Solved Session Guitarist overlapping notes problem

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by PeterFJ, Jun 9, 2020.

1. PeterFJ

PeterFJ New Member

Hey guys!

I'm using Session Guitarist (Electric Sunburst Deluxe) and I'm getting a weird problem with overlapping notes with certain chord changes.

There are no midi notes overlapping in my DAW and the problem depends on the pattern/style. When I fx switch from Ibiza A to Ibiza B the overlapping note problem is fixed with some chords, but then occurs on different chords changes that was not a problem before.

So some chord changes gives overlap issues with some patterns.

I can fix the overlap by cutting the midi notes 1/8 (and setting the corresponding latch mode accordingly) before each chord change, but that creates a small cap in the audio. A noticeable gap.

I'm using FL Studio 20 (latest version) and newest version of Kontakt and Electric Sunburst Deluxe.

Does anyone have an idea of what the problem might be?

2. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Attach the MIDI as a zip or it will be really hard to guess what going on over there.

• Like Like x 1
  3. PeterFJ

PeterFJ New Member

Good point! Thanks for the input. I have attached the midi data.

I just tried again to import that same MIDI data into a brand new project. When I play the attached MIDI data with Electric Sunbursts first pattern/preset called "Ibiza A" the first chord change (which will be between the first and the second chord) makes kind of an overlap between the chords. It sounds like it plays both chords for a tiny split second. If I switch to the next pattern "Ibiza B" the very same chord shift/transition is perfectly smooth without overlap.

ALSO if I select "as played / no voicing generator" there are NO overlaps no matter which pattern/preset I use. I'm wondering if the voicing generator causes the problem?

Its awesome VST so I really hope to find the answer :)

Attached Files:

4. D-One

I dont have the Deluxe version so I tried it with the regular Electric Sunburst, if the pattern change is perfectly quantized in time, a little bit of the previous pattern still plays before the new pattern starts to play, maybe it's due to latency? How are you triggering the Patterns if there are no key switch notes in the MIDI? (it's the C1 to G1 range).

I can't tell you exactly why it happens as I am not a Kontakt expert but i can tell you what fixes it for me in case no one else replies, put the key switch notes on the MIDI data and make them slightly ahead of time, like this:
    [​IMG]

This is how I personally deal with it but if it's the "correct" way i dont know. In the example above I am changing the pattern midway thru the first chord but the same applies during a chord change.

hope it helps.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. PeterFJ

PeterFJ New Member

Thanks for the input.

I've tried all buffer sizes in my DAW and these settings dont seem to cause the problem.

I dont trigger pattern changes during the playback. It is just one chord progression played with one pattern. The reason I mentioned different patterns was because I tested the same chord progression with multiple patterns to see if the problem persisted.

I just tried offsetting the midi notes slightly ahead of time as you suggested. It actually solves the problem with overlap. But it also breaks the pattern a bit, and messes with the flow.

Maybe I should ask via the kontakt support system`?

6. D-One

No problem. Asking support will probably take a while, for that kind of question I would just ask in the Kontakt Forum, plenty of knowledge users there.
    https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/forums/kontakt.33/

• Like Like x 1
  7. Blindeddie

Blindeddie NI Product Owner

Actually in the Tips and Tricks section of the ES manual, it is recommended to place pattern changes a bit "Early" in order to give it time to decide on a proper transition based on the chord change as well.. Here is what it says...

"To create realistic sounding transitions between chords, do not quantize your keyboard performance. Instead, make sure that all chord and pattern changes are played as early as possible. This way, ELECTRIC SUNBURST can anticipate that a chord change or pattern change is about to take place, and perform the transitions between patterns and chords in the most natural way."

it is also recommended to end the chords a little early. you can also try playing around with the Latch mode timing on the Playback.

Page 32->33 of the manual have a couple of graphics that might be worth taking a look at.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. PeterFJ

PeterFJ New Member

Forgot to reply in the thread. You are completely right, the chord changes must be programmed like 1/16 ahead in time. That solved the problem. I thought I already had tried this, but guess I hadn't. But now it works perfectly. Thanks! :)