Solved Routing In FL 20

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by telecode101, Sep 13, 2019.

1. telecode101

telecode101 NI Product Owner

Hi, sorry if this is a n00b question about routing. But I just want to make sure I am not missing anything. The way I am using Maschine in FL is, I load Maschine as a VST in one track in the channel rack.

I then go into Maschine and set my track number to 1 and then I go into processing and auto map, and then i go into each sound and set in the output to midi host and channel destination to the channel number of what I want it to appear as within teh FL mixer. I then control the vol, pan and effects of the individual sounds of the maschine pattern from wiithin the FL mixer. So for example, the first three sounds in the group in maschine are kick, snare, hit hat and i have them mapped to channels 2, 3, and 4 in the FL mixer.

I guess my question is, if i wanted to use FL to sequence the midi notes in maschine, i need a separate VST instance in each channel rack? So if I want to sequence kick, snare, hh in FL channel racks, i would need to load 3 instances of the Maschine VST with 1 sound each or there is a different way?

I placed a red arrow in what I am trying to understand. Hopefully it makes sense.

fl-q1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  2. b-r@nno

b-r@nno NI Product Owner

hi telecode: i never really used >Maschine inside FLS...but afaik you don't need to have different instances of maschine to trigger different sounds.
    go into pianoroll of maschine vst...there on the top left corner you see a "green-ish-thing", click on that. i don't know the name of that "panel" anymore. but it lets you choose different colors in the pianoroll. each color is a different midi-channel (not port).

now with this different colors you can send out different triggers to maschine vst. you just need do adjust your input-midi-channel within maschine for the different sounds you want to trigger....try it, it should work.

there ofcourse are other ways (i think) of achieving what you want. i stopped using maschine as a vst because then i get back in my uninspired "ii am just sitting in front of my fl studio, clicking in midi notes and blablabla....i have done that the last 20 years and can't stand it anymore :)

you could ofcourse also use the "midi out plugin" from FLS. just set an midi port number in your maschine vst wrapper. then load as many midi-out-plugins as you want and set them to the same port number. and again, for different sounds just use different midi-channels (within midi-out-plugin and ofcourse inside maschine vst)...

hope you get it sorted....

• Like Like x 1
  3. telecode101

I will try to see if I can see what you are referring to.

I checked out CaddilacBeatz(?) and this guy below who is using patcher and mixer.

Can't seem to find what I am looking for. Both YT vids seem to be using the Maschine controller to program and sequence the samples/sounds in FL. I guess what I an trying to do is go the other way. I want to use the Maschine software interface and the expansions I have, be able to work in my main desktop based studio in Maschine, make the patterns and songs, and then sync those Maschine format files via drop box to my laptop and continue working in FL and tweak as needed the midi, and sync it all back via drop box and continue working.

4. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Heck no, you dont need separate instances unless you have more than 16 sounds in Maschine that you want to sequence from the Host. (and even then it's possible)
    You just need to create some "MIDI Tracks" (called channel racks in FL?) that send MIDI thru the correct port and channel and also configure Maschine to receive MIDI from those same channels and port.

You want to use the Channel Racks to Step Sequence the Maschine-Plugin Drums right? Assuming you dont need Keyboard Mode (pitch per note) this is how you do it:

1 - Click the Gear Icon in Maschine VST and go into settings, set the Input MIDI Port to 1.
    [​IMG]

2 - Create a bunch of MIDI Outs. (3 in my example) by clicking the + icon below the step sequencer thingy.
    Set them all to send MIDI thru Port 1, then set a different MIDI channel for each (1,2 and 3)
    [​IMG]

3 - In Maschine - Sound - Input - MIDI set all your Pads Source to Host, this makes sure the plugin receives MIDI from FL.
    Then select a different MIDI Chanel for each, corresponding to the Channel Racks you created in step #2. (In My example Pad1-Kick is channel-1, Snare-Pad2 is channel2 and HiHat-Pad3 is channel3)
    [​IMG]

The result is this:
    [​IMG]
    Obviously since its a GIF there no sound but one can see the meters moving and no pattern active in Maschine, all sounds are triggered by FL.

If you run into problems just ask, I am no FL Pro tho, just downloaded an FL demo right now to help out since this question pops up a lot.
    I'll attach the example FL project I made in the thread.

This is all just MIDI but for the Audio Part, I think you already know how to do things. There's other approaches to this like for example if you want to trigger a Maschine Group by having all the MIDI in one pattern in FL and each note corresponds to a Pad but I rather not complicate the explanation too much in a single post.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  5. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Oh, I forgot to mention if you do this often then route all 16 Pads inside Maschine, save the Group so you can load it in other projects without having to re-do this all the time, sort of like a Template Group.
    A nice little trick is also to Save an Empty Group, Load the Template Group with +Routings ON, then overwrite it with your "Empty Group" with +Routings OFF... This will remove all the samples so you can add new ones without removing the routing settings, quite handy ;)

Not sure if you can save the Channel Rack thing in FL though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. telecode101

thanks D One. That totally worked. I was sure there must be a way to do it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Deafkon

Deafkon NI Product Owner

These are my sentiments exactly. Used FL as my first DAW since 2002, and 17 years of clicking around with a mouse and I was burnt out. Maschine got me to pick up producing again full time.

As for setting up in FL, there are some batch midi options you need to select in Maschines preferences then you can use can control multiple banks of sounds from one instance.

The only issues I ran into was not being able to control the midi notes of each individual pad sound.

8. telecode101

What I am trying to do is be able to move back and forth between the stand alone desktop and laptop. Not I just have to save templates and see how things work as I move these flp files back and forth. The desktop has the maschine controller connected to it. The laptop does not. I need to see what happens as i move around midi notes and the midi routing. My guess is, as long as I do the midi routing on the laptop -- it shoud not matter what happens to desktop.

9. b-r@nno

b-r@nno NI Product Owner

nice graphic descriptoin D-One...that was what i was trying to write down. it seems "a picture is more worth than thousand words" :)

10. CADILLAKTRACKZ

CADILLAKTRACKZ NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1
  11. telecode101

Thanks. I will try this today. I have managed to get FL template set up with 6 and 16 midi outs mapped.

What you are advising in this post is to setup a separate groups in Maschine to use with FL Studio? I will need to check manual on the +routings setting in maschine group templates.