1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Reset Pad sound WITHOUT resetting Channel Settings

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by apexx305, Feb 20, 2014.

1. apexx305

apexx305 Forum Member

The title says it all.

When using maschine inside a DAW and routing the outputs to your DAW, its very important that your route settings remain the same.Lets say I put a sound on Pad 1 and which has its output routed to ext. 2 and has its midi input routed to channel 2. If I were to decide I no longer want that sound and press the pad reset button (Shift+erase) it will reset the sound and also the routing settings that I had and I will have to fix it whenever I reset a pad.

There are workarounds to this such as just replacing the pad but if your like me and bring in like 10 drums at one time and maybe decide to only use a couple now you have random drum samples your not even using sitting in your groups, I'd much rather just have them empty.

OR You can go to sample edit mode, silence the sound, and rename the pad back to its default name, but thats too much work.

Who else would like this ?

• Like Like x 6
  2. Spazoo

Spazoo NI Product Owner

3. champamoore

champamoore NI Product Owner

+1

4. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

yes, absolut a "hold routing" funktion would be nice

;-)

5. _jon

_jon New Member

+1 on this. Would really be awesome to have a routing template that holds its midi settings even as you change groups/sounds. Even just as a global checkbox inside Preferences or a setting on the project file itself. This is a missing piece for seamless one-DAW-track-per-Maschine-group template integration.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  6. crystaldrone

crystaldrone NI Product Owner

7. puzzlefactory

puzzlefactory NI Product Owner

8. alpert

alpert NI Product Owner

9. hender

hender New Member

10. Mr Mahogany

Mr Mahogany NI Product Owner

Yes, and the same for groups. When you drag and drop a new group all settings for use in a daw are changed . This is especially bad for the midi thru which is reset potentially taking you back to the massive feedback problem.

11. spencer335

spencer335 New Member

12. twakspot

twakspot New Member

13. PooFox

PooFox NI Product Owner

who wouldn't? and more importantly, why don't we have it yet? at least routing templates or something!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mr Mahogany

I think its hard to tell where major development is going with Maschine. 2.0 + seem to make it more friendly for stand alone users . Using Maschine within a daw maybe something the developers dont understand.Bascially Maschine 2 cripples its use within a daw but I see very few users upset about this and the 2.2 addition of on/off midi thru doesnt really improve anything since it has to be reset on every sound change.

15. PooFox

PooFox NI Product Owner

Now that we can route to multiple MIDI ports, it's actually improved a lot. I just do all my writing in maschine standalone, all on the hardware and send each sound to maschine plugins in Reaper. This is amazing for me. I need only one project template and I can load whatever kits I want as plugins on the Reaper tracks without having to do any more routing. We couldn't use more that 16 channels before. Now I can sequence all my synths as well.

It could definitely be more flexible with the OP's suggestion. No disagreement there whatsoever.

16. Mr Mahogany

So you're using Maschine "standalone" apart from Reaper and then you're using a virtual midi connection to Reaper?? Not clear on this . If you're using standalone then you're not using in a daw : these regressions wouldnt apply to you. Can you take a moment and clarify?

17. PooFox

PooFox NI Product Owner

Well firstly I'm not sure what "regressions" you're referring to. Hasn't it always been impossible to retain routing when changing pads or kits? I understood the OP was complaining about the tedious nature of routing in Maschine and how this cannot be stored to the pads independently of loading kits and sounds. That should change of course. But in my new workflow, which was only possible since 2.0, it's no longer a concern for me.

Actually now that I'm thinking about it, the audio routing problem is one that I'd forgotten/adapted to by always mixing the individual drums inside Maschine, and saving any output routing I might need until I'm ready to mix, since when I originally inquired about this problem, NI basically said it was intended to be done that way. So we're expected to do routing only at the final stages, which is an unnecessary limitation of course. I'm kind of off topic at this point, but since you asked:

I'm actually using Maschine in standalone strictly as a MIDI sequencer to control Maschine and other VSTi plugins in Reaper. I'm using LoopBe, which can produce as many MIDI ports as you like, to connect the two. I use one MIDI port per Group, since each Group has 16 pads (one MIDI channel for each pad). The main advantage to doing things this way is that all MIDI routing is done in standalone, never needs to be changed and I don't have to worry about screwing it up when you change pads or kits, as this is all done in the plugins.

If you've tried session view in Ableton, I'm essentially using Maschine standalone in the same way---to trigger patterns and scenes and then record the result in Reaper as MIDI and/or audio to be edited, mixed and further refined. So each Group in Maschine is assigned a MIDI port and each sound sends MIDI on its own channel to individual tracks in Reaper, which contains all the plugins and produces all the sound.

Sorry if I've misunderstood the nature of the problem. I'm just not aware of any regressions in 2.0, only that's it's opened up a whole new way of doing things for me that is far superior to how I had been working. I guess I'm just too excited about that to notice the limitations.

18. Mr Mahogany

Poofox the regressions I'm referring to took place between the 1.82 version and Maschine 2. From version 1 Maschine could act as a vst and each group could be set to midi channels in a daw. This setup was quick and simple , required opening one instance of Maschine inside for daw and when you loaded new Groups nothing was reset because the new options like midi thru and such werent there. That was 1000x faster for working in a daw.

The way you're doing it is interesting. My concern however is that you're having to burn a lot of computer power to run the main instance of Maschine along side Reaper and then open multiple instance of Maschine as vst's in Reaper. The way things were before it was easy to have one Maschine instance as a vst in Cubase , tap the pads and record the midi directly into Cubase. Now its a virtual minefield of settings that have to be correct or a session can blow up into a wall of noise.

I'm tempted to try your approach for working. Thing is I would resent having to go backwards and get a virtual midi connection to do something that developers shouldnt have screwed up and was dead easy before.

Mainly ,I dont want to be an angry user lashing out at developers, I just want to know what they have planned. If they're working towards a Maschine optmized standalone device thats fine, just say so ; I want to get out now and not buy more expansions

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  19. PooFox

PooFox NI Product Owner

Running in standalone as a sequencer with no loaded plugins averages about 2-3% of my cpu (i7 3770). I only use multiple plugins in Reaper for the convenience of having the different Groups on separate tracks. I only ever use 3 instances at the most. You could do it all in one plugin with multiple groups, I think. I do it this way because I like to have separate control over Reaper and Maschine (especially handy when working with a partner), whereas running exclusively as a plugin, the automatic transport syncing gets in my way. I don't think cpu usage is too much of a concern unless you're on a pretty weak machine and then pretty much anything you do will be a concern.

One thing to note is that on Windows there is still a bug which causes Maschine to start dropping most of its MIDI data after a short time when multiple MIDI outs are selected in prefs. I think it is more specific to hardware MIDI outs, as I got rid of the issue by enabling only the LoopMIDI (not LoopBe) outs. Maschine Mikro MIDI out was triggering the bug for me, but I haven't seen it since I disabled that.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  20. apexx305

apexx305 Forum Member

Interesting to see how the more people that venture into using maschine inside of a DAW, the more they run into this annoyance and find my post!
    @PooFox, I have similar feelings. I feel like 2.0 has made my experience using Maschine inside of a DAW even better and easier from previous versions, not worse. I really haven't seen what the fuss is about to be honest. Maybe the way 2.0 does it just fits me better than it does for other people? Sure initially setting it up can be a bit quirky, but once you set up and a project template within your DAW (for me Logic), you're good to go every time.

It's been a year since I had posted this originally, hopefully they come around to doing this. Cause currently slicing drum breaks is annoying, since i prefer using the old school "duplicating" method (which is change and routing settings of the pad you duplicate to).