1. IMPORTANT:
    We launched a new online community and this space is now closed. This community will be available as a read-only resources until further notice.
    JOIN US HERE

S2 MK3/S3 & iPad (Pro) compatibility

Discussion in 'KONTROL S2 / KONTROL S3 / KONTROL S4' started by Aleix Jiménez, Nov 30, 2021.

1. Aleix Jiménez

Aleix Jiménez Active Member

Hello,
    So after the last firmware update (1.3.0) I've been doing some tests with my S2 MK3 and my 11" iPad Pro (2020, iPadOS 15.1) and I'd like to have some clarifications, either from someone at NI or from someone who reallys knows about USB/mfi protocols and this stuff.

The S2 MK3 (and I believe that the S3 too) has:
    -1 power port
    -1 USB B port
    -1 USB A port (the "iPad" port)

And we can use it in "plug&play" mode (ONLY with Traktor apps, so far), or in MIDI mode (holding left Flux button when powering/plugging it to an iPad/laptop).

So, I've tested all the possibilities on my iPad:

1. iPad port (USB A to USB C)
    • Plug&Play
    Nothing works. Lights won't even turn on when plugged in.
    • MIDI Mode
    Nothing works. Lights won't even turn on when plugged in.

2. iPad port (USB A to USB C) + Power
    The iPad is charged.
    • Plug&Play
    The S2 MK3 behaves as a sound card (outputs the iPad audio).
    Traktor DJ 2 recognises the S2 MK3 and everything works flawless.
    djay Pro AI doesn't "recognise" the S2. (Expected: The S2 MK3 isn't in MIDI mode)

• MIDI Mode
    The S2 MK3 behaves as a MIDI device + sound card (outputs the iPad audio).
    Traktor DJ 2 doesn't "recognise" the S2 (Expected: Traktor DJ 2 doesn't support MIDI devices as of today).
    djay Pro AI works flawless.

3 & 4. USB port (USB B to USB C) + Power (NO difference)
    The iPad isn't charged when power is connected.
    • Plug&Play
    The S2 MK3 behaves as a sound card (outputs the iPad audio).
    Traktor DJ 2 doesn't "recognise" the S2.
    djay Pro AI doesn't "recognise" the S2.
    (Expected: The S2 MK3 isn't in MIDI mode)
    • MIDI Mode
    The S2 MK3 behaves as a MIDI device + sound card (outputs the iPad audio).
    Traktor DJ 2 doesn't "recognise" the S2 (Expected: Traktor DJ 2 doesn't support MIDI devices as of today).
    djay Pro AI works flawless.

So, my questions are:
    • Why does the S2 MK3 work when plugged to an iPad through the USB B port, but not when plugged through the USB A port?
    • Why doesn't the iPad charge when the S2 MK3 is connected to the power, and to the iPad through the USB B port?
    • Why doesn't the Traktor DJ 2 app work with the S2 MK3 when plugged through the USB B port to the iPad? It is weird that I can use the S2 MK3 in MIDI mode with djay Pro AI in my iPad (without power), but that I can't use the official NI app (Traktor DJ 2) in plug&play mode.

FINAL NOTE: I'm very pleased it works in MIDI mode without needing to connect it to power. I thought this was only possible with laptops, but not with the iPad (since the Traktor DJ 2 app doesn't work when connected through the USB B port, only through the iPad port which necessarily forces you to connect it to a power output / use a powerbank for power).
    This makes the S2 Mk3 an ideal option for for portability (without considering the "low output" issues):

• iPad
    • S2 Mk3 + USB B to USB C cable
    • RCA cables & speakers
    No need for a power outlet for your iPad (if it has been fully charged, obviously)! But if you feel it will be a long set, then you can bring:
    A. USB A to USB C cable + Powerbank (that will have to connect to the USB B port)
    B. USB A to USB C cable + Power adapter
    C. iPad dock, cable from S2 Mk3 USB B port to iPad dock (USB A, for example), and the iPad's Power adapter + cable from power adapter to iPad's dock

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021