1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

RK Pedal Midi/host automation?

Discussion in 'Technical Issues - KOMPLETE (Archive)' started by A2B, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A2B

A2B Forum Member

I spent some time yesterday trying to record RK pedal automation within Ableton Live 8, but from what I understand, it won't show up as midi auto., but rather, host auto. Is there somewhere I can look to see the recorded automation?

Can I use the RK pedal to control knobs and stuff from other Native Instrument plugins within Live 8?

2. A2B

A2B Forum Member

For example, how would I connect these two? Can it even be done?

A4.jpg

3. Marc_S

Marc_S NI Product Owner

You know, I'm not sure about this. Let me ask the other moderator, Eric to chime in.

4. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

Nope, you can't. Sorry...

As far as seeing your automation, look in the arrangement view. The dropdown for the track GR's on should show your automation with RK.

ew

5. A2B

A2B Forum Member

Ah, but for some reason the RK pedal (or any of the switches) does not register within Ableton when I use the actual pedal with my foot, but on the other hand, the mod envelopes are recorded correctly when I modulate the virtual pedal within the plugin's live view with my mouse... why is that?

So basically the only way I can setup automation with GR3 is manually with my mouse, and not my kontrol rig switches or pedal.

When playing back a manually designed automation envolope, the virtual RK can be seen moving correctly, so it's like ableton can control the controller, but the controller can't control ableton.

why?

6. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

Have you armed the track? You need to arm the track to record the automation...

With Kore, the way it works (and if I remember, it's the same way with RK) is to create a MIDI track and route it to GR. Arm the MIDI track. Even though you aren't using MIDI automation, for some odd reason, the automation shows up there...

ew

7. A2B

A2B Forum Member

So nothing seems to work. I have tried everything. check the animated gif attachment - it should clarify my situation.

rkped.gif

So i'm currently unable to record my wah modulation as i'm playing guitar... but there must be a solution, right? Using the mouse certainly wont cut it...haha.

8. dirkmala

dirkmala NI Product Owner

How about just recording the output of GR? Do you really need to adjust the pedal moves later? How did we live with just plain Wah and Volume pedals in the old days. :)

Last solution get a midi controller pedal, Sound Sculpture even makes one that will convert a normal volume pedal into a midi pedal.
    Good luck,
    Dirk

9. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

Ah- no, you haven't tried everything.

As I said, have an empty MIDI track, with the output being GR. The MIDI track has to be existing before you insert GR; otherwise, you can't route it to GR. Arm the MIDI track and record your automation.

That's the way it works with Kore; Kore also uses host automation.

The other issue you might be running into; until Live 8, Live only recognized the first 128 automation IDs of any plugin. GR's automation IDs aren't dynamic; they're hard assigned a number. Live 8 allows you to choose which 128 parameters are exposed.

ew

10. A2B

A2B Forum Member

I've followed the above directions very carefully, but still am unable to modulate and record the RK pedal automation envelope parameters with the actual pedal on the RK hardware; my foot see-saws back and forth, but no matter how the routing is set up, Ableton Live just does not register anything, anywhere.

dirkmala,

Does your car need an A/C? And if you're car came with an A/C, but it didn't actually cool the interior of your car, would you be satisfied if someone told you to just open a window?

I'm not buying anymore pedals; I have one now, and there's no reason why I shouldn't be able to use it. I'd like to record pedal automation, and be able to tweak it later if I found it necessary.

But thanks anyways for the feedback.

11. Fill Brisell

Fill Brisell NI Product Owner

There are probably / hopefully many 'Live' users here who can help you out, but just don't put the blame on GuitarRig; this works well, right out of the box, in for instance Tracktion (Mackie) and even Adobe Audition.

12. A2B

A2B Forum Member

Oh, I'm certainly not blaming GR... I just know it's not working like it's supposed to, and I am very eager to get it set up. There must be something I'm missing somewhere, if only I knew where that is...

13. A2B

A2B Forum Member

but yeah, if anyone has anymore ideas (and i really hope someone does) that would be great, thanks

14. boywonder

boywonder New Member

have you sorted this yet?

do you have skype or an aim? i can show you how ive done it.

15. A2B

A2B Forum Member

yeah, i figured it out. it was a problem with the service center not updating correctly.

16. YoshkinCat

YoshkinCat New Member

boywonder, please contact me. ICQ 202675645 or yoshkincat@pisem.net.
    I realy need to know how record this automation!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.