1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Retriggering Sample Decks

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by DjStrategy, Nov 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DjStrategy

DjStrategy NI Product Owner

I'd wish for N.I. to upgrade the "play" option of the sampledecks when in oneshot-mode (pretty sure though it's the same with loopmode)!
    If i wanna retrigger a sample I have to hit the samplebutton three times as, pressing it once starts the sample, pressing it a second time stops the sampleplayback and hitting it a third time starts the sample again.

This makes fast retriggering/drumming of samples impossible.
    I'd wish they have an option so that hitting the samplepad a second time would simply cut off the playing sample and retrigger it (just like it is the case with all other samplers I have used so far (N.I. Maschine, Roland SP 303/404, Akai MPD 500/1000)!

2. koopa

koopa NI Product Owner

Switch your controller to deck c / d (wherever you want to smash the samples). Now you can retrigger samples by pressing 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 after they're started with the play button.

3. DjStrategy

Yes, I realize that is a workaround, but seriously one should be able to retrigger samples + what if I want to trigger samples whilst mixing and using cuepoints for decks A&B? After all that's what the sampledecks or DJ-samplers are mostly intended for!;)

4. Fraa

Fraa Forum Member

I don't see them changing that.

A lot of people have different request and so far I've only seen about 5-6 really good requests. If they do this and it works it for you, nice. But considering the work that has been put into the current default mapping, I only see them changing the real problems. Minor things like these can be worked around with a user mapping.

5. DjStrategy

@ JuG - Sorry but, this is not a mapping problem, it has nothing to do with mapping, but simply a changing of the playstate code is needed.
    This behaviour is possible with machine as well as with cuepoint play on regular decks, so N.I. already has the knowhow!
    I'm guessing it's just something they hadn't thought of!

The sampledecks were and are the new "wow"-feature (together with the looprecorder) and to be frank they are missing several things that should have been included (f.ex. keylock - but that's another issue).
    I have been sampling/cratediggin as well as programming drums for years and a sampler without a decent retrigger option is just no good!

Don't get me wrong I love the S4, but being that users have waited/requested for N.I. to build a sampler for their DJ-software ever since Final Scratch, this one is simply coming up a bit short!

6. Marvelles

Marvelles Forum Member

+1

is a must to play fast drums or other samples

7. NReek

NReek NI Product Owner

+1

at least, let us choose which way we want it to operate, considering the most common 2 or 3 use cases.

for example:

1 - as it is now. pressing plays sample, pressing again brings sample to the begining, pressing play again plays sample.

2 - play acts like a cup, to pause press while holding shift.

3 - play acts like a cue, only plays while button is hold (deck c/d mode with hotcues)

8. Stober

Stober New Member

+1

I would really appreciate that

9. crucialsplash

crucialsplash New Member

+1 pleeeease!

10. DJ#tag

DJ#tag New Member

+1 Please. Really want this functionality

11. bighk9

bighk9 Forum Member

12. raequan

raequan New Member

ok i may have crossed into some thing..... i also bought a Denon MC-6000 and i used Denon's tsi for four decks. with the most if the mapping done for me i decided to take a crack at the sample deck.

in the control manager when the denon is plugged in and chose the MC-6000 as your new controller. I clicked add in and found sample deck. which lead me to the mapping sample trigger. i mapped to the sample player section of the MC-6000 and bingo it stutters. It is possible to stutter but not stutter play you have to hold the button till the sample finishes.

NI i hope you can open the configurations in the S4 software it self so i can do this to my S4 coontroller.

this is perfect for my DJ drops i have.

i hope i helped some else here.

here is a lil video i did.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SfPrwvCMHU

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  13. DJ Antonio

DJ Antonio Forum Member

Same here. I was surprised that the sample decks don't automatically reset back to the beginning and start playing again each time you hit the play button. It inhibits you from using the sample deck for drums, stuttering vocal samples etc.

14. DjStrategy

And switching to deck C/D doesn't solve my problem either due to the fact that when using the cuebuttons the sample only plays as long as you hold them down and when using the playbuttons....well same issue as previously stated! :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.