1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Sections grow infinitly

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Mr. RecordBot, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Mr. RecordBot

Mr. RecordBot NI Product Owner

Reproducable bug: When I add a new Section on the right hand corner of the screen, then drag this Section to the right to make it longer, more often than not this Section will then grow forever. On the Controller I can see the "length" parameter constantly rising while the Software is locked up, mouse pointer remains as double-arrow. Only solution is to delete the forever-growing Section via Controller.

Maybe it's due to my widescreen monitor, I don't know, but it happens on a regular basis.

Not gonna report this to NI directly, I'm feed up with their "support".

2. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Whats your OS? I couldn't reproduce this, I also have a widescreen monitor, ultra wide to be more precise. 34" 3440x1440

3. Mr. RecordBot

My OS is Windows 10 Home 64bit.

It usually happens when there's already a full song arrangement in place that makes it difficult to scroll further to the right. Will try to make a video of it, up till then please take my word.

4. Mr. RecordBot

Main Rig is a Ryzen 7 workstation with 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, GTX 1080, RME 9632, one setup with 4k Monitor, one with Ultrawide-monitor (connected to the same PC but used in separate rooms, so not at the same time).

Besides the issues I mentioned couple of times here (but nobody seems to believe), like making the GUI freeze while Maschine extends a Section eternally, for the only reason being I dragged this Section out to the right side of the screen. I now also have similar issues when selecting Midi notes (the selection rectangle just freezes and Maschines seems to want to scroll / select forever until I switch to e.g. ideas view via hardware and so cancel the process), and most anoying: The Maschine GUI in general just became more and more laggy, almost unusably slow, like if your CPU is at 100% (but it's actually just at 8%).

Anyone else has these issues or knows a solution?

5. D-One

What makes you think "no one believes" ?
    Your issue is tagged as a bug here: https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/sections-grow-infinitly.324633/
    No else reported the same issue, probably because its rare that people use an Ultra UHD monitor + 4k monitor + Ryzen + high-end Gaming class GPU.

I would try disconnecting one of the monitors and test it, if it doesn't happen then it's a multi-monitor specific bug and a more detailed bug report can be made which increases the chances of it beeing fixed. I would also try connecting the UHD monitor to the iGPU and the 4K to the 1080. (not sure if Ryzen has iGPU or not though)

6. Mr. RecordBot

Last time I checked this was the case. I'm not monitoring the forum and bug tracker, like you as moderator probably do. Good to know, it's official, thanks. I know, you D-One, are one of the reasonable guys here and be assured you have my respect for your words and your actions. I don't feel the need to apologize that some other people around here, as well as the Company NI, doesn't have my respect for the same reasons.

I have to disagree on that, a GTX 1080 with it's 8GB of VRAM and CUDA capabilities will be found in very many Pro Workstations, ranging from all kinds of task from general graphics design, video editing, 3D modelling & rendering - comparable Quadro cards cost up to 10 times as much and bring little extra value for most professional. In my case, that was also the main reason I got it, not for gaming.

GT / MX and GTX cards will be found in probably 90% of all PCs, even in my Laptop where I have a 940mx and the same issues (and more) appear.

No, a Ryzen 7 doesn't have an integrated GPU, and even if it did, I would not even consider unplugging my 1080 to make Maschine behave. ;)

7. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

Not a VALIDATED bug until somebody else can reproduce.
    (Before you lose it read the capitals, I am not saying it is not a bug).

Please state your display adapter make and model, and the driver and firmware version (latest I hope).

Please run Native Access and confirm with is that everything is up to date (confirm Maschine version, this was posted ages ago, we haven't seen the video either ).

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. CakeAlexS

I've posted on the other thread. Why is there two threads about the same issue? Not sure why nobody is supposed to believe it, on the other thread we are told a video was forthcoming and that never happened.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. D-One

Who came up with that rule? You?
    It's pertinent though, if a Bug is only reported by one person then I would suggest that video proof is required for the thread to be tagged... But if there are to be rules, then they must be discussed and posted somewhere.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  10. CakeAlexS

? Not a rule. This is standard practice. I actually work as a QA engineer from time to time and I've worked in Silicon Valley.

There is a difference between a validated bug and somebody saying there is a bug. That does not mean there is or is not a bug btw. If a bug cannot be validated a bug is unlikely to be fixed.

Tons of people blame bugs on anything and everything, if we are to mark what everybody says is a bug as a bug then we will have loads of false positives and the bug list will be useless waste of time.

But if you want to mark everything somebody says is a bug as a bug without getting it validated then please let me know, I'll just leave this alone and recognise this tagged bug list as useless. Devs are unlikely to pay attention to a big long list of bugs that have not been validated.

11. D-One

Don't be so defensive, there's no need when someone is not attacking you, geez...

I know it's standard practice in Beta programs and software development but this forum is neither. I also know you have some sort of IT related background, it clearly shows and you have said it many, many times, I am not disagreeing with you, relax... I requested the tag personally to have the forum more organized and user-friendly, along with other tags, that doesn't mean it's exactly Official, so far it has been used very loosely and we don't even know if the tag is monitored by NI at all... I am saying that this can be improved, but it must be clear, not everyone has your background and when a user disagrees on a tag decision we must be able to quote some sort of rule as opposed to just saying "hey, its standard practice, I worked in silicon valley" :p

I am all for rules, more organization and improving the forum for the benefit of the whole community but we just can't just claim rules if they don't really officially exist.

12. NTRLX

NTRLX NI Product Owner

We need a bug tracker!

• Like Like x 1
  13. D-One

NI has a bug tracker, it's not connected to the forum though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Mr. RecordBot

That proves nothing, right?

• Like Like x 2
  15. D-One

In my opinion yes it does.
    I merged both threads.

That's a mistake, I had some issues in the past and the support's scan app helped them identify the issue, your choice though.

• Like Like x 1
  16. alpert

alpert NI Product Owner

Shut up! He works in silikon walley
    How dre u

wallet whalet vhalleyt
    i must look in google wtf is vallahi
    valla billa silikon valeyde çalışıyorum hacı

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

This issue appears to be unique to your setup. I say that because it is such an obvious and big issue that if there were more folks experiencing this, it would be reported. Not saying this to discredit you, but for you to look to your local computer setup for the issue and not to NI. It could be a bug/compatibility issue with Maschine and your setup as well, but you need to isolate this to the common component or software on your rig. I would look into your monitors and screen resolution as the first suspect.

18. D-One

When I reported a similar mouse freeze issue it was the same deal, no one else complained and support couldn't help because my system is unique and they "couldn't reproduce", the difference here is that my computer is really unique so it's was understandable even though i dont have any problem with any other software, and i use a lot of software... He has a normal computer, it might be uncommon for Music producers to have two large displays but it's not really an oddity.

A year later some more people with normal computers started reporting the same error as me... It turned out it wasn't because of my system uniqueness at all, I suspect the same could be happening here, especially since the issue is so similar. That's why it should be reported.

The mouse locks when you drag the resizeable section and the mouse touches the right border of the screen, if the windows are fullscreen I would try maximized instead or make the window slightly smaller so that the right side has a few pixels of space, worth a try.

• Like Like x 1
  19. CakeAlexS

Well done for supplying a video.

If others can reproduce then there's a better chance your issue can be fixed, then you can report it to devs and state others were able to reproduce and they are more likely to take you seriously. You want that to happen don't you or are you just posting here to vent?

Do we need to wait another 3.5 months for this info?

20. CakeAlexS

So what are you doing with this bug tag, tagging validated bugs, tagging what people are saying are bugs, or just tagging what you think is a bug?

IMHO as a suggestion there should also be a "validated" tag and a "cannot reproduce" tag.

BTW I used to work on Silicon Valley, and occasionly still do, so I know everything there is to know ever about everything (just said that to annoy alpert who was clearly very impressed indeed, I know he's always been a fond admirer of myself, and looks up to me as a kind of hero, stick around kid and learn).

Wow I can't stop laughing at my wit sometimes...