1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Massive X, Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Seeking solution to run ARP with external keyboard.

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Wilmar Boer, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Wilmar Boer

Wilmar Boer NI Product Owner

Right now I'm the happy owner of a Jam, Studio and 76 key Roland A50 controller. I like that keyboard and it's action a lot, in my opinion 76 key controllers of the quality of the A70 and A50 are not build anymore. But in Maschine you don't get the arpeggiator running from an external MIDI controller that's not NI's (bummer). I know that with both the Studio and Jam you can play arpeggiated notes using the pads, but I'm a piano and keyboard player for over 30 years now, so I'm much more comfortable with keys. And I do not want to switch to a 61 key controller.

What ways do you guys use to get arp'ed notes in Maschine using MIDI? I'm considering to add something like a second hand Yamaha RM1X to use for ARP's to my setup. But any tips are welcome. (And it really frustrates me that Maschine has a great ARP with a crippled implementation.)

2. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

One way would be to use a reaktor arp, but then you can only play a reaktor instrument. Use instruments with arp, but normally they are not that good as maschine or kk one. Or use a daw like reaper or cubase but you said within maschine.

Uwe

• Like Like x 1
  3. Reefius

Reefius NI Product Owner

If you've been playing piano and keyboard for 30 years, you can probably play all those arps manually :D

• Like Like x 2
  4. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

You can use a ton of MIDI standalone fx software out there to grab the MIDI output from your keyboard and send "edited" data to Maschine's MIDI input, for arps, hold, and a million other MIDI stuff. There are even small hardware units that can do that.

• Like Like x 1
  5. basehead617

basehead617 NI Product Owner

The ARP not working for MIDI input is purely intentional crippling by NI in order to sell S/M keyboards. Pretty unforgivable IMO.

6. MtwoJ

MtwoJ New Member

Yeah, that's what I did. Komplete kontrol software in standalone mode allows the use of arps/chords with any keyboard. Then you just send the MIDI from KK to the Maschine MIDI input.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Wilmar Boer

Wilmar Boer NI Product Owner

Yes! Great tip. Starting Komplete Kontrol and not loading an instrument but just routing midi via the virtual KK midi port to Maschine gave me all Scale and Arp features of KK! Thanks a lot!

• Like Like x 1
  8. MtwoJ

MtwoJ New Member

No problem - glad it worked for you!

9. basehead617

basehead617 NI Product Owner

Geez if it's that easy to circumvent, they need to just allow the arp to work external midi by default!