S8 Huge Processor Load Spikes / Audio Dropouts

Discussion in 'KONTROL S5/ KONTROL S8' started by gmint, Nov 7, 2014.

1. gmint

gmint NI Product Owner

First, a little background about me. I purchased the S4 the day it was released and used that for many, many gigs until the day the S4 mk2 was released after which I subsequently used that unit until the day the S8 was released. So, let's just say I'm not what you might call "new" to this whole Traktor thing. I use the S8 (and the S4s before it) on a 2012 2.6 Ghz Core i7 Retina MacBook Pro with 16 Gigs of RAM on Mac OS X 10.10 and I've had practically flawless performance (at least so far as Traktor was concerned, my mixing might be another story :)) with both versions of the S4. I've always cranked the latency down as low as it goes and have practically never had an issue.

Since getting the S8, I've not played out with it yet, but in playing around with it, I've noticed EXTREMELY heavy processor loads whilst doing very run of the mill things (e.g. playing two tracks with an effect on one track). The processor load is so extreme that I've even had audio breakups on occasion (something that I've almost come to believe was impossible with the S4). Just to clarify, the processor load isn't running high all of the time, but it spikes to the top of the meter intermittently while playing. I've tried adjusting the latency a bit (to no real avail), but like I said before, I've never had issues with this previously so it's definitely concerning.

Has any one else experienced this?

2. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

Can you confirm that this only happens with 2.7.0 and the S8 or are you seeing this with the S4MK2 and 2.7.0. (not 2.6.8).

3. AlexNI

AlexNI New Member

Have you tried disabling multi-core support?

This improved mine drastically but I suspect there is something in addition to this, I am still working with various ASIO configurations but haven't quite got back to where I was pre S8 and 2.7.0.

Given the possible combinations of both hardware and software on PC based machines there is a lot to cover off, it's perfectly possible there are other back ground processes that are conflicting with Traktor.

4. stephane.yver

stephane.yver NI Product Owner

Have the S8 for a couple days and have experienced 2 unrecoverable audio dropouts already on Yosemite. I have not noticed the high CPU load but may be did not pay attention.. This is serious enough to report. Is there a log file we can send to NI ?

5. AlexNI

AlexNI New Member

6. Karlos Santos

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. gmint

gmint NI Product Owner

@Karlos Santos, thank you for the link. I will give that a shot. I had not gotten a chance to try the S4 to answer your earlier question prior to today but I do believe the S4 is exhibiting the same issues. I only wish I had seen this prior to my gig today (which luckily was not something where a few audio glitches was something that was a huge issue) but I'll give it a try ASAP.

I will say that as a @stephane.yver mentioned, I also experienced a crash today. Only one deck was playing and I wasn't even touching the S8 at the time. I'm hopeful that the fix you mentioned works because I haven't felt this poorly about Traktor in a very long time...

8. gmint

gmint NI Product Owner

See above. I've used Traktor for years with many, many things running at once without issue.

9. Karlos Santos

A DJ friend of mine has been experiencing the same issue as you @gmint with his S4MK2. I have advised him to try the solution in the link, he hasn't replied with his findings yet.

I actually trashed my settings.tsi a week before the Knowledge Base article was produced, in fact I did it in the hope it would fix a different issue so I have not actually experienced any of the reported issues certainly not high CPU load or dropouts.
    Trashing the settings.tsi can fix many issues so I do it as a matter of course when trying to solve an issue hoping that the problem isn't more deep rooted.

10. gmint

gmint NI Product Owner

@ImNoDJ I appreciate your apparent willingness to help, but you really should read my initial post. There I clearly indicate:

Again, I don't want to come off as impolite, but I don't want to waste anyone's time by coming here with a basic problem and in return I hope that my time won't be wasted by basic replies. I've been using Traktor LITERALLY since the day it came out for the Mac. I've used EVERY version of Traktor that's ever been released on the Mac and I have over 1500 posts on this forum. That's why I prefaced my post with some info about my setup. From that, I would hope that you would be able to infer that I would have tested my setup in a way to eliminate basic, and I would hope even advanced, issues...

@Karlos Santos I don't want to jump the gun, but I've been playing around a bit after deleting my settings (which I'm not exactly happy about, but if that's what it takes...) and it does seem to have made a difference. Of course, I'll test it more thoroughly, but it's looking good so far. Many thanks for the suggestion.

11. Karlos Santos

Yeah it is a pain. Having to re-do layouts and import custom tsi and such like is laborious. Let's hope your initial findings prove to be conclusive.

An unrelated question for you @gmint if you don't mind. I see that you use Turbosound PA systems ;) Can I ask which system you have and how you find it and why you made that choice? I'm considering purchasing a small PA and the hot contender is the Turbosound Milan system - M15 tops and M15B subs (the M18B's being too heavy for one person load in/out).

12. gmint

gmint NI Product Owner

@Karlos Santos I'd love to give you any info I can about the Turbosounds. I basically have three Turbo systems: my main mobile system which generally consists of four TXD-151s and four to six 18" Peavey Black Widow subs in enclosures that my brother and I built. I recently upgraded all of the amps to Crown XLS digital amps (one 1500 and two 2500 amps) which are outstanding. It's not a whole ton of hardware but it puts out a TON of sound. I do a number of larger (up to 1,000 people) high school proms (for example) with this system and it's excellent. My secondary small DJ system consists of a pair of the TXD-151s and a TXD-218 bass bin. It's the purest and loudest small DJ system I've ever heard. I also have a small club (www.LimeLounge.com) and my mains are Turbo TXD-121s again with custom built subs.

Now, as you may have noticed, all of my Turbosound stuff is a bit older but that's primarily because I've been using the turbos ever since they first released the TXD models. I love them so much that I've just stuck with them and I still pick them up if I happen to find a good deal on them. I initially got interested in them because of my experience in hearing the Funktion-One system. Not to get too much off on a tangent, but for anyone that has never heard a good Funktion-One install (e.g. Beta in Denver or the now defunct Ice in Las Vegas), there really is nothing like it. That's not to say that Turbosound = Funktion-One but with Tony Andrews, Precision Devices, etc, and the shared heritage there, I definitely have some respect for that company. The bottom line though is that when I first listened to the Turbosounds I was instantly hooked. One of my first real DJ speaker systems was the EV S-152 (still have them in my garage) which were an excellent sounding 2-way speaker and I've always been an EV fan (I have a bunch of ZX-1s that I use for second zone speakers) but the Turbosounds blew them out of the water. They also absolutely crush any JBL junk that I've ever heard.

NOW, all of that aside, I will tell you that I also owned some flashlight kick bins for a very short time and my general impression is this: I LOVE turbosound tops but I do not share the same sentiment as far as the low end goes. The sound quality is there (for example with the TXD-218 bin) but the output just isn't what I would consider outstanding. Subs are such difficult thing to recommend though (so much of it depends on the type of music you're playing, how you like your music to sound, etc.) so, take that as you will. Like I said, the bin I have sounds excellent but that's because it's tuned pretty low (much lower than many of the small DJ system subs) but that also means that the power handling isn't particularly great.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard the Milans, but I am heading to LDI in a week and a half (where I will have to say hello to @Ean Golden, of course). If Turbosound is there and they have , I'll definitely have to give them a listen. FWIW, I paid about the same for the TXD-151s (which are unpowered) when I first bought them as what the Milans are going for now. Of course, cost isn't always indicative of quality, but it's an interesting baseline. This is even more off on a tangent, but I've just never been a fan of powered speakers. Definitely nothing against anyone who likes them, I just find passive speakers and amps to be more flexible.

After writing all of that, I'm not sure if anything I said will be helpful :) If there's anything specific I can answer for you though, please don't hesitate!

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Karlos Santos

@gmint , thanks for this. Just trying to find the time to make a comprehensive reply - I appreciate the detailed post.:thumbsup:

14. gmint

gmint NI Product Owner

@Karlos Santos, not a problem. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.