sample length

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by phil909, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phil909

phil909 Forum Member

hi there, i got my maschine at the weekend and very pleased with it so far. lots of fun.

one thing that's frustrating me a bit is i can't figure out how to quickly truncate the sound of a sample playing.
    i mainly program in step mode so far, lets say i find a nice snare hit i want to use but the sample has quite a long reverb tail, i want to be able to shorten the length of the sound so that it fits in with my pattern.
    how do i do this on the fly (whilst the pattern is playing)?

also, is there a way to make samples trigger based on note length? ie a 32nd note will be short sounding and an 8th would play a longer part of the sound? at the moment, the note on just triggers the full sample regardless. i'm talking about 'one shot' samples here - not the instrument patches.

i'm sure i'm just overlooking something quite simple. your help appreciated.

2. res308

res308 Forum Member

change one shot mode to adsr, turn dsr to the left ;)

About your second question, i wouldn't get so hung up on making your sample perfectly fit in the timing, it will make your sequence very robotic and unhuman, on the other side maybe that's what you want...

3. phil909

phil909 Forum Member

Thanks for that. I had been looking for adsr control but hadn't thought about looking there. I must admit, some of the drop down menus are a bit under assuming in the software, I guess I'll get used to them with a bit of practice.

4. tristero

tristero Forum Member

couldn't you also go into sampling mode, then select the "edit" tab and change the sample end point?

5. res308

res308 Forum Member

yes you could, but it will be an instant stop, using adsr you can tweak "how" it stops/ fades out etc...
    either method has its pros and cons, whatever suits the music at that time, but a good remark from you tristero

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.