Roland mc 707 & 101 groovebox

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by AL’DREAD, Sep 27, 2019.

1. AL’DREAD

AL’DREAD NI Product Owner

I got the 101 on Sunday, it’s pretty cool , a little limited compared to the 707 , but it’s battery powered which is great for jamming on the sofa or out the house , pretty easy to grasp too .
    I’ve set it up in maschine you can stream 4 midi and audio tracks into maschine or a daw (707 has 8 tracks) and you can send the computer outputs back to it to resample in the looper , all over usb , gonna setup some macros later
    I like it tho , so much so ,I’m gonna probably get a 707 next year .
    Sampling overall is a little limited , you can load your own samples, and record in the looper , the 707 has lots of sound creation capabilities , the 101 not so much it has the same preset library but editing is stripped down , step automation is cool , And loads of effects .

No song mode and only 8 scenes atm, should be 16 imo , that you trigger In a live performance , 16 clips per track and 4 tracks x Upto 128 step per pattern per clip that can contain it’s own sound or kit and automation Data ,your not limited to using 4 sounds or kits overall , just 4 at one time.
    I do like the step sequencer on the 101 , you have a little more control on the 707 due to the dedicated step buttons ,the 101 uses the pads for the steps , in drum mode and you can change the selected sound with the knob , in tone mode you have a keyboard octave laid out on the pads ,and use the knob to change step , Its easy to use very quick , I’d say jam is a bit quicker for drums but in keyboard mode the 101 tops it for me , I especially like the keyboard layout over the 64 pads type , no chord mode on the 101 but you can still program chords , so not a big loss .

https://www.roland.com/us/products/mc-101/
    https://www.roland.com/us/products/mc-707/

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. AL’DREAD

I’ve been using it as an audio interface for my Mac , no physical inputs but it’s not something I need .
    You can send your computer signal into the unit either pre or post fx and this also means you can use it as a LOOPBACK device in maschine and resample from it ,with fx , you can also individually resample each track from the mc-101 ,Overall it’s got 5 stereo outputs and 2 stereo inputs ,The main mix and the 4 tracks , main computer input and an input for sending audio to the 101 looper.

Overall a cool little interface if you don’t need physical inputs , also works in a aggregate device with another interface, on Mac .

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  3. b-r@nno

b-r@nno NI Product Owner

thanks for your hands-on-experience: seems to be a fun little box. if money wouldn't be so limited on my side i'd probably buy one too - but the big one. i love "tools" like these, where your creative juices can flow freely....

have fun and all the best to you.

greetings, Urs

• Like Like x 1
  4. AL’DREAD

No problem, and greetings to you
    I got the 101 because of it’s portability, but it’s definitely got more going for it than that .
    I would like the 707 too for the sound design , I’m trying to sell a few things to raise the cash for it
    I’d pair them both together for 12 tracks :)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  5. Goon

Goon NI Product Owner

I recently grabbed the 707, fantastic synth engine on it....

• Like Like x 1
  6. AL’DREAD

I picked up the 707 this morning , sold jam and komplete ultimate 12ce and an old interface, , to raise the cash for it , pretty much broke even , I also have the 101 , lol
    Roland see me coming , I got that for the portability, being it was still summer when they released it , it’s cool tho the 101 can be connected to the 707 inputs and play through so ultimately I can have 12 tracks , I’m thinking I’ll use the 101 for vocal loops Prepared in maschines audio module

7. b-r@nno

b-r@nno NI Product Owner

blasphemy o_O

(have fun with that "other maschine" ;-)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. AL’DREAD

I know , I know , really wanted that 707 tho . I’ve still got maschine and I’ll still be using it especially with the two boxes tho I might start using all 3 in logic due to the lack of inputs in maschine , but it’s good to get away from the computer , I’ve been loading maschine kits into the 707/101.
    Thinking about selling my komplete kontrol mk2 next , I want a keystep to use with the boxes , probably pick up a m32 with it to replace the kk.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  9. AL’DREAD

Really liking the 707 a lot , sounds awesome, loads of effects, love the pad layout , 2x8 works for me better than 4x4 , personally think maschine should have a 8x2 now or even better 8x4 so two octaves are readily available.
    It’s easier to play notes on , and to know where you are in the scale .
    Id love to see sequencing scenes aka song mode and a total of 16 scenes instead of 8.
    Atm I’m recording a song from maschine into it via midi, recorded some audio loops into the 101 , I could easily get through the 12 track limit of the 707 +101 combo, but it’s pretty flexible so you can get round that by turning loops to one shots

10. AL’DREAD

New update, new features

11. AL’DREAD