1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Scratch benefits EDM

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by Sanderr, Sep 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sanderr

Sanderr NI Product Owner

Hello,

I am a heavy Traktor Pro user and was just wondering about the benefits that Scratch Pro gives you. I spin Tech-House, Techno, Minimal etc. and don't have the need to be able to scratch like a hiphop DJ, but I still see a lot of people spinning EDM on traktor scratch. I was just curious if most of these are transferring or still used to vinyl because, if i'm correct, traktor scratch doesn't offer you more control than playing with an X1 for example (if you don't do scratching). Or is there anything else i'm forgetting here. Curious to know why you play on traktor scratch vs pro, please share!

2. Frace

Frace Forum Member

scratch pro only gives you the ability to use timecode control

i for one use timecode control because I don't really use loops or effects that much and it looks and is kinda boring just to hit sync

so mainly it's just entertainment for me and the crowd

many people think vinyl is the only good way to go, which is dumb, but i as richie hawtin said in the ni video: there's no point in letting the software do something for you if you don't use the time you get to do something else

3. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

TSP offers no more control than TPRO with an X1. What it does offer is one crucial thing: Tactile Control.

If you learned with vinyl like i did then tactile control can be under your skin and something that you never want to completely leave.
    Its something you either get or dont.

Its certainly a bug that anyone can get bitten by. A lot of people start djing with controller and work backwards (?) to DVS, mainly out of curiosity and find that they like it. Many try it and just dont see the attraction.

Its a personal thing that you know you love/hate straight away.

I encourage everyone to try it. Doesnt matter if you dont pursue it but you have to try it to have an informed opinion.

Its not just about scratching either. Mixing house or hiphop (anything) can be really satisfying with vinyl and when you use TSP you still have the ability to be creative with loops and FX etc just like with TPRO.

Looks to me that you have already got the curiosity to try it..?
    No better excuse than just to see what its like.

Karlos

4. Sanderr

Sanderr NI Product Owner

I am indeed thinking about trying it, there are a few things i would like to know. If i'm right when you engage a loop in TSP the deck control mode changes to relative, then when you get out of the loop i would think it will stay in relative mode so you don't skip to another part of the track, but what happens when you engage a loop at the end of a track and after a few minutes the needle hits the end of the timecode record?

Another thing is ease of use. At the moment i just plug in my soundcard in the installed house mixer, deploy my X1 and i'm done. Is it easy/fast to install multicore cables in the booth while someone else is playing?

5. brooklyndrew

brooklyndrew NI Product Owner

Karlos got it to the point.... He's right. I started DJ-ING back in 1987 and in all honestly, I missed playing with turntables, thats why I ended up buying TSP, which I love. I also use decks C & D for my loops, and instrumentles, etc.... When the needle hits the end of the record it still plays the song out. I also like scratching, cutting, transforming with dance / house music, gives it a little style & pazzaz. Many old school DJ'S think vinyl is the only way to go, but I think differently, cause times have changed... I got with program and so did my DJ friends, just the efects on Traktor alone is worth the change. And by having the option to just carry a MIDI to your GIG rocks! Believe you me, its no fun carrying crates of records. I personally like having control of what I'm doing behind the software, gives me kinda a rush. I say if you know anyone who is using TIMECODE give it a try, you'll definitely get a kick out of it.

6. Karlos Santos

The if you run out of time (10 minutes) in the Playback Zone Traktor will continue to play in the Scroll Zone of the timecode.

If your still gonna run out of time (unlikely) you change to Internal mode and the track continues.

Setting up TSP is a little bit more fiddly that setting up a controller but once you get it sussed its just like anything else thats like second nature. To be honest in some ways its easier cus the Audio 8 is smaller and less intrusive that most controllers.

Karlos

7. Sanderr

Sanderr NI Product Owner

So the timecode vinyl has 2 different zones on it?

Well I would then have to take the Audio 8 and Kontrol X1 instead of AudioFire 2 / Audio 2 DJ (buying soon) and the Kontrol X1 that I take now. Doesn't take that much more space so it's more about the cabling. But I think as you say that the cables should be ok.

8. Karlos Santos

Yeah using the X1 with TSP is a great combination and opens up DVS so you can be much more creative.

You dont need to use the Multicores you can use normal RCA cables and use the Audio Through feature if you wanted to play regular vinyl.

9. djjasoncarroll

djjasoncarroll NI Product Owner

When I can be arsed I pull out my decks and play just to show that I can mix on vinyl I still use my vci for loops and fx to keep my mixes alive, but I much prefer to use a controller so when that drunken muppet wants to tell you there life story before they ask for tiny tempha or what ever that morons name is I dont have to worry about messing up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.