look at the laptop, along with a USB jack and built-in soundcard to enable it to run in standalone mode without Traktor, and I'd happily get rid of my CDJ400s. In other words, a CDJ without the CD player components and mechanisms, and I think now would be a good time to introduce it as digital DJing is becoming more dominant enough to be able to not rely on those who use CDs instead.

19. djtorchmusic

djtorchmusic Forum Member

Do you mean something like this?

http://usa.d-mpro.com/us/denondj/pr...llers(DMPro_US)&subcatid=0&pid=DNSC2000(DMPro)

I think I'd prefer them to come out with something like an EKS Otus Raw, though.

20. Notanon

Notanon NI Product Owner

Traktor S1 MK1.jpg

Decided to sit down with GIMP and managed to create a knock-up of what I would think might be close to a possible S1. Needs some refinement, but only so much I could do with the template images. Had posted this in another thread, but decided to relocate it here as it's more appropriate and deleted the other post in question.

Main thing is the screen that displays what is currently loaded in the deck and if any effects have been loaded and in which order, which is pretty much how the decks look in Traktor itself already, in order to reduce needing to look at the monitor during a set and be able to engage with a crowd more easily as a result. Shouldn't be too hard with a direct USB2.0 cable link to the laptop or PC, but if data transfer limits becomes an issue, maybe USB3.0 instead. Also added in the ability to browse via the S1 and select which deck to assign to it. Power-wise, might be able to run the entire thing off the USB if a fairly efficient LED screen is used, but could provide an option for an additional power output if a second USB port at the back is added to daisy-chain a F1 controller off of it if need be. Also relocated the wet/dry button and knob to allow for a fourth effect knob and button to be enabled, along with the option to choose which remix deck to run the effects from.

Dimensions wise, this is pretty much equal to the depth of the Z2 mixer, so it can slot in snugly beside it. Theoretically, a F1 Mk2 with a simlar screen next to it of a similar depth would be a winning combination. Could even do the same on the opposite side of the mixer and potentially not need a CDJ of any description at all. Would pretty much render the X1 redundant, but some creative remapping could still render it useful.