1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

S4 with Ableton Live

Discussion in 'KONTROL S2 / KONTROL S3 / KONTROL S4' started by mrpud, Mar 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrpud

mrpud Forum Member

Hi All,

I have 2xcdj900 (pioneer) and djm 2000 mixer, basically I'm thinking of getting rid of my cdj900's as I only use them as a midi controller anyway (via virtual dj) and getting Traktor with the S4 kontrol.

What I wanna know is can you use traktor and ableton live with the S4 kontroller, more specifically routing the audio from ableton to/through the S4 kontroller?

What I'd like to do is trigger clips from novation launchpad and the audio come through the S4.

Hope this all makes sense ;)

2. Count Zero

Count Zero ModerAUtor Moderator

Yes but you may need another soundcard. I have audio2 hooked up to ableton and plug the output into line in on s4.

3. mrpud

mrpud Forum Member

Hi Czi,
    Thanks for your reply, so there's not currently a way to route the audio into traktor.
    I didn't want to have to take an additional soundcard with me on gigs.

4. Hetchbend

Hetchbend NI Product Owner

S4 is not a mixer but only a controller. You may get it into midi-mode and control ableton with this. it would be just a workaround

5. mrpud

mrpud Forum Member

Ah, ok - i thought it was a audio interface as well:(
    got cdjs at the moment and am considering selling to get the s4 so when i play out i can take my set up without too much hassel.

I'm a bit confused with it all.

I did bump into this post

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showpost.php?p=219225&postcount=7

i don't know if anyone has tried with success?

6. Rob-D

Rob-D Forum Member

You can use one of the sample decks i.e deck C/D change it to a live input then run ableton using you laptop sound card and use a 3.5mm jack from you lappy to the input on the back of the s4. The s4 is a 4ch mixer and midi controller. The mixer only works when it is connected to traktor as it routes the audio in to the s4 through traktor then back out of the s4 if using a live input.

7. mrpud

mrpud Forum Member

thanks for the reply rob, it has helped.

Have you tried this method and was the sound ok? (using mac book pro 1st gen intel dual core and 2 gb ram)

Thanks

8. pilidzin

pilidzin Forum Member

This is interesting.

I was going to ask how to connect Akai MPK 25 with ableton and S4.
    I have just connected them through the USBs and I am getting a test signal.
    I wish I could add some live music in to my set's as an experiment.

I am so confused how to do it tho. :eek:

9. abcgle

abcgle Forum Member

10. pilidzin

pilidzin Forum Member

:D cheers pal

11. junjunjun

junjunjun Forum Member

try hitting SHIFT + BROWSE to switch from HID to MIDI mode, then u can control ableton with your S4 actin like a generic midi instrument.

12. Count Zero

Actually I have been answering a post with someone else who uses ableton and S4 together. You can select S4 main out as sound device in ableton. Only problem with this is the audio goes straight to the soundcard so you have no control over it in S4.

13. mrpud

mrpud Forum Member

so does that mean it doesn't take up a channel i.e. like a live input for c/d, if i were to use a launch pad i could control the volume from that. :confused:

14. Count Zero

Correct.

15. mrpud

mrpud Forum Member

cheers, you've all ben a great help. think i'm gonna sell the 900's and take the plunge.

also czi, the person you've been speaking to - did they mention if it's stable or does it glitch like the person who is using soundflower (see link in post above)?

cheers

16. Count Zero

No mention of stability but he was using it in the manner I just suggested to you, however his problem is that he wanted to record his set using traktor. This will of course not work as you have essentially bypassed the software and gone straight to the soundcard which means traktor has no idea what you are doing with ableton.

17. mrpud

mrpud Forum Member

thanks for getting back to me and letting me know that, i don;t think it will a problem for me as i plan on using my MBP to run ableton and traktor and my decktop to record. but well worth knowing that though.

cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.