RIP Cakewalk Sonar

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by CakeAlexS, Nov 22, 2017.

1. District Onagi

District Onagi NI Product Owner

Here is hoping that doesn't happen... but the way things have been and are going it seems like a real possibility. Bleh

• Like Like x 1
  2. Zigbert D.

Zigbert D. NI Product Owner

The consensus among business analysts seems to be that they incurred too much debt with questionable acquisitions, combined with slumping instrument sales. And to be sure, Cakewalk was losing money when Gibson acquired them from Roland, and how much of Cakewalk's continued poor performance has to do with Gibson and how much is on Cakewalk's management is not known to me. However, Gibson's overall status, which I have to believe is the prime motivator behind shuttering Cakewalk, is entirely of their own making.

https://www.strata-gee.com/gibson-brands-headed-default/

• Like Like x 1
  3. wetdentist

wetdentist NI Product Owner

i wrote a poem last night called "Gibson Kills Cakewalk" because i felt compelled to do so.
    this is so much worse, to me, than NI killing Kore and Cakewalk killing Project 5

• Like Like x 2
  4. swamptooth

swamptooth New Member

Hey Alex. I had the same issue with the Cakewalk forums...
    Good to see you again.

• Like Like x 1
  5. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

You have a 2.7 update coming with audio (maschine's version of it). They dropped the best maschine controller in the product line, and a komplete kontrol mk2. What signs have been given that they will end up like cakewalk?

6. Zigbert D.

• Like Like x 1
  7. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

So not only on Live but on Studio One now (crossgrade discount).

8. Zigbert D.

Also Cubase, crossgrade to Cubase Pro 50% off regular full purchase price ($255 in USD). I'd already been considering Cubase or Live recently, though I've been using Cakewalk since forever and have a lot of time invested in developing fluency with it. Hardware integration (with MIDI controllers and control surfaces) was just a giant PITA and now I KNOW it'll never get fixed.

9. Justerini

Justerini New Member

Hi All
    I was way way back a more dedicated muso (1990 - 2000) then music took had to a back seat (family kids etc) and used Cakewalk back in the early days.

Having reinvigorated my interest and built a small home studio this year (purely to compose and play with the kids) I reinvested in Cakewalk Platinum
    (Monthly subscription)

Now that it is no longer to be could I ask advice on what I should replace it with.
    My gear is simple
    Alesis Q88 controller keyboard, Old Roland XV5080 Sound Module with expansion boards X 8 (32 midi channels), Behringer 8 Channel Mixer with USB - planning to buy a Audio interface as the mixer USB is basic quality for recording Guitar and vocals
    I have additionally purchased Kontakt 5 so looking to buy more Instruments
    I play Jazz classical and rock (Guitar, trumpet & piano)
    I am looking for the replacement to include decent VST instruments or able to add VST plugins

I've Downloaded Ableton Live Demo version today and will play around with it also looking at CuBase
    I have both a Mac and Windows 10 PC at home with enough grunt

Any suggestions / comparisons would be appreciated

Thanks
    Justerini

10. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Thats all up to you and you are doing good with testing as much as you can. Also try out reaper that a fantastic DAW but can be complicated the first time cause of the fantastic routing options. I personally use Cubase but as a mixing tool after I made the song in maschine, I load maschine as plugin and already use the mixer and sends in cubase, that has the advantage that after bouncing the resulting audio tracks will have the same fx and sends for deeper control afterwards. But everybody has it's own workflow. But I would say for your jazz thing cubase with Kontakt is perfect, cubase also comes with great sounds, Kontakt then adds also great stuff and the linear approach I guess fits best to you.
    Cubase is good in both audio recording/editing and midi recording and editing.

Uwe

11. Justerini

Justerini New Member

Thanks Uwe
    I'll have a look at reaper -

An item I forgot to mention is as I am teaching my son and daughter Piano and Guitar, I found the Cakewalk Staff a bit restrictive, lacking in producing proper music notation for them to use printed out.
    I also use Guitar Pro7 which has limited midi functionality but has excellent scoring for all instruments so what I currently do for guitar tracks is create them in Guitar Pro (for printed the notation out - and then export the audio and / or Midi to Cakewalk,
    Do you have any opinion on the "scoring or notation of any software? -
    I have just looked on the Reaper site and am downloading the demo, the Notation editor looks good, I'll give that a try as well

Appreciate your response

Many thanks
    Justerini

12. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Oh i dont use notation but I know that's also possible in cubase, it has it's own advanced editor and if you need more Steinberg has dorico but the one in cubase should be fine.

Uwe

13. Justerini

Justerini New Member

14. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Thank you - I'm a queen fan since i was a little kid - but the flash mash is not my song it is a re post - but the other stuff are my creations

15. Justerini

Justerini New Member

16. Justerini

Justerini New Member

And "Sanctity" is a mashup of 70's rock, 90s grunge also a big favourite
    Awesome vocals

17. CakeAlexS

I've gone with Ableton and Studio One. Studio one has many similarities with Sonar and I totally recommend it - and it's cheap for you now:
    http://blog.presonus.com/index.php/presonus-cakewalk-crossgrade-offer/

18. CakeAlexS

Funny I've just back to the Cakewalk Forums and posted my eulogy.
    This was followed by an immediate permaban within 10 minutes :p. Asshats.

19. Bertotti

Bertotti NI Product Owner

All you guys must be thrilled someone bought all of the sonar IP sp cakewalk seems to be getting some love again.

20. CakeAlexS

Yeah Sonar is gonna be made great again o_O.
    The person/s responsible for killing it are now the great heros of the day...
    Same old crap....

A significant amount of the user base I would assume have switched DAWs and discovered they are better off, including me. I'm on Studio One and the only thing I miss is templates. Studio One does everything better (well meters and gain staging could improved a little but can easily be worked around).

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018