Returning my Komplete Kontrol - cause: No optic fiber broadband

Discussion in 'NATIVE ACCESS' started by nilblo, May 30, 2017.

1. nilblo

nilblo NI Product Owner

This is ridiculous, without a superfast broadband connection, you have no business buying NI Komplete Kontrol keyboard.
    I cannot even start to explore the thing because I must first download software to a minimum of 375 Mb.
    Well - I live in the countryside where there are no incentives to distribute fiber connections, because of too few users...

Luckily I did buy from a vendor with a good return policy, so I´m sending the keyboard back - Thanks a bundle NI !!

2. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

I don't have fiber optics over here in Croatia, just mere ADSL, but it's 50 Mbit download so it's quite alright... What are your connection options in the countryside you reside in? Surely fiber optics is not the only means of broadband you can get (fiber optics is definitely NOT the only way of having a broadband Internet connection - as a fact)?

3. nilblo

nilblo NI Product Owner

I can see the 4G antenna, it´s up on a montain top - maybe 700 meters from my window. The thing is, if the sun shines - I loose contact, if it rains -
    I loose contact, if it´s a holiday and neighbour kids are home from school - I may be able to send an e-mail, at best.. ADSL requires copper wiring (telephone wires). They took those wires down some years ago because "fiber is the next thing.." Well - I guess not for oafs in the countryside.
    (By the way - we are talking about Sweden now.)
    Honestly - I didn´t know that I had to download even the most necessary, basic control software for the keyboard. In my opinion - this is somewhat
    awkward and I´m sitting here lika a fool with a brand new "dumb" keyboard on my desk. Not what I expected...

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  4. EvilDragon

Whoa, mate! All I've ever heard of Sweden is how bloody awesome their Internet connectivity is (as in speed and availability)! o_O;

Feel a bit sorry for you, then :(

5. nilblo

nilblo NI Product Owner

Internet connectivity is bloody awesome in dense population areas. Not so much in walking distance from what is considered "dense population area"
    Fiber installation is an on-going project a couple of kilometers from where I live. We aren´t getting any fiber in the foreseeable future.

I´m trading in this piece of plastic for an AKAI Advance which, in my understanding, is functional right out of the box...

6. EvilDragon

By the way, you know you can use NI's S-series controller without any software, in MIDI mode (please check out the manual)? So it's not a useless brick without its software...

Perhaps you have some friends that have broadband who can help you download stuff and transfer to your computer?

7. nilblo

nilblo NI Product Owner

Yes, thank You, I know but I mostly play my 88 keys Fatar kbd. This KK was only intended for controlling Garritan Personal Orchestra 5 and maybe play some short embellishments when working close up to the computer screen. Have some eyesight problems and discovered S-series LED-displays under the knobs. Friends - I don´t know.. I´m not a very sociable person. However - maybe I can sit in my car and leech off of the city free network if only the download would finish within two hours which is the limit for visitors Free Internet Access.

You would absolutely NOT expect that this would be required, when buying a NEW keyboard.

8. schrage musik

schrage musik NI Product Owner

No comment on your original post (apart from to feel your pain). All best wishes with the Akai. It's a reasonable feeling keybed (I'd describe it as slightly above average for the price) that comes with wonderful software (but some of which needs a hefty download). VIP is doing (for me) a lot of what Kore used to do.

9. nilblo

nilblo NI Product Owner

@schrage musik
    I had a listen to your soundcloud piece (the first one..) and liked it a lot.

10. nilblo

nilblo NI Product Owner

I took another computer and drove in to the small town which is 20 min away. They have a free network with two hour limited connection time.
    I had Native Access installed on that computer too and when I logged in the dialog said 33% downloaded (as my primary computer have said all afternoon..) Then in a blink of an eye, the whole Komplete Kontrol softwarefile was downloaded 375 Mb. Returned home, installed the software
    and now I have control over software synthesizers. On the primary computer I had to kill the Native Access application which still said 33% download.
    I have strong opinions though on download procedure - this software should have been shipped with the product. On-line accessible updates are OK
    but the main "controller" softwareo_O?