1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Say hello to MASCHINE JAM

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Benjamin W @ NI, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Benjamin W @ NI

Benjamin W @ NI NI Product Owner

Hi all,

While we've been continuing to develop the Maschine software (as mentioned by Florian in the recent post about arranger), we have also been working on another project:

Maschine Jam

Over the last 18 months we have been working in close collaboration with our hardware teams, conducting lots of user tests and interviews to give this new Maschine Controller its shape.

Maschine Jam offers a new approach on how to interact with the Maschine Software.

It comes in the Maschine MK2 form factor (only slightly slimmer), but has an 8x8 button matrix in place of the familiar 4x4 pads.

Here is how it looks:

[​IMG]

Giving you direct access to Scenes, Groups and Patterns on the 8 x 8 Matrix and eight Smart Strips at the same time, Jam is aimed at people that want to get going quickly: sequencing, improvising and jamming to build up a Track, prepare an Arrangement or create a live performance.

The Smart Strips are the method of input for parameters on Jam and provide visual feedback for your modulation, parameter settings and anything else that you would expect from a mixing desk. Each Smart Strip can be used with two fingers at once, allowing you to quickly jump between different parameter values.

The new Step Sequencer and Piano Roll modes allow for intuitive programming of your beats, chords and melodies and build up your tracks.

You also have access to the Pad Mode, an extended Keyboard mode that exceeds the span of a normal 61-key keyboard, Note Repeat and the Arpeggiator.

The Perform FX are a collection of eight specialized effects that are designed to be activated and manipulated with the Smart Strips. They work best on Jam, but will also be available to all Maschine customers.

In Notes mode you can use the Smart Strips to play and strum notes as you would with a guitar or a harp. Swiping up and down outputs notes to the current sound, and the Matrix buttons let you assign your own chords to each Smart Strip.

Lock is a new feature that gives you direct access to 64 parameter snapshots, with each snapshot containing every modulatable parameter in your project. You can switch between these instantly, or morph between them synchronized to the tempo. This is a nice tool for extensive modulations, but also very useful to compare mixes.

If you run out of ideas, you can try the Randomizer for inspiration. The Humanizer allows you to loosen up your Patterns if they sound too square by applying variations to the timing and velocity.

Maschine Jam comes with a comprehensive, yet straight-forward Ableton Live Template. Since nearly all workflows are identical to the Maschine workflow, a manual is not really needed. We are also working on templates for other DAWs.

Maschine Jam offers unique features and possibilities and is a powerful instrument in itself. Together with other Maschine Controllers you can combine the specialized features of both, this video gives a little more information here:

Maschine 2.5 will also feature a free Library Update for all users for the Factory Library that comes with new synth patches, new drum synth patches and a selection of Groups with Group Macros.

And as a special offer, existing Maschine owners will receive a voucher for two free Expansion packs of their choice to help them dive into Jam.

So this is Jam in a nutshell, we hope that you will like it as much as we do!

www.native-instruments.com/maschinejam

Benjamin on behalf of 'Team X'

• Like Like x 20
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...after many months I just won a bet with myself...

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. morgendugg

morgendugg NI Product Owner

I am sold if we can capture the performance in the new Maschine "song layer"!!!

• Like Like x 2
  4. SupremeSoulstice

SupremeSoulstice NI Product Owner

SMH...

• Like Like x 3
  5. nabulaer

nabulaer NI Product Owner

as i replied the other thread , I can see the song button on upper left side

6. Tommsen

Tommsen Member

Will 2.4.7 released before Maschine Jam (which needs 2.5)?

7. Nate @ NI

Nate @ NI NI Team NI Team

That's the current plan!

• Like Like x 2
  8. D-J-K

D-J-K NI Product Owner

I know you should never judge a book by its cover, but I can't say I'm very excited about this. I do understand what NI is going for here, and think this closes a big market gap with Push2 and the like, but it really just seems like a live performance tool. I mean functionality-wise it seems like a mirror of any Maschine controller just with 64 pads and some touch strips. I really don't see how this complements the average maschine-owner producer who just wants to sequence and compose full songs in maschine. I suppose it'll be nice to have the 64 pads for step sequencing, patterns, etc. but in terms of full song composition, it seems there is nothing this does that you can't already do on any other maschine controller. There is indeed a 'song' button but that is not explained in any of the videos I saw. All the videos market it is as a live performance tool. And the fact that comes with the maschine software and factory library basically tells me that NI isn't trying to reach a market of existing maschine owners, but rather those who want to get started with maschine at a decent price ( must say, $ 399 isn't too bad ). So while there seems to be some value here, this just isn't something I'm interested in (for the moment at least). And two free expansion packs doesn't butter me up.

What's got me more intrigued now is the 2.5 software . Obvious hints here about variation and randomization features, not to mention the song layer/clips which strangely are not mentioned at all. What I do like is the fact that NI keeps all the software inter-compatible with the entire product line and don't screw over existing maschine owners, and existing users get to reap those benefits of [for now, free] software updates. So if anything, I'm excited to see what 2.5 offers as an existing maschine owner.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  9. Florian G @ NI

Florian G @ NI NI Team

Exactly, this will be possible once we release the Song layer. You can perform with Scenes and Patterns on Jam and then record this as a song, while (optional) Scene linking ensures that you can tweak Scenes later, even after you've recorded the song, and have your changes reflected there.

There's one caveat: Song mode will not be available on Jam's launch day. The guys are working hard on it, but it will take a little longer. In the meantime, Jam already works great to build up different Scenes and perform your material. It really makes quite a difference even without the Song layer.

• Like Like x 13
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. morgendugg

morgendugg NI Product Owner

That is really great news!
    Can you record mutes and solos too?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  11. RudeGullit

RudeGullit NI Product Owner

Not sure about the touch strips, but in combination with the song layer, this looks like a great tool for live dubbing.

12. Florian G @ NI

Florian G @ NI NI Team

Sure, the feeling of those strips can't be conveyed in a video. Whenever you have a chance after Jam hits the stores, do check them out for yourself. We think they feel great and are super responsive, which makes performing on them possible and fun, actually. Together with the new Perform FX and the Lock feature, they can do things faders just can't.

13. Florian G @ NI

Florian G @ NI NI Team

Not yet, taking one step after another (which is not to say we wouldn't love to see this asap).

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  14. SupremeSoulstice

SupremeSoulstice NI Product Owner

Question, and excuse me for my ignorance maybe, but why couldn't this just have been added in the software without creating a new controller. I remember NI guys saying they didn't want to do too much that would change the experience most users are use to. What was the purpose of the open letter again? To tell us you've re-shifted focus back to maschine leading us to believe that the focus was back to Maschine 2, Studio and MK users. I feel like we're being dragged along on some BS. Sorry for sounding rude but this makes no sense. Looks like I may start having to take AKAI as a serious option. All this focus on other stuff and leaving us out in the cold is crazy. I specifically remember people in here saying they believe a new controller was on the horizon as to why things stalled on our end. People called bullocks on that one, wrongfully so..

• Like Like x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. friDAY_GC

friDAY_GC NI Product Owner

D-J-K does make a good point as far as Jam almost being a mirror of other Maschine controllers. But to me as a person who owns 2 Maschine hardware controllers, it offers a different way to approach song creation and manipulation of the software. Welp, there goes another $400 bucks.

• Like Like x 4
  16. RudeGullit

RudeGullit NI Product Owner

I'm not clear on what they can do that faders can't? As far as I can see in the workflow videos, you just move your fingers up and down the strip, like moving a fader. Am I missing something?

17. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...@D-J-K - I'm actually quite excited about the new performance features as they might be inspiring new compositions. I mean, how do most people start a new song - by playing around a bit. Personally, I think a good portion of today's music got so boring, because the production process has lost some level of physicality. And even though I write most of my music with the mouse (maybe that's why it's so boring :)), I believe music will get better, if it's played and not constructed. And I guess, the Jam might open up new possibilities for people that struggle with playing an instrument. Especially the chord features and the strumming looks really interesting...

• Like Like x 2
  18. Florian G @ NI

Florian G @ NI NI Team

Sorry you feel that way. I can assure you, though, that actually, the opposite is true. This controller is part of the focus shift towards Maschine, as are the sequencer and other initiatives. Jam is in itself a commitment to building out the sequencer and improving Maschine's performance recording capabilities. This will directly benefit users of existing Maschine hardware.
    As to why we didn't just add features in the software: We wanted to add another perspective to Maschine. While the current devices are very much focused on the Group and the Sounds, we wanted to offer a "project view" in hardware, so that building up an arrangement is more immediate and fun. Naturally, such an 8x8 matrix lends itself to step sequencing, and there we've also created modes that wouldn't be possible on the other devices. Lastly, the smart strips allow for performance via gestures that also is not possible with knobs. So all in all, Jam brings a lot of new things and perspectives to Maschine, while it stays true to the structure we're all used to. So it should be super easy to grasp for any existing Maschine user. And if it's not for you, then just look out for the software updates that will bring some of the new features that are also possible on the other devices to all Maschine users.

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

... I read that they have two touch points - so I guess, they could be played like a ribbon controller and you might do something like hammer-on/pick-ups on a guitar...

20. Florian G @ NI

Florian G @ NI NI Team

For example jumping directly to a new position, doing a two finger alternating gesture (like a pulse LFO drawn with your fingers), and via Lock, going to extremes with a sound and then immediately jumping back to where you were before.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1