Samplitude: Setting up Komplete Kontrol Transport Controls

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL SERIES' started by terrybritton, Dec 1, 2016.

1. terrybritton

terrybritton NI Product Owner

I recently wrote an article on setting up the hardware controllers in Samplitude Pro X2 and X3. It works great with S-Series keyboards.

Unlike what is suggested by NI, do not set up the Hardware Controller entry for S-Series keyboards as "Mackie Universal Controller" (since there is no such entry in Samplitude), but rather set it up as a general MIDI device following the same steps as outlined in this article on my blog. (The article references an Akai MPK249, but the steps are exactly the same for the most part.)

http://terrybritton.com/samplitude-hardware-controller-mapping/

On the "Customize Controllers" page, turn on the MIDI Learn and press each transport control, and you will see its code appear. Right-click on the entry and select from the "Transport" section either Play, Record, FF, Rewind or Loop, depending upon which button you have pushed, and you will be on your way.

I will answer any questions people have here - please don't ask them at my Blog, as this forum gets far more traffic relevant to this than my blog ever will. :)

Terry

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  2. melmac

melmac New Member

Hi Terry,

I just fell over your post and the linked article - it's just the topic I'm searching for, but I didn't manage to get it working here.

My main goal is to use the transport buttons on the Kontrol keyboard to start and stop the DAW.
    I just upgraded from Music Studio 2014 to Samplitude Pro X3 and I'm also using a Kontrol S61 (MK1).

After activating "MIDI learn" and "MIDI monitor" I receive e.g. every key I'm pressing on the keybed or encoder I'm turning but I don't get any MIDI-IN signal when pressing a transport button on the S61 (e.g. Play, Stop, Record...). I also checked with MIDI-OX - there it is the same.

Is there something that I'm totally overlook? The Kontrol is connected via USB to the PC/DAW and I tried different hardware controller presets in Samplitude.

Thanks in advance for any hint and help :)

Alf

3. swavenation

swavenation New Member

Not sure about your Daw but i know in Fl studio you have to go into Midi settings and change the midi controller input to Komplete Kontrol DAW-1 or something like that. Hopefully thatll give you some help

• Like Like x 2
  4. melmac

melmac New Member

Bingo - that helped a lot! Thanks :)

Now I managed to build up a "new controller" where I defined all transport buttons.
    What's still open: I cannot use the other buttons of the Kontrol Keyboard (e.g. the arrow buttons). They still don't appear in the MIDI monitor. But I'll try more things in the settings. It would be nice to use them to jump between the tracks or something like that.

• Like Like x 1
  5. terrybritton

Sorry to have noticed this so late. Several of the buttons have no MIDI corollary associated with them, as they are meant to strictly be used within the NI framework of the keyboard's driver. I have an S-88 and a Mk2 S-49.

Hope to see you over at the Samplitude forum! (I'm there quite a lot...)

Terry

6. melmac

melmac New Member

Thanks for your explanations! And yes, we’ll surely meet in the Samplitude forum

7. NickoRicko

NickoRicko New Member

I know this conversation was awhile ago, but I recently tried to read your article Terry and I couldn't get it to open when I clicked the link? I want to try Samplitude x3 but can't find any information if it works okay with the kontrol s-series MK2 models. I own the s-61 mk2 and am relatively new to home based music production, so just wondered if anyone could confirm if my mk2 is going to work with this software before I purchase it?

8. terrybritton

The article is opening for me, so I'm not sure what might have been happening that day you tried. http://terrybritton.com/samplitude-hardware-controller-mapping/

Frankly, the Native Instruments keyboard is MADE to control Native Instruments plugins, and not really other things. They have not yet added Mackie MCU compatibility which would allow the transport buttons on the S-61 Mk2 to work with other DAWs, but that is supposedly anticipated for early 2019. (It is odd they hadn't added it yet, as the new Maschine Mk3 controllers and software already has it.)

The kind of mapping described in the article would involve using the Controller Editor from NI that was installed at the same time as Komplete Kontrol. A bit arduous and tedious, nonetheless it is possible to have the Mk2 send controller signals that would be useful for things like sliders & knobs in your DAW and even non-NI plugins (though I would stick the non-NI plugins inside Komplete Kontrol so it auto-maps the available ones, and likely would build a custom interface for the knobs and save that to my user area as a KK template). Once you have templates set up, at least you would have them ready to use whenever you need them!