Roland mv-1

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by ALDREAD, Jan 11, 2021.

1. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Not a product for me but I found the streamlined workflow and layout interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

for me there’s a little too much overlap with the mc101 and maschine + , I considered selling my +, but the price dropped in the uk , so I decided to keep it .
    Might sell one of my mc101 and grab one depending on the price

4. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Investing in something new to the market like that sounds risky, wait for a while... You have to settle for something Aldred or you will always switching setups, don't let GAS get the best out of you bro :D:p Must, resist, temptations...

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

If this machine can loop and get looping (like mc707 or rc505) then we have something.

If not... meh.

6. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

well luckily it’s too big to go on my desk and fill that last aira link port on the mx1 , so Id definitely have to lose a 101 for it , which is ok ,the good thing about these Roland zen core boxes is that they’re pretty interchangeable, mostly got the same sounds and the work the same way , tbh this is probably what the mc should of been to start with.
    Like you said , it’s probably best to wait , the price will probably drop and a few months or I could grab one off ebay second hand.
    I expect Roland will release a bigger version in a couple of months anyway smh .

I sold my xm and replaced it with a second hand mc101 tr6s and mx1 for the same price , the mx1 pushed the + off my desk so I was considering selling the + , and just going back to using maschine on the computer , but I ended up getting a pullout keyboard tray , put the mx on that , so the + got it’s spot back , the other day I created macro templates for the mc , tr and mx , so I’ve got it setup pretty nicely ,also got the plus going into the mx1 and I’m gonna see if I can route the mx send/return to the + input and headphone output.
    There’s just one thing I need on the + really , and that’s an automation view or list editor, then I’m set

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

It has two looper tracks and they will be exactly the same as the mc707 , 60sec max
    Plus it has an audio track with 16 takes

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tony Jones

Tony Jones NI Product Owner

It's an interesting price point, and competes well against their own 707

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

Yup I saw the manual. Now waiting for some loop artist figuring out and trying it.

Thanks for answer mate <3

• Like Like x 1
  10. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

Sold one mc 101 and listed my tr6s :(
    Gonna grab one as it’s 599 in the uk ,
    It will work with the + as an interface, as it’s class compliant , plus I’m thinking I can run the audio like chopped up accapellas from the + to the mv vocal track .
    I don’t think it will replace the + , as the midi sequencing , recording cc and sampling on the + is better , I think they’ll work well together tho , whilst also being fun on its own , I’ll keep my other 101 for now because that will add another 4 synth tracks to the mv , plus it’s more portable.
    Could probably get rid of the mx1 as the mv has an external in I can run the 101 into

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  11. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

12. Hebreww

Hebreww NI Product Owner

This device immediately stands like a house. Look how long maschine has been Existing and it is still incomplete. Very frustrating. I don't see me buying any hardware Soon in the future simply because this company doesn't or won't understand what consumers need and ask for. I already see this device doing a better job than maschine.

Who has this device and what can you tell us about it versus native instruments. Honestly I’m really tired of the way NI is managed.

13. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

I’ll have one when it’s released in the uk , I think.... I’ll be using it with the + , and on its own , so I’ll keep you posted, atm I’ve got the 101 , which is the same synth engine , mostly the same presets and fx , I believe the mv has some new content, mainly drum tones , kicks snares and perc .
    There’s a few differences between the operation of the mv-1 and mc101 but mostly they work the same .

I think the + has this beat hands down in most areas tbh other than sound and fx .
    But the price difference on release of each is big - 1099 v 599 , so the mv may be more bang for buck , in the uk the + is now 899 :( which brings it more in line with the mv , with what you get for how much they are

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

Different beasts IMO...

Very curious about the looping and realtime switching scenes workflow in real life.

• Like Like x 1
  15. John Roberts

John Roberts NI Product Owner

I’m new to maschine(+). I have got my head round it pretty quick. I use it downstairs in my kitchen, for fun, whilst my main studio is two floors up with the centrepiece being the Roland fantom 7.
    This new mv-1 could be very interesting in transfering ideas between both setups but I have to say the tiny lcd screen does not look easy to use. However, connecting an iPad and Zenbeats may be a perfect combination so I am definitely interested and will wait for some further (non hip hop) reviews.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

The screen on the 101 is not a problem , it does what it needs to do ,menu settings scroll presets, shows you what values are being use for cc or note date on a step , the clip/scene or step in play or being edited , what operation you’re preforming , you get a feedback from the pads . I don’t do sample editing on it tho tbh , so can’t comment on that .
    I expect the mv will work the same way.

17. Mowgli7

Mowgli7 New Member

It‘s crazy to see Roland developing such a thing that NI is not able to do since many years. It will also be possible to connect the mv1 to the Zenbeats software, a more developed daw than that maschine software! They’ve done exactly what NI should do!

• Like Like x 1
  18. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

But Roland where making things like this long before NI .

I’m interested in seeing how deep the mv-1 integration is with zenbeats.
    What makes zenbeats more developed than maschine?
    I’ve messed around with it a little, not much tho , I noticed it has better automation, but personally I prefer maschine

19. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

NI decided gone standalone on x86 as best step for their background. If it was a hit or miss we will see. ATM M+ seems doing well the numbers and recently cash flown into the company so let’s wait 2 years and what competition brings.

For me these are different beast and approaches so also targets.

20. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

ALDREAD Zenbeats is full DAW itself coming from the old Neko Workstations and revamped for being agnostic... it's maybe the opposite approach than M+. It's also crossplatform and cloud file based so you can run your projects from desktop to mobile (android too) and just VST/AU plugins not available will miss. If you use the ZenCore synths (subscription) then you have the same in all machines (AFAIK)

So in these terms, yes: it's what Traktor/Maschine should have been with it's mobile counterparts.
    Related to M+ and MV1 integration with Zenbeats I don't expect the same 1to1 mappings or similar features, but I could be wrong and Roland deliver...

Also I want to point that Zenbeats makes get hot my iPad mini 4 and it's something related to optimisation, not to the iPad. I can use other apps with similar or more CPU hungry apps without notice the hot on it. It could be related to being crossplatform (and Windows-based port in OG) but anyways not "perfect for everyone". Also I will say Zenbeats is the nearest experience to Ableton Live at iPad ATM IMHO.

• Like Like x 1