1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Scratch not tracking... Help!

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by ainternational, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ainternational

ainternational NI Product Owner

Just arrived at my gig and something's very wrong: getting no tracking from vinyl: A input shows a vertical line in the tracking box and B Input shows a horizontal line both just say 'waiting' where they should be callibrating... Please help

2. djquartz

djquartz NI Product Owner

Take off your headshells, blow into the tonearm and reconnect them. Make sure they are screwed on well. There is a bad connection most likely causing the issue.

What kind turntables, and what kind of headshells?

3. ainternational

1210s, Ortofon Nightclubs: don't think that's it. Suspect the Audio 8 DJ may be the problem but would welcome any other hints...

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  4. djquartz

What kind of mixer? Did you check to see if the signal is actually coming through both channels on the mixer?

If you're not playing regular vinyl, disconnect the thru connections and just leave the line cables connected to see if there is a grounding issue.

I seen this exact problem last week Saturday and it was the headshells making bad connections in the tonearm. I just blew them out, made sure my headshells were tight to the tonearm and everything was fine after that.

5. ainternational

Thanks: it's an Allen & Heath Xone62: I play on this set up every week - was working fine last week, not this. Both decks aren't reading... an absolute nightmare: it's definitely some kind of connection error, but I'm beginning to suspect there's a hardware issue.
    Never tried mixing with Scratch without vinyl: got a big crowd in front of me (though not as big as tomorrow will be) and just having to mix between various mixes.
    Tomorrow I will eliminate software/computer issues and try everything on my system at home: if that doesn't work I need to find a store where I can buy a new set of cables or interface - can't be in this situation tomorrow night...

6. djquartz

Ok we'll deal with one turntable to rule things out.

- Switch the mixer to phono on one channel to see if the timecode is coming through both channels.

If it is, then it's possible it could be the Audio 8 but I'm not convinced it is.

Take off your cartridge, blow in the connector hard, tighten them again, reset calibration and try again.

I'm positive just by your description that it's a connection issue, either cable wise or tonearm to cartridge.

Did your Audio 8 work at home earlier today? And I assume you already checked the preferences to make sure you're set to Timecode vinyl.

7. ainternational

I checked all that earlier: the timecode did only appear to be coming out of one channel on each deck (one deck left, the other right): usually if that happens there's a warning to say one channel's missing. It is possible that some idiot at the venue has broken both decks in the past week: the connection between headshell and tonearm's ok. I'm right in the middle of 'faking' it with a selection of recordings I've made over the past few months - not something I like doing as a pro DJ.
    I hope you're right about it not being the interface.
    When I get home, I'll be checking everything over on my home system.
    If necessary I can go back to the clone of my laptop system I made a couple of weeks ago - just to eliminate any possible software issues.

8. ainternational

What's very weird is the shape of the signal from both decks in the Scratch boxes: never seen anything like it. Screenshot attached

Attached Files:

9. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

Looks like 1 channel with lots of ground hum
    ---
    Or you've got both left channels from the decks cabled into one channel of the audio8, and both right channels from the decks cabled into the other.
    ---
    --
    One of the good things about TSPro as opposed to old school Scratch is that it is easier to have a plan B, ie a backup MIDI controller - maybe consider upgrading for the future.

10. ainternational

I hope you're right: it's not the latter.

This is going to sound lame, but I've had the Pro Version for over a year and just not got round to moving across to it: looks like I'll be doing it after tomorrow night.
    ---
    Just got home and tested it out on my system: tracking fine. I guess some idiot made a mess of both decks at the venue. Big relief, just means I'll have to take my decks tomorrow night.

A big thanks to all who replied: hope you all have a banging NYE
    ---

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  11. djquartz

I suspected your hardware was fine, I still say try different headshells with those decks if you can tomorrow and see what happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.