1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Saving Battery custom kits in Maschine - is this possible?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Kymeia, May 13, 2018.

1. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

See this thread for context:

https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/kk-battery-4-custom-kits.328775/#post-1647165

Just tried this in Maschine though too and I get the same issue - save tries to place the kit in the root of user, which is the wrong folder, but at least in Maschine I can set the path to the correct folder, but the saved custom kit still doesn't appear in the Maschine user tab? Am I doing anything wrong? Not a big Battery/Maschine user so that is possible, has anyone managed to find a workaround for this?

2. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

That whole thread is about saving a KK preset, think of it as a KK equivalent to Sound/Pad.
    KK cant load Maschine Sounds/Pads the same way Maschine cant load KK presets.

Load Battery to a Pad, create your custom Kit and save it as a Sound and it will show up in your User Instruments.

3. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Not really, it should be able to save a NKS version of a user kit just as it can load and save a factory kit. In fact if I just tweak a factory kit and save that it does appear as a user kit but if I make one from scratch or open a Battery 3 kit and resave it then try to save that as a user kit it goes pear shaped.

4. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

Depends on what type of file you are saving. KK software does not read Maschine sound files. If you want to save an NKS preset for a Battery kit, right click on the plugin slot and chose save as. To then load that saved preset into Maschine, you must set the filter to Instruments in the user side of the browser.

If you have custom mapped the group as a multi-timbral setup where each sound triggers a different Battery cell, you will want to save a Maschine group and of course load from the user groups tab of the browser.

5. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Yeah I know all that, I'm saying on Mac this is not working. It tries to save it to the wrong folder, even if you put it in the right folder and rescan it doesn't show in User tab in KK or Maschine. On Windows it sounds like this works.

6. b-righteous

Okay, I did not read the other thread. Looks like this is a bug.
    When you save an instrument preset it should save in the Native Instruments User Content folder under Battery. So if you target that folder, you are saying it still does not show in the user browser under instruments?

7. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

8. D-One

Are you doing this in KK or Maschine? Please describe all the steps.

9. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Make a user Battery kit and save in Battery first. Then save as NKS (technically the Battery NKS file format is .nbkt but you save it the same way you save as NKS using the right click on the plugin menu - or in KK the file menu). First thing you'll notice is on Mac it doesn't save the file in the correct location (should be \Users\username\Documents\Native Instruments\User Content\Battery\Battery 4 User) but in \Users\username\Documents\Native Instruments\User Content. It also doesn't appear straight away in the User tab, which it should do. Even if you put it in the correct location and rescan the database the kit doesn't show, nor will it load using File open (via the NKS menu).

If you just open a factory kit and resave that as a NKS this does work and it shows straight away in the User tab, so I know it should, but it's broken with user patches.

10. D-One

Ohh OK, confirmed here too then.
    I don't even have a Battery subfolder under \Users\username\Documents\Native Instruments\User Content\
    After I created a subfolder called "Battery 4" the save-as menu does automatically point to it by the default when open, but saved kits still don't show up unless I edit a factory Kit.

11. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

That's weird I didn't have to create that folder, it was there already (it also has a factory content folder next to it on my system).

12. D-One

Yeah, I was under the impression there should be a folder there for each instrument, I recently installed everything from scratch on a new computer, maybe this bug caused a lot of user folder not to be there? Not sure.

This is all i have there:
    [​IMG]

13. b-righteous

The folders are created there when you save a user NKS preset.. If you have not saved a user preset in previous working versions, it won't create one now since there is a bug.