1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Massive X, Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Rig Kontrol as soundcard - no Windows volume control ?

Discussion in 'Technical Issues - KOMPLETE (Archive)' started by akay, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. akay

akay Forum Member

I have now switched from my old setting - Rig Kontrol 3 without speaker simulation into my valve amp - to active studio monitors (yamaha HS50 M). The main reason was to use stereo effects, get better recording impression etc., just for the "feel" my old setup was more than ok.
    Now to my problem: I am using Rig Kontrol 3 as a Windows soundcard, also to listen to system sounds, Itunes and everything else. The built-in sound device is disabled in the hardware manager of Windows XP. However, for Rig Kontrol the Windows volume control is disabled, "greyed out" and so is the mixer. This is quite uncomfortable as the system sounds are way to loud with the standard setting of the active monitors and it is quite a hassle to turn down the monitor volume on the back of the monitors...

I am using the latest Guitar Rig version, 3.2.1 with the latest sound drivers for RigKontrol, 2.010. - any hints? Is my Windows sound setup broken (maybe due to the built-in sound device installed before Rig Kontrol?) or is this a "feature" of the Rig Kontrol as a sound device?

akay

Is it a bug or a feature?

2. Marc_S

Marc_S NI Product Owner

You can use the headphone output, which has a variable output control. You'll just need a Y-cable that terminates with a stereo 1/4" cable.

3. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

RK can't use the Windows mixer- very few interfaces can.

ew

4. akay

akay Forum Member

After more googleing, I found out what the problem is: NI does not comply to the Windows standards ... when installing the driver, XP comes up with a warning that the driver is not compliant with Windows standards (certification failed). In another forum I found the hint that due to this the driver will not work with the Windows standard audio controls.
    Even worse under Windows 7b: I tried to use RK as standard audio device ... and Windows just told me briefly "the device has been removed". Now RK is not recognized any more regardless what I do (unplug, new install, ...).

It seems NI has some work to do to make the RK drivers W7 compliant ...

@Marc_S: thx for the hint, but the headphone volume control is on the floor ... not so convenient.
    I could use another cable from the sound card into the monitors, but this causes other issues as I read. Ideal solution would probably be a mini hardware mixer to be independent from OS hassles!

akay

5. Marc_S

Marc_S NI Product Owner

Windows 7 is not released and NI isn't supporting unreleased operating systems officially at this time. As for your other problem, a simple passive volume control would solve this for you.

6. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

Most audio card drivers aren't Microsoft certified. Why? Cost and time. The certification has a fee to it and the waiting time approaches six months.

ew

7. kylewaller

kylewaller NI Product Owner

My RK2 uses windows mixer. I use it as my default sound card and I can turn the volume up and down with it.

8. akay

akay Forum Member

In Windows 7 RC, RK3 is recognised correctly now and I can use it as a secondary soundcard including Vol control etc. - problem solved.

It seems that the former W7b had some trouble with USB devices in general: at my machine, they were "detected" and newly installed every time I booted the machine.

akay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.