side chaining with the vc 2a

Discussion in 'STUDIO FX' started by lovefyi, Nov 19, 2012.

1. lovefyi

lovefyi Forum Member

ok I genereally know what im doing or can research it... but i cant find something incredibly simple.
    there are side chain functions on the vc2a, how do I send it a signal to side chain? I cant find an option for an input rather than just putting it on the channel

2. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

What software are you using?

3. lovefyi

lovefyi Forum Member

Logic or ableton

4. lethal_pizzle

Not sure about Logic, but in Ableton, turn the 'sidechain' radio button on the VC2A GUI which should be placed on the track you want to effect.
    Now if you click the 'Audio To' button on the Ableton track you want as your sidechain source, and send the audio to the track you want to be effected, you should be able to select the VC2A's sidechain input.

5. lovefyi

lovefyi Forum Member

Awesome. Didn't think to look for a selection on the channel. I don't know why it doesn't have a more "built in" way, such as abletons own compressor.

Again thanks Ill give this a try

6. lethal_pizzle

Hope it works.

7. ashtarbrian

ashtarbrian NI Product Owner

yeah, this is not the most elegant solution. I usually have a dedicated kick track sent to sends only as to apply or try different side compression options on multiple tracks, the way native instruments have implemented it, you have to make a specific track to send to each instance correct? why would it have been so difficult to implement side chaining the way everyone else does?