Roland mc 707 & 101 groovebox / Tr-6s rhythm performer

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by ALDREAD, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Tony Jones

Tony Jones NI Product Owner

2. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

I’m just about to sell my tr8s , I’ll get what I paid for it , but I decided I’d sell it to pay towards the + , lol then this , I’m going to have to get it now , the acb sound is very good , and tbh i like the form factor of this a lot more .

Just waiting to see how much it is , I might wait for the inevitable Roland price drop instead of pre ordering

• Like Like x 1
  3. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

4. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tony Jones

• Like Like x 2
  6. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

7. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

It was a nice gift , especially with the year subscription, zenology pro is a must have for the 101 , being able to change the knob mappings opens it up to a lot of patch customisation , I feel I may sell my xm , and grab another 101 off eBay .

• Like Like x 1
  8. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

I made this logic template, using logics step sequencer , and the modifier midi plugin to send pc to the mc101 , via note data .
    It’s pretty cool, kind of a song mode ,where you input everything to the mc , and logic switches scenes for you .

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dc6ul0dkxy9rifb/MCLOGIC SONG MODE.zip?dl=0

I’m not a logic expert atm, so not sure why but You have to unarm the track for it to play properly.
    The intervals between the steps will play all 8 mc bars or loop your pattern to that amount.

The mc has 16 clips on each track set to 16 scenes numerically.
    You can edit a clip note data whilst it’s playing, by selecting the clip to edit , you cannot edit cc this way , you can only edit the playing pattern, so you may want to stop the sequencer.
    A cell in logic will play 8 scenes/64 bars
    You can change the loop point for the cell ,if you want to zoom in on one or a smaller part of the mc clips.
    Whilst it’s 64 bars the Start is 1.1 the end is 65.1

I have some drums on trk2 and bass on trk3 , I was making sure everything played in sync and I added some changes to some cc ,to see what was going on , at worst I think the mc is a beat behind logic

Let me know if you want any more info , I came up with this earlier after trying the traditional pc automation lane then the list editor, but this is definitely the quickest and easiest way , I think ?
    Obviously you can add more scenes by adding a cell and continuing the notes after the second cell in the step sequencer.
    Here some logic tutorials that helped me learn the step sequencer
    https://www.gearslutz.com/board/apple-logic-pro/1302877-new-logic-pro-tutorials-channel.html

And you can then drag the cells to logics timeline or record them live etc 0BC2DC6C-6A6E-49F8-AE6B-752CAC44E851.png

9. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

I got another one off eBay, also got a tr6s, I’ve been sending pc from the Mc clips to change patterns on the tr6s , need a mx1 now ! But I’m wondering if they’ll make a mk2
    D14C80E2-D448-4023-9E26-40BE35F51CDB.jpeg

10. Tony Jones

Same here, I’ve held off on the mx1 for ages!

• Like Like x 1
  11. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

Tr6s video manual

12. Tony Jones

Hmmm. Tempting though still saving up for another synth (I think!)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dazling

Dazling New Member

I have the MC 707, and it ROCKs.... SO much better than the MK3+ I have the MK3 and Komplete S61, but I find the support on Native instruments really bad, there website is clunky and not logically laid out. Instructions for getting Komplete Select 13 impossible. Roland Products rule... If you are going to get an MC , spend the extra cash and get the 707 guys...

14. Tony Jones

It's about space as much as cash. Really pleased with my MC101, though need to use it more!

15. Dazling

Dazling New Member

I fully understand that, I have just maxed out my Studio, that I also use for WFH as well... MPC X, MK3, S61 MK2, Zoom L12 Mixer, Korg WaveState, and my loved MC 707...... there's just enough space for a cuppa tea!

16. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

Here is some info about the future of the mc101/707
    967A15B8-422B-43A1-93C0-18C8D9A63352.png

• Like Like x 1
  17. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  18. Dazling

Dazling New Member

That's great news, but they missed the Master down function, which would of tailed this unit off nicely, allowing to master to a WAV or MP3 file for easy distribution to the web. But the count in is something that should of been there from the start...good that Roland are investing in their products. Talking of which is the ver MV1 better than the MC 707...its the same thing right?

19. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

The mv and mc are a little different , the mv has a different song mode ,it’s not scene chain , but on the other hand the mc has 128 scenes compared to 16 sections.
    Mv has a 16 take vocal track , the mc doesn’t but you can sort of get round it using the looper and load the loop to a drum pad.
    The mc 707 has deeper sound editing options, bigger screen , so better for editing samples, etc , also has motion draw , and 4 motion lanes , and can use 8 looper tracks , scatter and two pairs of inputs , can edit all notes on a step, and more physical track controls
    The mv has 3 motion lanes , only 2 looper track , a better arp and note repeat , zenbeats support , more mastering fx and export mix , two headphone sockets, you can get round the sound editing option by using zen pro the set up tones with system ctrl.

They are both pretty cool machines , scene chain has definitely taken the mc to the next level , and probably makes it better than the mv all round atm.
    Tho take into consideration the mv has only just come out and the mc has been out for nearly two years.

I’ve heard more zenbeats integration is coming , I think to the mc as well

Last edited: May 7, 2021