1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

sd = dead?

Discussion in 'SPEKTRAL DELAY' started by jko, Jun 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jko

jko NI Product Owner

Can't find it on the "Mac OS X has high priority for us"-list anymore. Does that mean SD is dead??????

2. noumena9

noumena9 NI Product Owner

I'm very afraid that NI is almost dead. They have been laying people off, all of their releases have been late and buggy for the last year, Kontakt apparently didn't sell well, etc. And Spektral Delay has had a long history of bad news. It didn't work for most people until 1.5 came out (a very long time after 1.0) and now it looks like it will be left behind on OS9. A realy shame as this plug could really benefit from future uberfast CPUs.

3. lilainjil

lilainjil NI Product Owner

If this is true, then it is very unfortunate news.

Spektral is one of my absolute favourite plug-ins. In fact it I consider it an important part of my setup as a tv/film composer.

I had been looking forward to any updates - especially for OSX/audio units. I agree that it is one plug-in that could really benefit from faster CPUs.

I realize that it may not be the most popular product in NI's catalog, but it would be really a shame if it was no longer supported.

Any official words or thoughts on the fate of Spektral Delay?

4. jko

jko NI Product Owner

... I sent a mail to them asking the same question a week ago, there was no answer (yet). For me it's the same, I use SD very frequently. And in fact it's one of the main reasons I'm still on os 9. I also use Kontakt but I could live without that and I stoped using Reaktor a long time ago because performance was so bad (v2 on my G3).

Does anybody know any alternatives to SD?

An NI, take my word, if this product will not be ported to os x, you'll loose another customer!

5. lilainjil

lilainjil NI Product Owner

"Any alternatives to SD?..."

The only ones I can think of that might be able to handle a similar approach to delaying a signal would be the Eventide Orville or DSP7000. Also the Kyma perhaps? Not really sure.

All very expensive options I'm afraid.

Some digging around here http://www.kvr-vst.com/index.php may find some less expensive and/or less effective results.

Andy

Save Spektral.

6. Arm

Arm New Member

Bruno Time

Should Mr. Clelland take care more of SD and less of Giordano Bruno?
    Mr. Clelland you made a great software and your music is good too.

I use SD under windows (ME and XP) and it works fine if I don't use it more than one time at the same time in vst cubase sx, as insert, send or master effect.
    Am I clear?
    :)
    I hope so,

Arm

7. meeble

meeble NI Product Owner

sd dead?? no way!

please NI, say it isn't so!

I am a huge fan of spektral delay, and I am counting on them releasing an OSX version!

please, save SD!

8. michaelhj

michaelhj NI Product Owner

I absolutely agree, I hope NI checks these forums. Please, pretty, please

9. eddym

eddym New Member

I just bought the NI Bundle special and was assured by the NI salesperson that there is an update to SD for OS X, but that it will be the last app to get the treatment later this year. It does not show up on the schedule page on this website, yet.

Rgds,

Eddy Martinez
    Holos Media LLC
    Healing Sounds, Music, & Images

10. meeble

meeble NI Product Owner

good to hear :)

11. jko

jko NI Product Owner

That's what salespersons are meant to do... I still got no reply to my initial email I sent to them, in the meanwhile I sent another one - still no info.

NI, IS IT SO ****ING HARD TO REPLY WITH YES OR NO????

12. monty

monty NI Product Owner

Spektral delay must be the best Vsti ever written by NI.

On my PC with Logic 5.5.1 it works without fault. Never have I used a Vsti which can change the sonic content of a track so much. Cpu hog ? Yes - but I can bounce and continue.

Probaby the most under-rated NI Vsti around ?

best wishes Monty

13. meeble

meeble NI Product Owner

14. sibbi

sibbi NI Product Owner

Hello all.

Monty, I absolutely agree with you. Spektral Delay is probably the best product in the NI line-up. A very complex, user friendly and interesting plug-in, that has the best delay sound of the planet, but yet smooth and bugfree. That´s rare! The delays offered from Reaktor are good, but Spektral is much better. I bought it some couple of years ago, for a lower price, before the MYPA award. Seems like many have pirated it. I hope the new copy protection system from NI will help them and it´s users...

I just got an e-mail from NI support and I quote "Spektral Delay will be the last product in line of our OS X updates and as
    far as I know there are no improvements planned. It´s the worst selling product here." Well, I don´t need any improvements, because Spektral is always as it is supposed to be. I might need better guitar presets. I hope NI will give us at least some more presets, especially presets for e-guitar, y´know the good old Boss Digital Delay pedal. I am sure that can be managed. Spektral can surely do everything.

Seems like Vokator is not selling good either. The NI effects line has only been a showoff or a commercial for them, not a operating profit. Brilliant stuff though. NI needs better marketing strategies. I am amased by their marketing strategies. Why don´t they have a one forum for all the effects line (Spektral and Vokator). Why don´t they offer special FFT effects bundle deal: You buy Spektral and you get Vokator for half the price, or you buy Vokator and you get Spektral for half the price. Then they need this copy protection system for the effects line too. NI is acting like Robin Hood of software. As computers get faster, there is a place and a future, for the effects line to survive in. Maybe they need to cut down the price a littlebit, because y´know we all have to buy some expensive hardware, to be able to use Spektral properly (the salesmen always forget to include that in the total price). When you are buying hardware effects processor, you are paying for the hardware as well as the software. Well, I guess hardware FFT processor is utterly expensive though.

Best effects.

15. jko

jko NI Product Owner

Great. NI told me it will be continued.

BTW, we might change this into a spektral delay appreciation thread, I really love it!!
    One thing that's bugy: It has big latency, so get the direct throughsignal slightly delayed. Makes it also difficult to use it for in time rythmic stuff, unless i let all other sound run through a bypassed instance of sd.

16. sibbi

sibbi NI Product Owner

Hi delayed spektralists,

I am an ex-drummer with an internal and biologigal beat clock. My SD is always on tempo, tight on the beat. No latency problems for me, both for playing live or in the playback (I mean, how can be a latency there?). My soundcard is Echo Mia, offering me latency of only 6-7 ms. I have heard some guys complain about SD, or at least not getting perfect results. I have to admit, it littlebit irritates me. It´s not good for the reputation of SD. That will lead to lower sales of SD, and therefore stop any development or service for the SD.

What you must have to be able to use SD properly:
    1. Acceptable, 24 bit, low-latency soundcard.
    2. Fast computer (1 gig processor and half gig ram)
    3. A host sequencer software like Cubase or Logic.
    4. Windows XP or other up to date environments.

Standalone: A total crap. To good to be true.
    Cheap soundcards for computer games: Get a life!
    Slow cpu´s: It´s time to upgrade, micer!
    Windows 98: C´mon man. I like Beatles too.

Otherwise, keep on whining about SD...Go ahead dude! Make your day...

...and hava a good one.

17. octolic

octolic NI Product Owner

Happy SD user.
    I think NI wait for all of us to upgrade their CPUs before going ahead ! ;-)

18. monty

monty NI Product Owner

Hi Meeble,

of course you are right. SD is a VST. That was dumb of me. BUT sometimes I can convince myself it is a VSTi since it is capable of changing so much the sonic aspects of the input material.

I love the presets but often I cannot predict how they will behave with an audio track or VST plugin. Usually I get a pleasant surprise.

best wishes, Monty

19. monty

monty NI Product Owner

Hi Danisibjornnin,

I agree with most of what you say but not so sure about Win 98SE.

There are some clever guys on the Northern Source forum who have been doing some good things with 98SE. It can take 1 gig of RAM and apparently it is more efficient than XP with RAM use for now (at least with a Giga sampler).

They have convinced me to put another 512mb memory stick in my PC and go with it for some time. This beats a clean install of XP and all of the re-registration of software.

Not sure if this will improve the performance of SD when it already runs so well on my PC but if it does I'll post here.

Best wishes, Monty

20. tribalogical

tribalogical NI Product Owner

My absolute favorite sonic combination of all time is an Absynth pumped through a Spektral Delay...

I mean, how mosh is THAT???

Ya practically need a super-computer for some of those combos, but man, is it sweeet....

I think I've gotten more flexibility (and amazement) out of that combination than anything else I've ever worked with... truly, truly, worth every penny...

It also happens to be a pretty "voodoo mystic" combination. No easy-going, lay back and cruise learning-curves there! It takes some doing to get either of those under control by themselves, much less together, but it's so worth the effort...

I will be missing SD most of all after this Friday when the Absynth 2 upgrade releases for OSX... Absynth without the SD?? Like toast without butter (or Nutella, or Jam...).

So, NI, please bring us SD for OSX...! :)

peace,

tribalogical

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.