S8/S5 Display Mods

Discussion in 'KONTROL S5/ KONTROL S8' started by Sydes, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Arne_Weikl

Arne_Weikl New Member

Hi,
    first I would like to thank Sydes and ErikMinekus (and everyone else involved) for the awesome work!
    I did a mod of (mainly the deck view) for the S8 myself and wanted to share it. It is heavily based on Sydes DeckHeader-mod and uses some ideas of ErikMinekus, too.
    It modifies the deckview, some overlays and minorly the browser for the screen output, it also makes some changes to the S8's behavior, mainly timing and how the browser opens on touch and of course changes the fine-coarse behaviour for tempo change.

It is all packed in one file, but feel free to take parts of it, I especially had in mind using one of the awesome browser-mods instead.

Feature list Screens:
    - rearanged Sydes deck header to display more information: keys, remaining time, ...
    - uses key-color-coding whenever possible, also in overlay
    - uses "real" musical key (the one you "learn in school" ;) ), but the Camelot-function is still present
    - fixed some minor bugs, f. ex. color of sync-status
    - changes color of sync-state mimicing behaviour of sync-button
    - works with split view
    - header shows something when empty or live-deck, etc.
    - shows quantize and loop source for a remix deck
    - keeps the grid-style, color changes depending on deck to mimic S8 behaviour
    - contains a wildcard field (I wanted to display all four effects-assigns but could not find the output) where you can add your stuff
    - wildcard field currently contains a little dancing-buddy to cheer you on :)
    - browser font and arrangement tweaked minorly to show more of the filenames
    - Camelot-key function is still present, can easily be used instead of "real" key
    - adds key-color-coding in dark and key to index-function
    - the sizes and relations of the whole header are mainly determined (the height) by the boxes in the middle column, this means the size/relations can be adapted relatively easy
    - some code cleaning

Feature list S8-behaviour:
    - added timer to the open browser on touch-function, now it does not open if one accidently brushes it
    - added timer to block open browser on touch-function right after loading, if one is to slow to releas the knob...
    - force non-temporary browser if knob is pushed also if open browser on touch is set
    - added a second timer to BPM/key overlay to make it vanish faster after an edit
    - tweaked corresponding timer-values
    - changed coarse/fine behaviour for BPM/key-input

The deck-view should work for S5 too, I guess. The timer stuff could be copied I guess... .

I packed a folder according to the qml structure, I hope it works and don't forget to make a backup!
    Have fun!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  2. ErikMinekus

ErikMinekus NI Product Owner

Great work! Do you have any pictures of what the deck and browser look like?

3. Arne_Weikl

Arne_Weikl New Member

Here is the deck, sorry for the bad quality.
    The Browser looks like the standard-browser, except the font is a bit smaller and there is less blank space around title and artist.

Attached Files:

4. bbscarfaced

bbscarfaced New Member

I installed the qml files but it didn´t work. Only ErikMinekus’s versions works with me. What could be the problem?
    MacOS 10.11.6 Traktor Pro 2.11.0 S8 Controller

5. goli

goli New Member

6. ZOUL

ZOUL New Member

Hi guys i just wanna say thanks to all the people who worked in this mods and take the time to make all that, and somebody has the mod of @GugC ??? the link isn't working! Thanks and appreciate a lot!

7. goli

goli New Member

Hello everyone :)
    I wanted to say thank you all for the detailed explanations.
    I did some modifications and the controller starts looking better.
    I'll share if I have something new to show :)

8. shemloo51

shemloo51 New Member

Hello all
    I'm a bit late to the party. Just got my S5 and saw this thread. Does anyone have the full set of files from Sydes along with install instructions? Or can someone point me to the relevant links? Really want to dive in to this but not sure which zips to download as there seem to be quite a few versions. Any help much appreciated.

9. goli

goli New Member

Hey,
    Some links that can help...

https://kfigiela.github.io/2017/01/16/traktor-kontrol-s5-midi-mapping/

https://gist.github.com/kfigiela

https://blog.amartynov.ru/traktor-kontrol-s5-pitch-faders/

https://www.reddit.com/r/traktorpro...traktor_kontrol_s8s5d2_screens_with_advanced/

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

10. Ninesense

Ninesense New Member

Wow love the prime Display! <3 Thanks!

11. Forschi

Forschi New Member

Wow....I'm reading up and down here, but still can't find a good instruction on how to install Sydes browser. Are there one final complete .zip? what zips is needed?
    And the Images folder in the zip...where do I place it? Under Screens/Views? Overwrite the original ones or delete and put these instead?
    Or should I put the Images folder under the Templates/Browser-folder?
    It seems I only get the browser to work with Track Artist column and the bottom info part is missing

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  12. Forschi

Forschi New Member

Hmm, Ok, reading now that it only works in "All Tracks", but you need to edit something to point to your collection...I havent found that yet.
    Since Im only using the iTunes browsing I won't be able to use it anyway.
    But I love what you guys have been doing, I'm using Erik Minekus Prime display and I love it, I only wish the hotcues had the native colouring related to hot cue type. I still have some tracks here and there that has the beatgrid stored as HC1 and seeing that is really easy when I see the button light up white and from that I can easily delete and store the beatmarker from my mixer, freeing up that HC.
    Also I use the HC-type "Load Marker" frequently as well as some loops.

13. madmax1205

madmax1205 New Member

hello

I would like to change the right side effect keys of my S5 to apply the pitch tempo of deck A and deck B
    I found this mapping below it changes the tempo on volumes C and D
    I think I can do the same but I will like to find the name of the effect controls
    Is there a file with the names of the keys for the S5
    thank you
    // pitch fader start

AppProperty { id: hack_aTempo; path: "app.traktor.decks.1.tempo.adjust" }
    AppProperty { id: hack_bTempo; path: "app.traktor.decks.2.tempo.adjust" }

AppProperty { id: hack_aSync; path: "app.traktor.decks.1.sync.enabled" }
    AppProperty { id: hack_bSync; path: "app.traktor.decks.2.sync.enabled" }

AppProperty {
    path: "app.traktor.mixer.channels.3.volume";
    onValueChanged: {
    if(!hack_aSync.value)
    hack_aTempo.value = 1 - 2 * value;
    }
    }

AppProperty {
    path: "app.traktor.mixer.channels.4.volume";
    onValueChanged: {
    if(!hack_bSync.value)
    hack_bTempo.value = 1 - 2 * value;
    }
    }

// pitch fader end

14. goli

goli New Member

Hey,
    For Minutes Marker in the stripe:

Here are the changes you need to do in Stripe.diff
    Code:
    29c29,30
    <
    ---
    >   AppProperty { id: trackBPM;              path: "app.traktor.decks." + (deckId+1) + ".tempo.base_bpm" }
    > 
    184a186,213
    >   Repeater {
    >     readonly property int minutes: numberOfMinutes(trackLength.value)
    >     readonly property real minuteDelta: (stripe.width * 60.0) / trackLength.value
    >
    >     id: minutesMarker
    >     model: minutes
    >     Rectangle {
    >       property real roundedX: minutesMarker.minuteDelta * (index+1)
    >      
    >       x:                 roundedX
    >       anchors.bottom:    parent.bottom
    >       height:            28
    >       width:             1
    >       radius:            1
    >       color:             colors.colorWhite75
    >       antialiasing:      false
    >     }
    >   }
    >
    >   function numberOfMinutes(inSeconds)
    >   {
    >     var neg = (inSeconds < 0);
    >     var roundedSec = Math.floor(inSeconds);
    >
    >     if (neg)
    >     {
    >       roundedSec = -roundedSec;
    >     }
    185a215,219
    >     var sec = roundedSec % 60;
    >     var min = (roundedSec - sec) / 60;
    >
    >     return min;
    >   }
    gist location:
    HTML:
    https://gist.github.com/eyalgo/70a7e8affbbc27aeb4e0a5c23fc645c5

15. skymakai

skymakai Member

Trying to edit one of @ErikMinekus mods (the Prime) to make the browser do this (the same as Erik's Nexus mod). But, DetailsFooter.qml doesn't seem to still be used in the 2.11 application. Any help?

16. ErikMinekus

DetailsFooter.qml is a file from Sydes' mod, it doesn't exist in mine. Look for getMasterKeyOffset to see how I did it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. skymakai

skymakai Member

Thanks, @ErikMinekus

Another thing I noticed yesterday while using the Prime mod out on a gig: There's no indicator for which deck is the Master. I know that's how Denon made it, but it's a 'need' for me.

I may just stick with the Master version, as it seems most like what NI meant for the controllers to have. But, it's missing minute markers, master indication, and key lock indication.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  18. ErikMinekus

The top beat indicator is not used on the master deck, that's how you know it's the master deck.

• Like Like x 2
  19. skymakai

skymakai Member

Thanks, @ErikMinekus. That makes sense. I don't know why I didn't think of that.
    Would you be willing to add minute markers, master indication, and key lock indication to your Master fork?

20. Bert Patroons

Bert Patroons NI Product Owner

Hi,

Some time ago I posted here about the cuepoints without hotcues not being visible on the s5/s8. (cuepoints without number 1-8 assigned to it)
    It is still a major problem for me, and NI said they filed a ticket, but I'm not confident that this is going to be solved.
    I tried It myself, but my programming skills are really lacking on this one.
    I can't pay a full programmers salary, but I'm willing to pay some beer money to anyone who can do this. :)

I think you can use a bit of @Sydes browser code, because I think you'd have to extract the missing cuepoints from the collection.nml file.
    They are listed as HOTCUE="-1" in the collection file, like this:

<CUE_V2 NAME="n.n." DISPL_ORDER="0" TYPE="0" START="117700" LEN="0" REPEATS="-1" HOTCUE="-1"></CUE_V2>

Is there anybody out there who knows how to do this, or will have a go at it? It would mean the world to me :)

(PS: If they would only be visible in the stripe, but not in the main waveform, that would already get you some beers!)

IMG_20161127_001820.jpg IMG_20161127_001948.jpg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017