Screens off please

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by René must be Unique, Jul 16, 2019.

1. René must be Unique

René must be Unique NI Product Owner

I have a Maschine MK3 and also use it as an Audio interface within Win 10.
    Works perfectly, but I have a request to the NI development team.
    In the next firmware update, may the maschine have an option to turn off the two screens of the maschine hardware.

René

• Like Like x 3
  2. Reefius

Reefius NI Product Owner

That is the biggest design flaw in Maschine MK3. The built-in audio interface and the Maschine hardware should be able to work independently.

3. Spekwerk

Spekwerk NI Product Owner

Really? That's the biggest flaw? lol ok.

I'm curious why the screens need to be turned off though. Are they too bright? I can't think of a situation where that would be the case.

4. RedwardMc

RedwardMc New Member

I hope they don't go in this direction.

5. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

What direction...how could allowing someone to turn the screens off be possibly detrimental?

• Like Like x 2
  6. b-r@nno

b-r@nno NI Product Owner

it would be nice to be able to switch the screens off when only using it as an interface (mk3 just sitting there and doing nothing - why should they stay on?).

i wouldn't bet on it beeing implented. i mean: the JAM itself doesn't even have a power off button o_O

• Like Like x 2
  7. Howl

Howl NI Product Owner

i use a hub with power on/off knobs per usb slot..
    but the jam has a sleep mode template.. only the shift button gets lit..

back on topic: it would be great if the screens could turn off (but even the push 2 hasn't it, so far as i know..).

• Like Like x 2
  8. Reefius

Reefius NI Product Owner

But Push 2 has no audio interface, so you can just switch it off when you don't use it. Switching off Maschine MK3 also switches off the built-in audio interface.
    Many people use their audio interface for everything that needs audio, like Youtube video's, watching movies/TV shows, soundcloud, spotify, ...
    Especially when watching video's those 2 Maschine screens can be distracting. I even put something over my Maschine Jam when watching video's because the Shift button is always lit and it annoys me :D

There is a way to shut off the screens by killing the 2 NI background processes, but then you need to make sure you restart them every time you want to use Maschine. Also, I have no idea if these processes are needed for the audio interface to work.

• Like Like x 2
  9. RedwardMc

RedwardMc New Member

I'm glad they keep the device focused on it's core function as a creation and performance tool, with the interface as an integrated part. Its not a YouTube or gaming box (and for that matter, not pro tools or a faderport). I would be worried about NI's direction if they started implementing even half of the feature requests around here.

10. tempsperdu

Again how on earth would being able to turn the screens off be detrimental to anyone or the development of Maschine?
    What feature requests in particular are you dubious about?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

If they spend time/resources implementing this, it's one other (potentially more important and useful) feature/improvement that isn't being done.

I have no problem with this or other improvements like it, but it's waaaaaaayyyyy down the priority list to me.

12. Reefius

Reefius NI Product Owner

The audio interface should just keep working while Maschine is switched off, or even better: separate on/off switches for Maschine and the audio interface.

13. tempsperdu

To me it would make more sense if the on / off switch were to just allow the audio interface to work without the rest of Maschine.
    The Mk II's never had an on off / switch and I don't remember anyone complaining. I never use the on/off switch on my MK III but I do sometimes hit it by accident and then get annoyed with it :oops::D

14. René must be Unique

René must be Unique NI Product Owner

But that cannot easily be done in the current versions of the Maschine.
    So I thought of a firmware update for the Maschine.
    Of course if that were possible.

René

15. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

I too concur with that comment earlier on....
    NI should only do the stuff I want them to do, what I want is far more important. So there.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. tempsperdu

Yeah but that's only because they ignore you :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1