1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Request NI supported Traktor Pro mapping for Kontrol S4

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by haze324, Nov 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haze324

haze324 Forum Member

Request a Traktor Pro mapping for the S4.

As some of the folks are getting things sorted on their laptops with audio drops and what not. Some guys are frustrated, others are getting new laptops. I think in the meantime for those who already have Traktor Pro it would be beneficial to those users to use the Kontrol S4 in midi mode and still get to gig with it, get used to the hardware, and give a little gap time to remedy any audio drops.

Perhaps NI or Rainer or a forum member could develop something?

2. Fraa

Fraa Forum Member

Or you could make it yourself?

3. haze324

haze324 Forum Member

I would, and most likely will (my back up laptop is an underpowerd Netbook - don't think it'll support S4)

...but my S4 has not arrived yet.

This request was intended more for the guys who are having iaudio issues can still play with their Kontrol S4. I don't expect any drops as I use a MBP as my primary.

(also the post was intended for Native Instruments to provide support and provide a mapping for one of their own softwares - the "make it yourself" was not the real intent here)

4. Fraa

Fraa Forum Member

I think they have enough on their hands for now, so I wouldn't bet on it.
    I guess that those people will just have to do it theirselves.

5. haze324

haze324 Forum Member

I would bet the NI staff can midi map with thier eyes closed! Undestanding they are busy or perhaps for business reasons my not want to release a TSI, I volunteered Rainer :)

6. rainerh

rainerh NI Product Owner

Sometimes I need to do other things to make my living ;)

7. haze324

haze324 Forum Member

I gotcha man.

Consider it a compliment for all that you already do!

8. Novio

Novio New Member

Was about to make a mapping for TPRO also for netbook use with S4. First only installed S4 driver, but the S4 soundcard gave big cpu load in TPRO and I wasn't able to receive any MIDI data form S4, looked like it didn't turned into MIDI mode after pressing Shift+Browsemode (anyone got this to work?)

Then installed whole S4 package just to try, the CPU-load looked pretty the same as in TPRO. But even at 512 buffer it wasn't really acceptable because of crackles. Then I tried using onboard soundcard with asio4all driver in S4, which runs without any drop-outs (at buffer of 1024), high latency, but acceptable with use of quantize.

I've tweaked windows 7 (basic graphics, everything set to high perfomance, and CPU priority to background services) and traktor by eco keylock settings and (which was new to me) Xone-filter instead of Ladder-filter, which made significant difference. More tweaks welcome off course...

So for tonight gig low quality mono main and mono cue, but besides that really enjoying S4 in wait for MBP!

(NB: about to install update, so mentioned above is with use of S4 1.0.0)

9. Fraa

Fraa Forum Member

It's not really MIDI-mode, they call it that so you can map it yourself in a usermappng, but the S4 itself just keeps out sending in HID.
    And since TPRO doesn't support it for the S4, it won't work :)

10. Novio

Novio New Member

Ok, thanks, makes sense in way, but what is than the difference between S4 and X1 HID data, so HID is not a universal 'signal'? And there must be some sort of MIDI output since S4 got physical MIDI output connectors.
    Anyone already tried? I'll try when I'm back home.

11. rainerh

rainerh NI Product Owner

There are actually three different protocols that are supported by the Traktor family of products:
    - MIDI, this is the oldest protocol supported, it would be too much to go into details. To make it short: MIDI messages are sent via a MIDI channel, there are different message types (key down, key up, encoder turned etc.). This protocol is highly standardized.
    - HID, this protocol is used for CDJs from Pioneer and Denon. For each device that Traktor supports, the Traktor code needs to know the structure and the content of the messages to be able to act accordingly. One adavantage of HID is for example that Traktor can send more information to the device, as the track title. And the track title then can be displayed on the CDJ.
    - NHL, this is a Native Instruments propriertary protocol. The Traktor familiy supports the two NI controllers: S4 and X1. As with HID the Traktor code must have knowledge about the strucuture and content of the messages the device sent, in order for that device can be used in NHL mode.

Then we have the hardware side:
    - The S4 for example can be used in NHL or in MIDI mode
    - The X1 can be used in NHL or in MIDI mode
    - The Pionner CDJs can be used in HID or MIDI mode

What you can do though depends on which Traktor version you use:
    Traktor 1.2.6: all MIDI controllers, all supported HID devices, Kontrol X1 in NHL mode, Kontrol S4 in MIDI mode
    Traktor Pro S4all MIDI controllers, no HID devices supported, Kontrol X1 and Kontrol S4 either in NHL mode or in MIDI mode

12. Rogue75

Rogue75 Forum Member

wow NI is pissing me off that they don't have this or allow us to customize NHL to make our own mappings.

13. malzfreund

malzfreund NI Product Owner

Why does NI need to implement NHL? After all, USB HID is widely available on all major platforms. Tbh, I'm always wary of new proprietary standards.

Can anybody enlighten me why NI might use NHL?

Imo, a justification for using NHL would be a low bit rate of USB HID (similar to MIDI). But that's just a guess, idk if USB HID is limited by bit rate.

14. haze324

haze324 Forum Member

Anyone tried Mapping Traktor Pro to the S4 hardware yet.

I keep seeing posts of guys saying their laptops work great with TP but horrible with S4 software. Would be great to have a TP mapping that would allow users to use the S4 hardware with TP while NI gets things fixed.

Could also come in handy in the event you have issues with S4 software mid-gig or if you use a less powered back up laptop.

15. maxonemillionone

maxonemillionone New Member

Agreed. The fact that Native Instruments will not let us modify the NHL layout is BULLSH--.

16. haze324

haze324 Forum Member

I hear ya man.

I think alot of folks could benefit from a good TP mapping. I know myself I take a netbook with me as a back up and if my main went down, frooze up, etc. It would be great if I could just plug my netbook and TP and keep rockin.

And then there's the guys that are having issues with S4 audio drops, but sold their equipment to get the S4. Those dudes could be jaming right now on their new hardware.

Even a basic midi template would be great.

17. maxonemillionone

maxonemillionone New Member

I could provide one of those, a mapping I mean.

I feel ya though. I'm selling my T60 so I can get a MBP.

I had OSX running and its such a pain in the ass I'm never going to do a hackintosh again unless it will work straight from the CD. I hate that DSDT/kext patching.

18. soulguru

soulguru NI Product Owner

You are 100% correct...after you pay a good amount of money..NI should be making a tsi for tsp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.