(second hand) S4 doesn't work with online YT stream (No sound)

Discussion in 'KONTROL S2 / KONTROL S4' started by gandalfvandyck, Mar 18, 2019.

1. gandalfvandyck

gandalfvandyck New Member

Hey Guys and Girls!

I recently bought an S4 after my S2 felt too small for what I wanted to do with my tracks, thus buying a second-hand S4 from a friendly guy. I got a transfer licence from him to NI so that was fixed in the same day, great stuff right?!

Now I connected it to my PC (i7 3770K, GTX 1070, all-in-all a great pc), the S4 is connected through the MAIN L+R (Red + White cables) which goes from L+R to a 3.5mm Jack (I have some Logitech 5.1 set which doesn’t have those L+R), all fine: speakers work, S4 works. GREAT!

Here comes my problem: I mostly stream for friends on YouTube or twitch, and wanted to do this with my new toy. Unfortunately, there was no sound registered in OBS, a program/tool that helps me add webcams and other fun things.

Basically I replaced my S2 with the S4, same place, same setup in traktor (just 4 decks instead of 2 obviously) and respective USB/power cables were changes of course…But the OBS and traktor settings were not changes, yet the audio wasn’t coming through/registering in OBS/Windows 10. ****!!!

I used to get sound to my PC/OBS by connecting a cable (3.5mm Stereo Jack (Female) to 1/4 inch Stereo Plug (Male)) from my MIC port on the S4 to my MIC input (the red/pink hole on the back of my PC). Then I select Aux on OBW/Windows and the sound would appear/listen to the input from there MIC, perfect.

As I’ve said: this doesn’t work anymore, there is literally no sound coming through the mic cable for some reason…I tried resetting traktor, resetting OBS and tried fiddling with settings in TRAKTOR and Windows /OBS (like input, sources etc etc). No solution, also found nothing on the web for this specific issue, it seems everyone has no problems with streaming online on a S4 + youtube? Why do I have this issue?!

Only possible culprits I can think of are the Licenses for S2/S4 and TRAKTOR.

I currently have the following possible downloads on my personal ‘Products, serials & downloads’ page:
    • TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 HW
    • TRAKTOR PRO 2 for TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 HW
    • TRAKTOR KONTROL S4 MK2 HW

All of these downloads give me the same download as far as I can see: Traktor_2_2111_PC.zip.

What Im thinking is that maybe the S4 has a different setup/settings than my original TRAKTOR S2 program had, which means that the settings don’t work correctly with my ‘new’ S4, thus breaking the sound output to my PC. This actually is the only thing I can think of that would stop sound from outputting to my PC, as everything else was pretty much the same as my S2 setup.

Is there a TRAKTOR S4 PRO license in missing? Do I have to reinstall something, did I miss a setting, is there a better way to stream altogether?

I have a macbook available if anyone has a better fix for streaming, I have all the tools but limited knowledge unfortunately, which is why I resorted to you guys and girls to hopefully shed some light on why this problem is happening to only me….

I have added 3 images of the setup/ cables I used to hopefully make this a bit easier to understand…If someone needs further details please ask!!

54202362_2267318886849201_5388441230549975040_n.jpg 54385119_568146380373216_3929993890152579072_n.jpg 54409209_256138205335777_7107059187019939840_n.jpg

2. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

Maybe someone in the forum may have a better answer but I would start with a YouTube search or google. You may find some different options for how to set up.

As well NI support is pretty quick to answer the link for Support is at the top of the page. They typically don't interact much with the forum.

I don't think it has anything to do with your license or activation? My guess is something is different in preferences for your output from the channel you are using.

I also have seen a few streaming setups and many of them use another soundcard (external) and another computer for the streaming part. Usually do to the high CPU usage and/or latency conflicts.
    Many different setups and extreme range of cost and quality for streaming, (which you probably know more about than I do).

• Like Like x 1
  3. gandalfvandyck

hey there Zephyr, thanks for helping.

Yeah thing/problem is that the settings did not change for S2 or S4 but the output/result did (being: s2 could stream music, s4 could not), which is weird obviously haha...

I got the recommendation for external sound cards from NI staff, saying :
    "In most cases the Mic output is set to only output out of the Master channel. So you may need to put the S4 in external mixing mode and route a Live Input Deck to a seperate output to make this work.".

Unfortunately i have no clue what he means and im sad he did not provide some sort of follow up link to a tutorial or something....When i get home after work today im going to google keywords of what he said to see if I can find some sort of tutorial for this 'possible fix'.

If you might have a source which explains what the staff member said, I would be very grateful, alternatively: Im willing to pay money for someone who can fix the settings for me (by way of teamViewer or the likes), because this issue is beyond my comprehension of audio routing/channels etc,.

4. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

Maybe check your Windows control panel "Sound" settings for the microphone volume and preferences for the S4.

5. Damien King

Damien King New Member

Quick question about the grey and black cable, this is connected to "mic" on the s4 and the Mic/line in (pink socket) on your pc?

Thats a Mic input on the s4, there wont be any sound coming out of it.

6. gandalfvandyck

yes, weird thing is on the s2, i did the same, put a cable on the mic port.....im not sure if that cable sent the sound or the usb just sent the sound, but to my knowledge/experience thats how it used to work on my s2, this is why im so confused with this s4, like HOW do i get sound from my controller to my PC....

I recently tried to put cables in the channel A or B, and only got 'some white noise' instead of real music, ugh...anyone here interested in earning money by fixing this issue via teamviewer or something similar? please tell me so we can sort out payment and when to fix this..

7. gandalfvandyck

haha checked those a million times, all are max volume but theres just no sound coming from anywhere

8. Damien King

Damien King New Member

I can help you out. i'm familer with obs studio as well.

9. steviebhoy

steviebhoy New Member

Im not sure if this will help but this sorted the same sort of problem i had.
    I had to buy two jacks from my other main out so I could get sound to my speakers with this setup as you can see in the pic I attached.

On either of your main outs plug them into a new channel. C or D, either or. Make sure you switch them to line in mode. Then in windows go to your audio device manager, go to recording and choose the line in routing you chose for your traktor s4, Channel C or D, make it default. Now in OBS go to audio settings in under Microphone/LineIn choose the audio channel thats lined in to your s4 or default. Volume should come out now, though its under Microphone volume in obs.

Good luck.

Attached Files: