S4 MK3 shuts down sometimes

Discussion in 'KONTROL S2 / KONTROL S4' started by Fatalfelix, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Fatalfelix

Fatalfelix New Member

Since a couple of days I own the S4 MK3. Love the design and it's really nice to work with, but once in a while something strange happends. While mixing the S4 randomly turns off for 1 second before turning on again.

It does not happen very often, but today was the second time that the S4 stopped working. Therefore I started to become a bit worried. First I thought that it might be a loose power cable or usb connector, but everything fits good.

Does somebody know what the issue might be?

2. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

Maybe check to see if your usb port is on power saving mode (sleep).
    Are you on Windows or Mac?
    It would be very strange if it is actually shutting off completely.

3. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

4. Fatalfelix

Fatalfelix New Member

Thnx for your help. I've checked the settings. I'm using Windows 10 with Traktor Pro 3 and the device is fully updated.

In the power management tool from Windows I found that 'USB selective suspend' was turned on. It's now turned off. Let's see whether this helps :)

If more people want to know how to turn power saving mode off: https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/e...le-Power-Management-for-USB-connected-Devices

5. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

Also check power management under each usb device in the Device Manager. I constantly have to turn them off after updates or new devices added.

I wouldn't rule out a faulty S4 though. If it shuts completely off that is strange.

6. Fatalfelix

Fatalfelix New Member

Thanks once again! I've checked the settings and 2 USB ports where still on 'Windows can turn off this port to save power' mode.

Will give it a few days. If the S4 shuts down / restarts again out of the blue I think I will swop the S4 for another one since I do not want to think about having problems when playing live.

7. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

8. Fatalfelix

Fatalfelix New Member

Today the S4 stopped again while mixing. I'm affraid something is wrong with my MK3. The seller offered me the option to return it for another one so I will definitely go for that opportunity. Hopefully it was just bad luck since I love everything else about this controller.

9. Fatalfelix

Fatalfelix New Member

Little update for other S4 owners with this problem: Swopped the S4 for another one, but the problem is still there. So it must still be a Windows problem and nog a S4 problem... &%*$# Microsoft.

10. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

Is it shutting off completely?
    The whole controller goes out like the power is off?
    You should get help from NI support.
    Maybe try a different plug or power strip.

If it is just disconnecting from the laptop, I would try a different hub (if you are using an external USB hub try plugging direct to the computer).

11. gili

gili New Member

Hello
    I have the same problem
    I use a macbook pro late 2015 with mojave latest updates
    I use Traktor 3 the latest update
    In my laptop my usb are functioning without any problem
    The kontrol s4 mk3 is at the latest firmware
    The problem does not happen regularly and I cannot reproduce it. As I play music without doing anything the S4 just shuts down and turns on again instantly. Like there is a power outage. NOT a usb disconnect ... ONLY Power failure, like Fatalfelix is describing. The same thing also is happening to another S4 of a friends.
    He went to native instruments support here in Greece and they told him that they cannot find the problem and did nothing.

12. OscarD

OscarD NI Product Owner

While I haven't experienced this problem yet (hopefully never), I have noticed on mine that the power cable does not fit very tightly into the back of the controller. The slightest bump and it could come out. So maybe check that your power cable is not too lose. I fasten mine to the USB cable beside it to keep it secure during gigs.

13. gili

gili New Member

The last time 3-4 days ago that it happened I grabbed and started to move the plug to verify that this is not the case!!! and there was no shut down !!!
    Is there any official answer to this from native ?

14. anubisjr

anubisjr NI Product Owner

This is a problem with all of the S2's and S4's. There are 3 clubs in NYC in which this happens to all of them, and it seems to be caused by power fluctuations when on the same electrical phase as fog machines and/or air conditioners. We all had to purchase Numark controllers to work at these places, except for the one which moved the fogger to another phase of power. This only happens with our $700 NI controllers, the $200 Numarks do fine.

15. Nico_Tf

Nico_Tf NI Product Owner

Did you try anything in the way of using a power conditioner or something to clean up the AC ?