Second Hand Komplete Ultimate 12 Collectors

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Texasfrets, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Texasfrets

Texasfrets New Member

I've been kicking myself since missing out on the 1/2 price Komplete sale back in November. I've been watching eBay for second hand licenses, and have missed out on good deals several times. So last week when I saw Komplete Ultimate 12 for $350 on eBay, I thought I'd better jump on it. I asked the seller if it was the full version (not an upgrade), made sure it wasn't an educational license, that it came with the box and hard drive, etc. I thought I was getting a great deal--too great, perhaps. The ad stated that the seller was in New York and would ship next day.

After I paid, the seller told me he needed my phone number for the international shipping. Turns out it wasn't coming from New York, but from Kazakhstan. This troubled me a bit, so again I asked all the questions about the license being valid, not being hacked software, not being a fake serial or stolen serial, etc. The seller assured me it was all legit, but as I started going through his feedback, I saw he had been selling digital copies of Komplete Ultimate for $100 and had bought Komplete for Mac for $30 from someone. I wish I had checked his feedback first, but I was so excited to get an inexpensive copy that I didn't check until I had paid.

If the software is indeed hacked or a bogus license or something like that, I can get my money back via eBay and/or Paypal. But my question is this: Will I know immediately if the license is fraudulent? I was reading about some folks who thought they had legit Adobe licenses only later to have their license revoked or made invalid because they had been fraudulent (or stolen) to begin with.

I called both eBay and Paypal, and reps from both told me to wait and see if the software is fraudulent or not. But if later down the road it might be deemed fraudulent, how would I know? And by that time, it would be too late to get my money back.

Thanks in advance for any insight, help, or experience you might have with this situation.

2. AL’DREAD

AL’DREAD NI Product Owner

When someone sells their copy/serials of komplete or any native product they have to request a transfer id from native instruments.
    They then give you the transfer Id which you import into your native account , this adds the serials ( because there may be multiple products) to your account , you can then access the products in native access and download them , so you don’t actually need the disk/hd
    So the seller should give you the transfer id
    Via email , and if you want the disk/hd then he can still send them to you , but they are not necessary per say.
    I recently sold my copy of komplete and just gave the buyer the transfer id, I didn’t have the hd anymore .

15 Years ago I brought a Mac OS on eBay and it was a copied disk , I got my money back through eBay after telling the seller I’d report him to Apple for copyright infringement

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Texasfrets

Texasfrets New Member

Thanks for your reply. This is how I thought it would go with the license--the seller would give me a transfer ID. When I asked about getting the serial number and transfer ID, the seller said he had never registered the serial number. He also said he didn't feel comfortable giving me the serial number before the hard disk arrived. I suppose my fear is that he's going to send some generic hard drive with a hacked copy of Komplete and expect me to use that.

I put in a ticket with Native Instruments several days ago, explaining the situation, but they haven't gotten back to me yet. I'm hoping they can help me determine if what the seller is sending is legit software or not.

Thanks again for sharing your experience with this situation. Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  4. AL’DREAD

At the top of this sub forum there’s a thread about getting assistance from ni started by Matt@ni , pm him he’ll be able to answer your questions

• Like Like x 2
  5. Texasfrets

Texasfrets New Member

Super. Thank you! BTW I asked the seller about the serial number again. I told him I already have Native Access installed and I only need the serial number, and he replied in all caps: "WAIT FOR THE HARD DRIVE!" He's not doing much to inspire my confidence in this eBay transaction.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AL’DREAD

Yes I agree it sound a little suspect, the only thing I think the buyer is nervous about is you registering the serial and then trying to cancel the sale ,
    Personally I’d ask eBay/ PayPal to put a hold on the money until it arrives and you are satisfied, that way the moneys safe ,
    I was a new seller when I sold my version of komplete, I didn’t get my money for a week because they put a hold on it , even though I transferred the serial straight away , the buyer didn’t leave feedback, so I had to contact eBay to get them to in hold the money, which they did immediately.
    I also recently brought a cable that didn’t work and the seller said he’d issue a refund through eBay via PayPal but that refund was cancelled by PayPal , probably because he’d cleared his account, eBay had even barred him before I made the request , it was only a £2 so I didn’t bother chasing it up , so, so much for buyer protection.

7. Texasfrets

Texasfrets New Member

I just called both eBay and Paypal and asked about a hold and they said they couldn't do that unless I opened a dispute. They both reassured me though that if the software was Significantly Not As Described that I could get my money back--even if the seller already cleared the money and closed his account. I'm hoping that turns out to be the case (that eBay/Paypal refund me)--or I'm really hoping for the better case that the seller has a legit license and I can register it. Thanks again!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

Few years ago I bought Komplete 10 Ultimate for 200$ (full version, not upgrade/crossgrade). And it was valid licence, original drive. So, it is possible to buy cheap, from time to time. Hope, it is also your case.
    Most probably, next NI sale might be in June. At least it has been always in June, last few years... You could upgrade from K12U to K12U CE for reasonable price.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Texasfrets

Texasfrets New Member

Super. Thanks for letting me know. I'll keep an eye out for the sale in June. Cheers!

10. Matt @ NI

Matt @ NI Support Team NI Team

This does sound suspicious to be fair but I'd be happy to check the license once you get it. I can also have a look at the seller's account if you have his/her email account. Please drop me a PM with more information if you want and I'll see what I can find.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Texasfrets

Texasfrets New Member

That's super. Thanks so much, Matt. I appreciate it. According to the tracking, I should get the hard drive this Wednesday. I'll send you a PM then with the info I have. Thanks again!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lab Rat

Lab Rat NI Product Owner

How did things work out for you. Is it legitimate?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Texasfrets

Texasfrets New Member

The hard drive was supposed to be here on Wed, but it's currently at the JAMAICA NY INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER. The seller's ads were pulled, and the listing I paid on was also pulled. Not sure yet what will happen. I'll let you know when the disk arrives. Cheers.

14. Lab Rat

Lab Rat NI Product Owner

Sent you a pm.

15. Texasfrets

Texasfrets New Member

The software wasn't legit. The seller sent a bubble-wrapped bare 2.5" WD blue drive with a bunch of torrented software on it. Really disappointed but not too surprised. eBay shut down that seller's account, and they said they'd refund my money.

• Like Like x 3
  16. ShelLuser

ShelLuser NI Product Owner

:( Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but good to know that eBay took action. Bummer.. but thanks for keeping us in the loop.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

If you want it make one more try, you could buy K9U here (it is a bit less than 300 US$):
    https://hudebnibazar.cz/ni-komplete-9-ultimate/ID287050/

It is Czech seconhand musical gear forum. I never had problém with sellers there. If the guy does not speak English, I may help you with communication.

I do not know the guy, but he sells lots of other gear. And one more thing. It has happened to me several times when selling stuff, that replied someone from abbroad and wanted "the stuff" right now and pay PayPal and send an courier to get "stuff" right away. It is some kind of scum. They probably want the seller pay for the courier and do not pay for the "item". So, I ignore international buyers most of the time....

So, if you communicate with him. Do not use word "stuff" or "item", but always write the name of software.

EDIT: Correcting my error: K10U instead of correct K9U.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  18. Matt @ NI

Matt @ NI Support Team NI Team

Sorry about this and also happy to hear eBay was able to refund the money.