1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Setting "arm" Recording For Tracks

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Kacper Graczyk, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Kacper Graczyk

Kacper Graczyk New Member

What I'm really missing when jaming and playing live improvisations with Maschine is dedicated "Arm" recording button for track. Now when I push the record button all events that are incoming to maschine are recorded e.g.
    I have a beat step pro with own sequencer as midi input and maschine is recording not only note events that I'm taping with my fingers on maschine but also is recording all the sequence events that are incoming via MIDI. This is causing some drops and extra note events.

This option could work opposite - record all track would be always on but you could turn off this option in the track settings.

• Like Like x 4
  2. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Changing the recording behavior would get a massive amount of people angry.
    People are used to and like the record what is in focus behavior, so something like this would definitely need to be a toggle option... although i find odd i never seen anyone else having this sort of problems before. Maybe your issue with the beat step pro can be fixed with routing setup? MIDI Channels? A Software app to intercept and block specific MIDI messages? Not sure since i don't have external gear with built in sequencers.

Lets see what other users
    thoughts on this are.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Although I haven't seen it mentioned for a while, it is a long-standing suggestion that has been made and discussed a few times.

Here are a couple of old threads for a couple of perspectives:
    https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/arm-track-feature-new-record-mode.262222/
    https://www.native-instruments.com/...tive-group-only-option-in-preferences.233155/

Adding this wouldn't have to break anyone's current workflow, as the current behaviour could continue to be the default with a default option for record arming in preferences, then only users who want to use it would have to bother with it.

While there are standalone use cases (e.g., multiple users in one instance playing simultaneously, external sequencer), the main benefit of this would probably go under "DAW integration" for users who want to be able to play around in Maschine while still sequencing from the host.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Oohhh.. I see. Reading the other treads i understood the suggestion a little better. Seems like it would be a very nice addition! :)
    +1

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kacper Graczyk

Thanks for mentioning this old threads and sorry for opening new one.
    About the routing. I tried many things, but each time you start to filter/mute etc. notes before they arrive to Maschine your sequence made in other sequencers simply mutes. I found a work around using ableton live to host 2instances of Maschine. But in live situations it's starting to be complicated. You need to be aware in which instance you are, what are you triggering etc. And you need to use other software :/

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

But you can set midi in standard to none instead of the standard focus setting under preferences and set it to your beat step as needed per sound or group.

Uwe

7. Kacper Graczyk

Imagine you have a pattern on your stand alone sequencer - some drums, bas and the sounds are triggered from you maschine as grups/sounds. You also have a sound on maschine and you are starting to play some chords using the maschine built in chord sets. You like the progression you want to record it. But beside recording your progression played on chord sets you are also recording all the data that are incoming from sequencer. In this moment you have two midi sources external seq and internal maschine new created pattern. If you could exclude some groups sounds from recording would be very helpful :)

8. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Yeah thats right - in this case you could only record the midi from the external midi sequencer or record it to audio on a free pad in the group then disable the external sequencer. And record the chords but that's a workaround. But for live use not practicable. So the best is to use two instances like you do already.

Uwe

9. Common Sense

Common Sense New Member

+1 to this. Has the same observation using drum sequencing with the BSP. In somme way this can be resolved using a mute on a BSP when the pattern is looped. Useless in a longterm.

A good name for this mode may be "Ignore external midi events" - this does not removes a functionality because a classic recording method is not affected;
    "Standalone Sampler Mode" - this may ignore the Maschine REC mode and just make the macros available.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Depka

Depka NI Product Owner

Still not done :/ is NI even listening to it's customers ffs ? Do at lest this since you don't want to go "DAW way" with maschine SW !!!!!!!!!!

11. skhm

skhm NI Product Owner