Sending MIDI to External MIDI Plugin???

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Orbit-50, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Orbit-50

Orbit-50 NI Product Owner

I can't even think straight right now. For days I've been trying to send midi out to an external midi plugin (Scaler, Cthulhu, etc...) and have it come back into maschine MK3 so I can record the MIDI. I found nothing on the internet, or in the manuals. The onboard Maschine arpeggiator is useless because it has no trigger settings, and the harmony feature doesn't allow inversions, or any type of chord manipulation features whatsoever. I'm at the point where I just want to return this thing and be done with it. Sorry if I sound upset but I just can't imagine why this is so difficult or impossible to do this.

2. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

You would at least need 2 virtual midi cables to send it out and back in. You could also load maschine in a daw like cubase load the midi plugin there record what you want save it and then open stand alone again. Really no fast thing to do.

Uwe

http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html

3. Mystic38

Mystic38 NI Product Owner

if you are hosting the midi plugin in Maschine then no, this is not possible as Maschine does not support this type of midi routing.. but it can be done with external hardware gear... if your plugin is standalone and not in maschine environment then you need virtual midi cable like loopBe or similar..but be careful and selective about the midi routing.

You have identified an area where Maschine is really quite lacking, and personally, given the 16 pad restriction, a set of programmable chords would ease note entry a huge amount, but until programmable chords and programmable arpeggiators are available, this is what i do..

a) I use a launchpad Pro, set to scale mode with a layout same as Push 2 for chordal entry.. this makes inversions and octave + chord forms across 4 octaves very straightforward... admittedly the pads are not as responsive as maschine so oftern i need to adjust velocity after the fact.., i also programmed one of the buttons to be sustain.
    b) I use a hardware synth with programmable arpeggiator as my arp generator.. managing the midi i/o allows this to work... in my case i mostly use the Novation Nova desktop, as after the Virus it is my most used synth.. I also sometimes use a Waldorf Micro Q but if looking for an excuse to buy something new, the Blofeld would be the choice..

4. Orbit-50

Orbit-50 NI Product Owner

Hey thanks Mystic for your suggestion and I really appreciate you taking the time out. Here's the thing though, Maschine is exactly what I was looking for because I wanted to get away from my big computer, and tons of hardware, wires, etc... and use just one device connected to my laptop and be free from all that carp. Maschine has fulfilled this dream with flying colors. The difference is drastic for me, because for some reason I've been doing amazing things because of the time I've been spending with just me and this full featured workstation without the computer monitor slapping me in my face. The only expectation left for me, would be the ability to fire off some "one button" chord stacks of my choice, and an arpeggiator that allow me to trigger the start point. The bummer is the fact that Komplete Kontrol has a much better set of tools that I would been happier with, so I know it is possible using NI software to achieve this. Why they've only included these tools in one product, and not the other, is beyond me. Funny thing is, that I have every DAW known to man, but I really like the Maschine 2 software for creating stuff. This is something that I did not think I would care for when I purchased Maschine, but the integration with the MK3 is outstanding. Why would I want to use Live or Cubase with the MK3, or anything else for that matter. I literally have zero complaints about the Maschine 2.0 software other than the lackluster MIDI performance tools included, and the exclusion of internal MIDI routing which would allow me to integrate the tools that I have that are better suited for these tasks. I'm now forced to try to find a workaround that is much less than integrated, and now I feel like I've purchased nothing more than a fancy controller with a browser and sequencer software included, and that's all it is to me at this point. I've spent way too much time trying to get this problem solved to the point that I've given up, and will have to return it, and now I have to go back to Push 2 and Live which is not as great as Maschine for that true hardware workstation feel that I'm desperately after. I am so freaking bummed right now.

5. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Another option is to use reaktor but then unfortunately you can "only" trigger reaktor instruments.

Uwe