S4 Mk3: Play/Cue buttons sometimes are not precise

Discussion in 'KONTROL S2 / KONTROL S4' started by Borja_Serrano, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Borja_Serrano

Borja_Serrano New Member

Hi

Play/Cue buttons use to work perfectly in the majority of tracks, but for some other tracks, when you set the cue point and you start to play from it, it simply doesn't start from the exact point.

For example, you put the cue point just at the start of a kick, and sometimes it starts a few tenths before and sometimes it starts a few tenths after the real cue point (pressing the cue or play button repeatedly). This happens to me aproximately in 2 tracks from every 10.

My workaround is to set a hot cue, and playing from it in play mode. If you start from the cue point when the track is stopped, the play doesn't start from the exact point again.

I'm having this issue enabling or disabling the quantize function, and also enabling/disabling the master/sync functions. In all cases for some tracks the play doesn't start exactly at the cue point when the track is stopped.

I have the latest firmware updated

Anyone is suffering this annoying issue?.

Greetings.

2. Waffle

Waffle New Member

Yes, having the same issue. Seems they are off with each press even when the cue point is set. Samples and one shots are even off. Making me reconsider the investment and I'm pretty invested in NI with a couple Maschine units and the S4.

3. zyguli

zyguli New Member

Unfortunately noticed that too.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  4. Borja_Serrano

Borja_Serrano New Member

5. Dysfunk DJ

Dysfunk DJ NI Product Owner

Have your turned snap and qantazied off?

6. Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh NI Product Owner

Does this happen with the Sync Type set to BeatSync only or even with Sync Type set to TempoSync?

7. Dysfunk DJ

Dysfunk DJ NI Product Owner

Good point

8. Waffle

Waffle New Member

I've tried snap and quantize off - no joy. Either tempo or beat sync and it still isn't consistent.
    @Borja_Serrano I tried the link but the thread is dead I think.

As I make more cue points, the issue exists with every cue point now. Even the start cue is jacked. What's the deal with the pads on the s4 mk3? Are they performance pads or are they just rubber buttons with lazy, unpredictable response? This, and a few other problem issues have me rethinking my platform.

9. Sûlherokhh

Oh. Did you test to see if it is a software problem? Clicking the hotcue buttons with the mouse i mean. Just to make sure it REALLY is the controller.

10. Waffle

Waffle New Member

Thought I responded, but yes, I tried using the keyboard shortcuts and they are spot on and precise every time. Same with mouse/trackpad - spot on

11. Sûlherokhh

Well, it's always good to make sure. Sounds definitely like a hardware integration problem. My guess would be a device driver is not up to date or isn't working properly with your O.S. Last resort would be to send back the S4 to get a new one.

12. Waffle

Waffle New Member

Yea, that's my thinking also. It's still under 6 months new, so I'll reach out to NI. Thanks for the help all!