1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Sample capture with s4 mk3?

Discussion in 'KONTROL S2 / KONTROL S3 / KONTROL S4' started by Jacob_the_56th, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Jacob_the_56th

Jacob_the_56th New Member

Anyone figured out how to capture a sample from deck A or B with the mk3 pads?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jondy

Jondy New Member

I've been trying to work that out too. Only thing I've managed to do is sample from the master, and play it back into the master without been able to assign it to a particular deck.

Some guidance on how sampling works on the S4 mk3 would be good.

3. -Yul-

-Yul- NI Product Owner

check first that your remix decks are set correctly to define the source of the loop, in the remix deck's header on the right you have a sub-menu (so if you're using deck C as a remix deck, set it to A as its source, same process for B & D). Now I suppose if you press one of your sample play slot button, it will pick up whatever loop from deck A if the cell is empty. The length of the loop that goes to the cell is the loop's length value for deck A.
    May be I missed a detail but you get the idea.

"If the Track Deck you captured from was not playing a Loop, the Remix Deck will still capture a Sample from it, but it will instead take it from the current playback position. The Sample will automatically be cut to the length of the selected Loop size in the Loop control bar in the Track Deck."

I'm pretty pretty sure it's covered either in your s4's manual or traktor's. ;)

4. Leedensley-Music

Leedensley-Music New Member

Thank you for the reply, but how do you set that up please...

5. Leedensley-Music

I tried all of that and it’s not working still, seems like they forgot that featu on the new S4 MK3 and there’s no manual...

6. Leedensley-Music

E87DA57E-DE81-4849-820E-1B98892ED7AE.png Well from what I’m hearing it’s was discontinued on the mk3 ...

7. -Yul-

-Yul- NI Product Owner

Lol. So while being in deck C's layer, you can't get a sample from a track playing in deck A (as long as it was set to be the correct source) just by hitting an empty sample cell's button ?
    Interesting.

8. mainTAP

mainTAP New Member

Is this for real ? The S4 mk3 cannot be used to create remix deck samples ? :/

9. Leedensley-Music

That’s what I was told, I’m returning my today, I’m keeping my mk2 instead...

10. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

The Mk3 is limited, no loop recorder, only 4 sample slots for remix decks, the step sequencer is gone and instead a very strange pattern recorder(which I have yet to really figure out).
    No effects select.
    No fine adjust for key.
    No sync while in Turntable mode?
    No post cross fader for the mixer effects. Post channel fader but not crossfader.
    No cues in TT mode.
    Also not a mappable controller at all. No midi mode.
    No jog push disable.
    No Master tempo button. (That was available on the other controllers right?)
    I was really excited about the pattern recorder too. Maybe I am just not figuring it out. But so far it sounds like a mess and I can't figure out how to completely reset it without just adding layers until it sounds like garbage, then I have to completely reload to kill it?

I'm also sending this response to support.

We also need the pitch faders tested more, I have experienced some limits on range and erratic locking or unlocking.
    For instance the bpm will be stuck in a small range after being the Master deck and I can't bring it up or down to the correct bpm.

Even if I am doing something wrong, it means the workflow is not user friendly, I'm no idiot, I should be able to simply push a button and fix my tempo at any time.

• Like Like x 3
  11. mesingze

mesingze New Member

12. Jacob_the_56th

Jacob_the_56th New Member

We absolutely should! This was the feature that got me into traktor. The idea of quickly sampling things on the fly into your next track and beyond is such a fun idea!

• Like Like x 2
  13. mesingze

mesingze New Member

Exactly!
    "The idea of quickly sampling things on the fly into your next track and beyond is such a fun idea!" +1 (!!!)

I will create the Feature suggest and stuff in the link to this thread.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mesingze

mesingze New Member

15. OscarD

OscarD NI Product Owner

I agree that this can be frustrating. But I've had an F1 in my setup for years in order to make full use of the remix decks and I would recommend this to anyone. It gives you all the capability that you are currently lacking, and then some. Plus it can be a great tool for stems. I'm using it now with my S4 mk3 and everything works together perfectly.

16. mesingze

mesingze New Member

I do have F1.
    Its not only frustrating, it doesnt make any sense to the workflow at all.

We are talking about creating samples on the fly - dropping an interesting loop from 1st or 2nd deck to 3rd/4th deck and using it.
    The only function needed here is Capture, which is removed. Everything else is on board through 'Samples' section.
    So I do not see a need for F1 if there is no need for full Remix decks/Stems utilisation.

• Like Like x 1
  17. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

Searched in the support area and I found a response saying the function was removed because it isn't functioning properly.
    Try dragging a sample to a remix deck you will see there is a slight silent spot at the beginning.

This happens only when pulling from the LoopRecorder or a track, (capture), of course the samples on the hard drive or anything besides (capture) is just fine.

My hope and opinion is that the eventual rebuild of Traktor will fix the Retina display, browser, and hopefully a few ongoing requests and issues like this.
    If you notice the LoopRecorder was also removed and even hidden now. Behind effects on the left hand side. As well they haven't promoted the capture function.

18. Stevan

Stevan NI Product Owner

If I'm imagining this correctly. We can use Global MIDI buttons and Faders and Knobs to output HID signals into MIDI mapping where we can add as many modifiers as we need (unlike hid mapping limitations of only 8 modifiers) shouldn't be too difficult. The problem seems to be that the approach to the function not very intuitive as there are only 4 sample cells available in each Remix Deck.

19. gillster11

gillster11 NI Product Owner

Come on guys surely one of you good mapping guys can pull this off

20. Stevan

Stevan NI Product Owner

I added this feature to my mapping. Download it from DJTT: https://maps.djtechtools.com/mappings/9325

Most of my modifiers were already spent on features like pad modes so the capture function is limited to only first four sample cells.